PDA

View Full Version : Anyone seen the Longtails in Moreton Bay??

Wesley_Pang
20-04-2002, 03:01 AM
I've been having a great time chasing the Longtail Tuna off Bribie Island for the last month, but they seem to have moved on a bit. There are still a few around but not in the number that were there before easter. I need to find the motherlode again.

Has anyone seen any down the southern end of the bay or around the western side of Moreton?

I may launch from Fisherman's Island this weekend and have a look around Mud Island to the top of Moreton.

Wes

Jack_Lives_Here
20-04-2002, 05:40 AM
Wes,
Was out last Saturday around the southern tip Bribie myself. Mac Tuna all over the place. We managed 5 in quick time there. Made our way slowly across to Moreton. Seen 2 small pods of Longtails on our way across close to the shipping channel at north eastern end of the island - very shy. Couldn't even get close enough to throw a slug. Seen another pod on the way back across later that day but same result.

Heading out again this weekend and am determined to nail one on the wand - even a Mac Tuna will do to straighten the kinks.

aquarius
21-04-2002, 06:53 AM
:)Hi Wes....Saw big schools of them last saturday while fishing near ormiston reef......they were working the southern bay for an hour or so before they moved on.....Threw a slug out but no interest at all......Great site to see them hearding up the bait fish then launching themselves out of the water.
Hope you get lucky and find there location.
Cheers Brent http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm11.gif

lordy
21-04-2002, 12:02 PM
I've been having a great time chasing the Longtail Tuna off Bribie Island for the last month, but they seem to have moved on a bit. There are still a few around but not in the number that were there before easter. I need to find the motherlode again.

Has anyone seen any down the southern end of the bay or around the western side of Moreton?

I may launch from Fisherman's Island this weekend and have a look around Mud Island to the top of Moreton.

Wes

Toddy and I went out Thursday at the southern ocean end of Bribie. Lots of little schools of macks in the morning but quite shy. A metal slug would have cleaned up but we could only get a couple on fly.

Long tails showed up later in the day, 2-3pm onwards. Still shy but Toddy got one.

Maverick
22-04-2002, 06:17 AM
Wes,

We were out about a fortnight ago and there was huge schools of longtails about 2 nm west of tangalooma. We threw everything at them. Even trolled from a distance, but with no luck. It was definitely the motherload that you're looking for but they were as scared as a rat in a snakepit. Don't know what the answer is to get them in the boat. ???

Cheers