PDA

View Full Version : Cairns Fishing Update

Fishcairns
29-03-2002, 03:13 PM
8)FISHING REPORT

By now I should have reported on the big "wet", flooding rivers, life refreshing rains and the occasional scare from an rapidly approaching cyclone or two. Well, this year none of that has happened – yet. If we were to get a late wet at this time of year it would be very unusual indeed. There has been just enough rainfall to keep the place green and to cool us down.

This has been great for the tourists however with little complaints about being soaked or accommodation bound. The long range forecast for Easter is also looking good, by all reports the roads north to Cape York are open with care and the local campgrounds should do a roaring trade. Fishing the remote regions of northern Australia is always a huge plus early in the new season – the early bird catches the worm (read experiences brilliant fishing)

Rivers & Estuary

I have been lucky enough to score a few trips out with my good mate Terry Holman of Fish Hunter fame. Terry is a well-known local guide and is probably one of the most experienced river lure fisherman in these parts. Our primary goal on these outings has been to travel as far up the rivers as possible, to the sweet water reaches, and target sooty grunter, jungle perch, tarpon and juvenile barra.

The lack of rain has had a down side in that most tropical streams have not had that really big flush, on many occasions we have had to walk the boat over shallow rock bars and rapids. A fantastic adventure I might add and the fishing suitably impressive.

Using light 6kg spinning outfits (loaded with 15 lb braid) and tossing small popper lures we have had a ball landing good numbers of the above mentioned species. Sooty’s have been the prime performer with catches averaging over 20 per outing. Some surprising barra captures have also been witnessed, fish of almost a metre in length not that uncommon and giving us one hell of a fight on the light string.

Downstream, due mainly to the lack of fresh water flow and unfavourable tides, has not produced as well but still there has been enough action on quality barra, trevally, jacks etc to keep up interest. By all reports this past week / ten days has seen increased activity and fishing returning to its best. Big barra are about, maybe there will be a late spawning, and plenty of good quality jacks in the mangroves.

Rocky Headlands / Sport Fishing

Both operators here are having some brilliant outings. Only yesterday Justin of Cairns Coastal Charters landed a dozen quality spanish mackerel on trolled gear. Other recent captures included various trevally, cod and nannygai. The calm conditions has led to some brilliant days on the water.

The Reef

This has been a real mixed bag lately – it all depends on the prevailing conditions. After a bit of a blow or some cooling rain the fish have been chewing their heads off. Some operators have bagged out early while on other days they have struggled to get quality numbers.

The change of seasons should see some consistency creep back into this fishery.

Note – there is a move afoot to introduce a closed season for coral trout. The unprecedented demand as a commercial (live trade) food fish has placed a lot of pressure on this species and has many interested parties / groups very concerned about the future of this fishery. More to come shortly!

Blue Water / Sport Fishing

We are just about to enter our prime months for this light tackle fishery. Small marlin should start to show up in a few weeks time along with the many Pacific gamefish that call these waters home for the next six months. Spanish mackerel are about in quality sizes and G.T. popper fishing is also a big bonus at this time of year.

This fishery has come under some serious expansion in recent years and is now firmly entrenched as a "must do" for the serious game fisherman. So much so that, due to demand, we have just released a new section under G.T. Popper Fishing – check it out on our charters pages.

Cape York

You should have been here yesterday, how often do we hear fisho’s say that. Well, this is what our guides are telling us from Weipa. The early end to the wet season has seen this fishery just explode into action this past week, unfortunately there are not many anglers around to experience some of the best run off fishing see for years. On the blue water trevally of all shapes and sizes are chewing their heads off while up the creeks and estuaries barra are just going crazy.

The following is provided by Gary Wright of Seisia:

The monsoon trough has slipped back over the top this past week, bringing some heavy rainfall to much of Cape York. Freshwater run-off has been obvious in some locations, but for most of the coastline there hasn’t been a noticeable affect on the fishing.

The reefs around the coastal Islands just below the top of Cape York continue to fish well with good mixed catches of emperor, parrotfish, coral trout and cod. Some of the most productive locations are less than 500m off the beach and one mixed catch from such a spot included a 31/2 kilo coral trout.

There has been a good run of golden trevally along the beaches and a number were caught off the Seisia Wharf this week – the biggest being a 6 kilo fish. Small queenfish are everywhere, and anyone with a fly rod would have had a ball fishing the small creek mouths along the coast. Barra and fingermark have been a bit slow this week, but some good catches of mangrove jacks were recorded from a couple of west coast rivers.
Gary has a new presence on our web site too, for the complete picture on his "back yard" and the brilliant fishing opportunities available at the tip of Australia, check out the link on the charters page of Fishing Cairns.

Well I’m off to Kurrimine Beach just after Easter (have to work over the long break) and I am taking the family down there for a week while I con some of my fishing mates / guides to take me our for a day or two!
See you on the water.

Regards, Les Marsh

http://www.fishingcairns.com.au

Brett_Finger
30-03-2002, 03:45 AM
les,
mate i kick myself on a dailey basis for leavein cairns last year, not long now (hopefully) and i'll be back !!!!
Hookin,Brett

Fishcairns
30-03-2002, 04:08 AM
8)Hi Brett,
I know how you feel - I was the same when I left Darwin all those years ago. You should see the weather today (Good Friday).........just puuuuuuurfect!
Regards, Les.