PDA

View Full Version : Mud Crabs

jaybee
10-05-2002, 06:47 AM
Any one tried for muddies since this weather has started ? Called in at my brothers down Brunswick on Tuesday he and his neighbour caught 13 thumpers over 3 days with 4 pots, lots of throw backs, 50 yards from the van after a very dissapointing summer, needles to say they didnt go very far between 4 adults and a couple of kids :( thinking of hitting the brissie river for a chase on friday night weather permitting.

craigie
10-05-2002, 09:46 AM
Hi Jaybee,

Sounds like your 'Bro' has had a couple of good sessions on the Muddies, might still get a few more if he's lucky.

I regularly chase Muddies between the Gateway Bridge and the Mouth of the Brisbane River. I was out there last weekend with a couple of mates, right in the middle of all that rain expecting to do quite well. Only got 3 very average Crabs for our trouble. I still think it is worth your effort to put pots out and try for some 'Rusty Bucks'.
With all the fresh that's around at the moment, you may have to try some of the deep holes to see if the crabs are sitting where the water has a higher salinity level ?

I will be trying my regular spots tonight in the river, I'll let you know how I go.

Cheers
Craigie

jaybee
10-05-2002, 12:36 PM
Thanks craigie, think i will check it out from the banks. cheers

CHRIS_aka_GWH
10-05-2002, 01:09 PM
jaybee,
we've pulled some crabs from the Logan over the past month or two. The muddies are half full if that. We got a terrific buck about a fortnight ago that I struggled to get two sandwiches out of - full it would have been a great feed by itself. The sandcrabs on the other hand are like fleas in the Logan & most so full they are hard to clean - is this the result of a dry summer??? I'd be interested how you go with the rain & if the Brissie River crabs are as lean as their cousins 50km south.
chris

jaybee
10-05-2002, 03:11 PM
Sounds like he was lucky then. He gave me a small one fresh caught 17cm to bring home for a try..the bathtub.. ;D but it was very full. He was saying none of em have been rusty but extremely full..last year they were getting the odd one right through the winter..had a big run just before christmas and nothing up to last week...except for the one he tripped over while walking home down the creek after chasing bream a few weeks ago..went just a tad under 2kg..showed me the video cost him his butt of his rod tho..lol ..his missus had one claw and couldnt eat any more...they are also getting some monster sandies in the river at ballina at present he was saying, best its been in years.

bugman
11-05-2002, 06:08 AM
Guys,

I live near the Brisbane River at Yeronga and have always been tempted to put in the pots and chase the odd muddy but I've ben put off after waterskiing in the area.

Basically are the crabs safe to eat out of the Brissy River.

Are they better down near the river mouth or can you pretty much eat them throughout.

Do heavy metals or other such pollutants play a part.

Bugman

jaybee
11-05-2002, 08:41 AM
Hey Bugman, my bro and I used to crab only in the Brisbane River back in the 70s from west end down to the mouth. Have not had any probs with bad taste ect and they say the river is cleaner now then back then (supposedly) ??? . From what I understand there are some guys that fish for big jew up around the bridges in the city so they must be okay. I know there is a sign on oxley creek that warns people not to eat any thing that is caught in the creek but it flows into a big river. Besides there are still the little river prawners that work the river every week their catch is usually sold at markets already shelled and it is very sweet to eat.
cheers