PDA

View Full Version : Mount Isa Fishing

staggy
30-03-2002, 08:23 AM
Hey everyone.

Just thought I'd let you's know how the fishing out here at Mt Isa is at the moment. My eldest son and I travelled out to Lake Julius last weekend to chase some sooties. Early morning & late arvo was the best times with some explosive surface strikes keeping us on out toes. Through the heat of the day the fish stayed deep and trolling was the best way to hook up but as I prefer to cast we just kept flicking at the million snags along the shore line. The odd fresh water croc, feral pigs and bird life also made it an interesting trip.
We were crusing along with the electric casting into some likely looking snags when we disturbed a boar having a camp in the water surounded by lillies.I damn near fell out of the boat when he realised we were there and bolted out of the water and took off up the bank. Total sooties for the weekend was around 25, some up to 45cm. The rest of the fish were made up of Longtoms, Archer fish and only the odd cattie. Closer to home Lake Moondarra has been good to those who put the time in for Barra. Some anglers catching up to 10 in a session. One fish caught last week measured 93cm. Well got to go, enjoy your easter everyone .

Staggy

Staggy

Fitzy
30-03-2002, 08:47 AM
Hi Staggy,
Thanks for the report. Any reports from East Leichardt?

Those lakes up there have been on my "must do" list for a while now. http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm25.gif

Cheers,

Fitzy.

staggy
30-03-2002, 11:15 AM
Hi Fitzy,
as yet I have not fished East Leichardt and I have not spoken to any one who has fished it lately.
All the blokes from work have headed off to Kurumba chasing salmon and grunter over easter. I stayed home to try and save some money. I forgot to mention that we were the only boat out on the water at Julius. The whole dam to ourselves. That was hard to take. We have just picked up our first cruiser wagon so now I can get out to some of the harder to get to fishing spots. When we do I'll let you's know how we go. Catch ya later.
Staggy

bradley1
01-04-2002, 10:48 AM
Cool,i used to live in mount isa about 7 years ago back when i wasnt so much into fishing.

Do you know if its true that you can catch fish in lake wogaboonya (Gunpowder) ?? dad and me used to drive past there alot and he said you could,but i thought it looked to weird to have fish in it :-)