PDA

View Full Version : Peel/Pin Fri 26/Sat 27

webby
29-04-2002, 05:05 PM
Fri 26. With the wx about to turn nasty, a trip to Peel before
she blew up. left Raby Bay 6pm with my son, Perfect wx
Wind 5kts/Seas .5m #By High around 9pm its was Glazed
out. #Fished the house boat/off the sunken reef and the contours from Lazaret Gutter to Douglas light. Few boats abt
Floaters/bottom rigs(sinker on hook) current strong/big moon
above. Bait small whole squid/live H/heads & Tailor strips.
Plenty of action with small squire/lippers and small bream
(+grinners and some sharks) Top of tide and start of run out
bigger bites occurred. #Left at 5am ( 2 x squire 38cm and
1 x #Parrot 35cm (notice different species) the bright coloured one was caught by steve, put in the photo to show different species of parrot that habit the area,#and 2 x Red
throat lippers #34/45cm. wx still perfect Sat am. but had
arrange trip to Pin for sat night.
Sat 27 pick up a mate Jason 1pm & lauched Cabbage tree
(collect some live poddies/herring on way) . Drifted banks
from Old Squire Is to the Pin mouth. Rigs using Poddies/
herring and some Kokoda Soft Shad and some Rubber
jig twin tails, current strong #after few drifts for small choppers
no Lizards, anchored at mouth of Swan Bay for incoming
using Livies, results two Lizards 35/64cm, by 7.30pm
seas pretty rough and big swells rolling in. Tried kalinga/
Tip of Crusoe and Bank towards Kalinga. (WARNING the
bank Between Crusoe x road beacon and kalinga is spread
ing South as i clipped the tip of it) It then started to Pour
down rain with the front moving thru, headed down to Short
and tried a few drains opposite bank, only small bream and
couple of small Cod. Rained most of the night and by
morning the top area towards to pin was strong wind and
squally weather, so headed back to ramp (2 x Lizards)
The same night a mate Skales (Ausfish member) fished the
Logan weather not as bad he said, Plenty of small to medium
bream and Mud Crabs attaching most baits, the catfish are
still around so quality bream havent arrived yet.
After two sleepless nights home for sunday siesta.
regards

webby
29-04-2002, 05:08 PM
Pin Flathead

webby
29-04-2002, 05:11 PM
"Skales" Logan Bream

adriancorrea
29-04-2002, 05:22 PM
Well done webby
I myself didnt have as much luck.
I did finally get out there (peel)
Left sat 3pm headed for cleveland got a flat on the way, after about an hour or two got to the ramp a headed out.
Fished the top of peel got quite a few squire but all two small
What size is the limit for squire?
Moved to the west side of peel about 8pm Then the clouds came over and brought the rain after about a 10 min down pour it was fine again very dark clouds about,
Moved to south west rocks about 9-9:30.
Hooked on to something big about 11:30pm put up a good fight but never even got to see what it was. snapped off Got pissed off and came home.

webby
29-04-2002, 05:54 PM
Hi Adrian, squire is 30cm, around peel your better off
fishing thecontours or deeper water off the sides of the
reef casting onto theshallow and letting bait (livies if poss)
drifft off and down the deeper water, though you would have
come down the pin due to the weather, after our chat, peel
takes a bit of getting use to as to how to fishit, will arrange
a trip and take you for a run. lets know when your shifts
allow you out again.
regards

adriancorrea
29-04-2002, 05:59 PM
Thanks webby
I'll let you know and would love to go out for a run
I get every third weekend off and a wednesday and thursday in between.
How deep is the water you fish in at peel?
Thanks Webby
You help has been much appreciated
Cheers
Adrian

aquarius
29-04-2002, 09:26 PM
http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm1.gif GiDay Webby...I to fished the pin on Saturday morning.
A mate and i trolled lures around without even a touch...Don't know were those flatties are hiding...A couple of years ago we where catching big lizards to 75cms...sometimes catching a dozen or so in 4 or 5 hours of trolling,
Im confused now..are the so called red throats the same fish known as the grass sweetlip?
Nice photo's there mate...you did better than us only taking home a feed of bream to 30cms...Hope to see you out on the water sometime soon.
Cheers Brent ;D

craigie
02-05-2002, 07:08 AM
Hi Webby,

I refer to your first post about the Red Throat Lippers you caught in Moreton Bay. You said you caught a 34 cm specimen (Is that one shown in the photo). Legal size for Red Throat is 35 cm, it might be a good idea to eat that one A.S.A.P..
I'm off to the 'Pin' this weekend, have you heard any recent reports about any Bream,Tailor or Jewies being caught down that way ?

