PDA

View Full Version :  Maroon Dam

The_Walrus
01-05-2002, 02:49 PM
First trip to Maroon Dam last Sunday.

Very windy but only a few spits of rain. Spend a few hours trolling the banks opposite & left of the ramp and the timber up the creek for no action.

Ended up in the weedbeds on the left before you get into the creek. Sounder showed heaps of fish sitting in holes so I decided to set up a drift and use spinnerbaits.

Ended up with 18 bass from 20 to 46cms. All caught on a 1/4 oz twin blade (willows) with brown head and brown skirt with gold flecks. Most bass were hitting hard and mostly getting pinned on the main hook with only a few on the stinger.

Water was 22.2 to 22.4 C and very clear.

Great first trip and can't wait to go back.

Luc

aquarius
01-05-2002, 09:28 PM
:)Hi Walrus....you did alright for a first trip....its a great place to relax when the ski boats have gone home....the noises of the cattle on the banks surrounding the dam and the vast amounts of bird life all add to the beautiful scenery....i can't wait to return there myself...did you try a lure in amoungst the timber at the top of the dam?...we caught a few at that location...hope i meet up with you there sometime in the future. Cheers Brent http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm12.gif

The_Walrus
03-05-2002, 03:34 PM
Hi Brent,

Have to agree it's a nice place.

Yep, tried the timbers for an hour or so, trolling and casting lures/jigs/spinnerbaits for no results.

I don't think there was much caught in the timbers on the day.

Not many ski boats there either and the few that were there were well behaved. Given the low level of the dam, they kept pretty much to the centre. Midweek fishing might be the go for ski-free.

I'm aiming for a return visit this Monday.

Also had a look at Moogerah Dam on the way one. What a sorry sight. Almost impossible to launch a decent size boat. Canoes and punts are the go at present. According to the bloke in the kiosk, currentcapacity is around 4%. This dam needs some rain super urgently !!

Luc