PDA

View Full Version : March 25 SE Qld report + Harro pic

Nugget
26-03-2002, 02:34 AM
Banana prawns have been patchy with some anglers reporting good catches and others, including myself this week, spending hours throwing for a handful.
There were a large number of boaties throwing cast nets around Pitt Rocks in the Logan on Sunday morning and while results weren’t brilliant, most caught their bucket limit before lunch.
The most productive area was directly in front of the gazebo, but don’t get too close to the rocks or you will do major damage to your net.
I also picked up quite a few luderick in the cast net while throwing along the deeper mangrove lined banks and there have been good reports of luderick in the Pine River this week.
It is early seasons yet, but the keen luderick anglers should start thinking about brushing up their gear and trying their favourite haunts.
I spoke to several bait fishermen between the mouth of the Logan and Pitt rocks over the weekend and they were all complaining about the number of sand crabs eating their bait, several had caught a good feed on the line.
It would be worthwhile to take a few dillies if you’re going to be in the area over the next week.
Land based anglers fishing the bayside foreshores, particularly around Wello and Cleveland Point, have been plagued by small bream, but those putting in a little more effort to be there at daylight or dusk have been able to take a feed home.
Mackerel in the bay have been patchy, to say the least.
Most productive areas have been around the Four Beacons and the beacons down the shipping channel east of Bribie.
Berley has been and mid-week fishing with less boat traffic has been the key to finding fish.
The Sunshine Coast has been having one of the hottest tuna seasons in years with macs, longtails and bonito in almost plague proportions and a smattering of Spaniards mixed in.
There were plenty of chopper tailor in the surf around the Pin Bar before the wind got up this week and looking further south we could be in for a great tailor season with reports of monster fish around six kilo being caught from the coast between Evans Head and Iluka.
Last year’s Straddie Classic winner Jamie Larwell landed two over six kilo in successive casts from Airport Beach during the week.
ENDS
Dave Downie ><>

http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/uploads/RodHarrisoncopy.jpg
Harro with a quality fly caught cobia, caught on the western side of Moreton Island

Wesley_Pang
27-03-2002, 06:41 PM
Dave,

That's an awesome Cobia. Makes mine look like a tiddler. Those cobia are tough fish.

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~wpang/Cobia.jpg

Hope to catch up with Harro at the Sunshine Coast Flyfishing Expo in a couple of weeks.

Wes

Nugget
28-03-2002, 02:55 AM
They go hard Wes - when you first see them in the water they always look to me like a shark coming in.
Once on board they look more like an overgrown catfish than anything else - what a "compliment" - catfish cobia!!

Nice fish Wes.

Dave ><>

Jack_Lives_Here
28-03-2002, 05:22 AM
Yeh seen 'em when I've been diving. You catch a dark shape out the corner of your eye and the heart beat rises. I had 4 Yellow Tail kingies playing in the bubble trail at Julian Rocks one year and they were as long as me, not as fat though - BIG fish.
Seen guys cut them off thinking they were a shark.

Wes, do you berley them up and cast to them them ??? ??? Got the new rig set up for pelagics now so keen to give anything a shot. Been tying baitfish / whitebait flies the last 2 nights.

All the best
Dave