Cheers
Craigie

webby
03-05-2002, 02:32 PM
Hi cragie, There are 3 species of Sweetlip caught in water
from Cape Morten south , yellow (green commonly called)
sweetlip (red throat) and Grass sweetlip the ones that
Brent usually catches around Wello and Peel. The one in
the photo are Sweetlip (red throats i call them) You mite
be thinking of the Red throated Emperor they are similiar
to the Sweetlip in the Photo. All Sweetlip are legal at
30cm whereas the Emperor are 35cm goint up to 45cm for
the big Reds, the only sweetlip common to the bay are
grass and Sweetlip (red) Emperors can be caught
from Curtain north and the reefs out from Redcliffe.
Regards

craigie
08-05-2002, 10:43 AM
Hi Webby,

Sorry if I'm being a pain in the Butt, but I still think those fish are Redthroat Sweetlip/Emperor, call them what you like they still have a minimum size of 35 cm.
I have caught plenty of Grassy's, Spangled's and Red Throat's, so I know my Sweeties/Emperor's without being a self confessed expert.
Might be worth your while to give John McNamara, Education and PR Officer (Qld Boating & Fisheries Patrol) a call to clarify this one, his phone number is 32681820.

I would hate to see you ruin a great fishing trip by having a Run in with the Fisheries Boy's.

If I'm totally wrong and making a Goose of myself, then please accept many Beers as a friendship gesture.

Cheers
Craigie.

budge
08-05-2002, 12:45 PM
sorry craigie but ill have to agree with webby, they look like grass sweetlip to me :-X

Lucky_Phill
08-05-2002, 01:05 PM
Now for my 2 cents worth.

Upon closer inspection, Brian, I believe they are Sweetlip Emperor, ( common name Red Throat Emperor ).

Specific markings and identifyable colouration, put them as the above. Clearly a Lethrinus chrysostomus.

The Grassies have a pink colouration at the base of their anal fins, whereas the ones in the pic have Red at the pectoral fin base and Red in the dorsal fins. A grassies colouration on the body covers the head as well, and in the Red Throat their is a defining line of difference in colour.

Grassies are Lethrinus laticaudus / fletus, or Red Finned Emperor.

To clear this up , just bring around some fillets and I'll taste test them and let you know what is what ;D ;D ;) ;D

aquarius
08-05-2002, 09:42 PM
;D Hi Guys...those fish are'nt grassies....ive caught heaps this summer and the grass sweetlip does'nt have red on the fins......I believe they are red throat...HERE'S A CLOSE UP OF SOME GRASS SWEETLIP.
Cheers Brent :)

craigie
09-05-2002, 01:48 PM
Thanks Brent for the Photo, that should clear things up for Budge and Webby !!! Grassy's do not have any red markings near their Pectoral Fins and along their Dorsal Fin, while Red Throat Emperor/Lippers do.

How often are these 'Red Throats' caught in Moreton Bay ?
I have only caught them up North on the offshore Reefs and had no Idea they were available in local waters.

I'm heading for the 'Pin' this weekend to try and get a feed of Silver Bream Lippers, anyone heard any recent reports ?

Cheers and happy Fishing,

Craigie.

