PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Mud With Webby

aquarius
30-03-2002, 10:23 PM
;)Late on friday afternoon Webby and I headed across to Mud Island....Conditions were a bit choppy with a 15 knot wind blowing from the south.......We anchored close to a bomie on the western side......Storm clouds started to appear to the north of us as we started to soak a few baits...after about ten minutes my line started to peal off the small ABU reel.......I new it was something big as it took off like a freight train.......a few minutes later Webby netted my spottie mackerel of 3.5 kilo,s......Then the rain came pouring down......we stayed at this location until the rain had eased and then headed to the rock wall at the nothern tip of mud........we managed to catch 2 grassies and 1 small shark at this spot........the weather had started to change for the worst so it was time to pull the pin and return to the boat ramp.Many thanks to Webby for allowing me to accompany him on this trip.
http://www.ausfish.com.au/fitzy/images/SpottedMackerel.jpg
Image inserted by Fitzy..

Lucky_Phill
01-04-2002, 03:51 AM
That was an interesting night. #My mate Mark and I left manly at 4ish and passed Webby at mud at around 4.45. #We tried to get to a spot on the N/E cnr of Mud, but the wind wasn't doin us any favours. #Came around to the lea side and found a nice little run off. #Parked about a good casting distance from the Water Police Boat. #( SC KID ). #Saw Webby out there near the Beacon. #Managed 6 undersize bream and then a ripper Estuary Cod. # That's about the time it started to rain. #Only having an open tinnie creates a problem. #

Well it started to pour, lightning flashing, etc etc. #Like 2 drowned rats we sat in the boat, rods in, under a tarp, considering a fire place in a pub somewhere. # :-[

After 40 mins or so, I thought that there could be a little water gettin in the boat, so I flicked on the bildge pump. #Man was there some water there. :o

The rain eased, so like Webby, we headed back for home . #Now if you people know that area, you'll know that the passage between Mud and St Helena can get filthy under right conditions. #Those conditions were met. #3 meters forward 1 back, breaking waves and as lumpy as me old mum's custard. # :-/

Made it to the calm of in side St Helena and checked out the jetty area, but alas, no fish, then off to the ramp. #Well so I thought. ???

Just passing the N/E beacon / flasher on Green, #cough, #cough, #cough, and sure as shit, the Yammie is out of fuel. # Now before you start going on about taking spare etc, I regularly do this trip. #My tank holds 25 litres and takes me 51 klms in good conditions. #I usually have about 8 - 9 litres in the tank upon return from these trips. #But , conditions as they were, not getting on the plane etc, really took it's toll on the juice.

Don't panic, I said to mark. #Who was just getting over the Mud / St Helena Passage saga. #I'll call my uncle. #Changed my mid and called Manly Coast Guard ( to my embarrasment ). #But, my ph, wallet, am/fm radio etc being in a Tupperware container under the seat, managed to get 1 inch of water in it. Little crack around the seal did it. # :-[

Phone dried out enough to get message to the Coats Guard. #10 minutes later they were there and passed over a jerry can and a hose. #Jezz that petrol tastes good #:P

Got back into harbour and went to pay my dues to the guys for helping us out. #$80 fee and $10 donation. #But, at the end of the day, it's good they are there. :)

OH ! by the way, just as I threw the pick out and waited for the fuel, the moon ( full ) popped his head out from behind the clouds and lite the place up.

No, that's not the end. #Next morning, pulled the boat from under the house to wash, clean etc. #Having done that, open the front hatch to check gear, pulled stuff out, Tackle box, FULL, Lure box , FULL,, # :'( #everything under the floor area had got wet. #Bugga ! # I suppose it's a good time to clean out and refill the gear. # That's my Easter Sunday job.

Well, this'll be my Easter Report. #I'll put this one down to experience # ;D

aquarius
01-04-2002, 06:54 AM
:)G,Day Lucky or not so Lucky Phil.....Boy you 2 were brave to tackle those conditions on friday night.......Webby and i were saying to ourselves i wonder if Lucky Phil and his Mate are still out here in this shocking weather !!
I said to Webby surely the boat will be half full of water by now.you won't get me out there in an aluminium boat with those lightning strikes around.
Did you take a pic of that cod? Webby took 1 of the spotty mackerel i caught but for some reason i can't post it up on the site....Webby said Ausfish were having a problem with the attachments.They say fishing sometimes is a chalenge will you sure got 1 on friday night. see ya mate.
Cheers Brent

webby
01-04-2002, 03:41 PM
;D ;D good to see u had a enjoyable nite phill, i had full
covers on me half cab plus we had full rain coats and we
still got soaked, when she hit the rain was horizantal coming
into the cab , but put it all down to experience, i been in some
choppy seas out there but what we hit coming out of the river
i think made brent think twice about coming out with me,
but me old rig ploughed through her quite comfortable, a few
big sprays over the bow, at least we caught a decent feed
a few big bust off, so i'd say there were some big mack
down below, should have gave me a call and would have
come to the rescue ;D ;D ;D , trip home was better then the
one out , but quite and enjoyable trip got Brent a good feed
and had lots of fun, Brent and I also had some fun with some
bronze whalers. Reckon the weather bureau got it all rong
that nite.
regards

Lucky_Phill
06-04-2002, 03:59 PM
Gotta get meself one of those fandangled Digital Cameras. Went back to Mud on Thursday arvo ( 4th ), as the weather was about to turn nasty for the week end. Fished in close again and hauled in a boomer Bream ( 42cms and only 1.150kg ) nothing in his guts ( 'cept me hook ). and a couple more around the 500gm. Mick stayed a little longer and we home with a couple of 1/2 kilo bream, 6 squire and 2 nice sweeties that went 44cms. No mozzies, no run, no worries.

I made it back to the ramp with out running out of fuel, as a matter of fact, I topped her up on the way home and she took 14 litres, so with 2 up and heavy weather, it's 26litres, and by meself in good weather 14. That's a big difference. Cruising at 34k's on the way there and 45 on the way back.

Yep, next weeks new moon looks to go over there. See ya there. 8)

aquarius
06-04-2002, 06:09 PM
http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm1.gifG,Day Lucky Phill........Thats 1 good size bream you caught.......Yes the digital camera is 1 of the best things ive bought.......you can store about 80 pictures before you need to download them to the PC.......No more wasting money on buying film.
Can't wait to see some pics from you......What bait were you using to catch the bream?....When the weather calms down a bit i will be back there to have another shot at the bream etc
Cheers Brent http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm17.gif

dnej
10-04-2002, 07:33 AM
::)Hey Hey Hey Lucky Phill,
What size is your boat? Would like to know so I can compare notes, if I got caught out.Its the usual story, you only know how much you can take on when you are forced into a situation, cause you wouldnt normally go looking for those conditions.Got a boat picture?
Regards David

webby
12-04-2002, 03:56 PM
Hi David, phill must be sniffing too much paint or dreaming of
this weekend trip to Mud, think you'll find a pic of his liner
in the Show & Shine Post on this site, can remember if its
in general or boat reports I'll throw a few sinkers at him this
weekend to wake him up
regards