PDA

View Full Version : A QUICKIE IN THE CANAL

BOMBER
28-04-2002, 04:52 AM
Hi All,

Took a guy fishing yesterday who had never lured before so decided would take him for a trip into one of the canals here on Bribie Island. We were on the water by 3pm and headed straight into the mouth of the canal and trolled from here into the canal proper useing Manns 10+ unfortunately no fish, went to the first pontoon tied on a 3 inch Grub and cast in behind the pontoon on about the 6th cast got whacked by a healthy 50 cm Flathead cast around this pontoon a little longer for no result. Went a little further up the canal to a pontoon I had pulled a couple of Bream off recently and began casting. My mate by the look on his face was becoming a little despondent with this lure fishing as he was commenting on how he would have had half a dozen fish in the boat by now.On about his 200th cast he got hit by a solid fish and on the light gear I had loaned him he was in all sorts of trouble after a good fight he managed to get a 65cm Flattie to the boat. Decided discretion was the better part of valour so headed back, now that he had caught his first fish on lure a good note to finish on. We were back at the ramp by 4:30pm a slow afternoon but my mate had now decided he would give this lure fishing a bit more of a try.

Regards,

THE BOMBER

Lucky_Phill
28-04-2002, 08:51 AM
Good little report Bomber,

Lure fishing can be one of the most frustrating, types of fishing there is. 1 fish for 200 casts...... that's not bad. Good to see ya using a little inventivness. So many people think they would never get a fish up those canals. If people only took the time, they would discover, as you have, that these places DO have a population of fish. ::)

CHRIS_aka_GWH
28-04-2002, 09:37 AM
Phew ...
it's a fishing post; for a minute I thought I'd logged on to MARDIGRA.COM ... (not that there's anything wrong with that!)

Lucky_Phill
28-04-2002, 12:38 PM
NIce one Chris

http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm20.gif

sav
05-05-2002, 06:09 PM
Bomber
Throwing lures, slugs, plastics etc is a fantastic way to pass a few hours - fish or no fish.
By the way I would have tossed about 25 casts (with a metal (lure) from the beach out front of the Aqic Reseach Centre at DPI and fluked a 50cm mackeral on 4 kg gear - quite a thrill .
Have to catch up one day to see these great spot in the new canels at Bribie.
Regards Sav

Never wet a LINE AT LONGREACH - river looks great though