webby
09-05-2002, 04:39 PM
Well fellas have had to go for the big guns here. ;D ;D
To clear thing up Never said as some have mentioned that
they are grass Sweetlip.(lethrinua laticaudis)
Firstly # Family Lujanidae #sea perch/red emperor/moses
# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # perch/mangrove jack/nannaygai
# # # # # # Family Lethrinidae #sweetlip/lancers
The book I check all my fish on is #Grants #guide to fishes
Published by E.M.GRANT REDCLIFFE/ and Acknowledged
by the Qld DPI #Boating & Fisheries.
Sweetlip or Red Throat #lethrinua miniatus (Bloch & Schneider) #The sweetlip is commonly linefished in C/qld and
southern water down past cape Morten. #
Its colour is most distinctive the olive brown body is spangled
with dar brown spots one to each scale, the dorsal fin is
unmistakable vividly scarlet the inside of the very large
mouth is lined with red. whence its name Red-Throated
Also according to Australian Fish Guide #by Frank Prokop
Sweetlip #RedThroat # # Lethrinus miniatus (formerly
lethrinus chrysostomus) also know as Lippers/red-throat,trumpeter so till anyone can prove to me that they
are out of the Emperor family I stick with my Guns Blazing
have caught this particular species in three places in the
southern bay Rous ch(bottom rig/live bait) Rainbow CH
D/rigger live bait and a certain spot at Peel (bottom rig/live bait). Biggest so far 2.08kg
http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm26.gif

aquarius
09-05-2002, 09:10 PM
;DG' Day Webby.....just wanted to show Budge what the grassies look like......i can't wait to have a crack at hooking up on 1 or 2 of those red throats.....did you say that the only way to catch them is with a downrigger?...people tell me the red throat are much tastier than there grassy cousins.
Hope you fixed your trailer in time for this weekends fishing.Catch ya on the water mate...maybe around mud island....Cheers Brent http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm11.gif

craigie
10-05-2002, 02:01 PM
G'day again Webby,

Mate, we are finally starting to agree on a couple of things at least.
Firstly, Grants Guide to Fishes is an excellent Fish Identification book and I personally consult it on a regular basis and yes it is recognised by DPI (Qld Boating and Fisheries Patrol). I believe Ern Grant was an employee with DPI many years ago.
Secondly, we are both talking about the same fish, lethrinus miniatus or one of It's many common names (That's where the confusion comes in).

I have checked Grants Guide to Fishes to ensure there is only one possible fish that fits your description and photos and my observations and knowledge. (I noticed that your latest scanned photo is out of a recent edition of Grants).

I now have absolutely no doubt that the Sweetlip/Emperor you have shown is the same one that has a minimum 35 cm legal size limit.

Webby, I have included a couple of useful links below that I hope will clear this up for you. The page from the DPI Fishweb explains all about our friend the Red Throat Sweetlip/Emperor, while the Fisheries Regulations 1995 (Schedule 16, page 295 of 364) link will clarify the name issue.

For a moment there you were starting to make me think there were two different types of Red Throat but no that is definitely not the case as there is only one page dedicated to this fish in Grants Guide to Fishes (we both agree that this book is the Fisherman's Bible).

Here are the links I suggested you look at:

http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/fishweb/2464.html#1

http://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/LEGISLTN/CURRENT/F/FisherR95_006.pdf

Craigie.

Lucky_Phill
10-05-2002, 03:40 PM
and the last word goes to :- # http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/fishweb/2464.html#1

:o # # # ??? # # # ::) # # # # # # ;D

And just to go that little bit further, Page 393 of Grants Guide to Fishes, lists The Red Throat and it's name as Lethrinus chrysostomus. And that IS a red Throat Emporer. Grants further states, and I quote " by far the most common emporer on the coast ".

OK, Webby, you owe craigie a beer. ;D

webby
10-05-2002, 06:16 PM
I must admit on the legal size for them, when youve always
know the species as a sweelip and (30cm) you fish by that
to many publication list species under different names and
thats where the fault lies, a lot of other people can be caught
out. I owe u a beer on the size Craigie,
Phil dont know what book or how old your grants is
but page 393 talks about Tripletail (perch) in mine mate
my book is the latest edition and page 411 covers the
sweetlip ive been describing and thats where the Photo
above came from the name was change to Lethrinus
miniatus and no where in his discriptions of sweetlip does
he refer to them as emporer, except for the yellow sweetlip
which is also called by some as the spangled emporer.
sorry mate http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm20.gif
anyway if you want a taste i have a few in the fridge
you can smell the aroma of there sweet white flesh from
here, pity i can send a fillet down the line to you.
there is confusion in a lot of species
pearl perch being called nannygai
black kingfish being called cobia
yellow tail kingfish being called amberjack
amberjack being called samson fish
fingermark being called moses perch
red emperor being called sea perch or government bream
and the list goes on , anyway enoughs enough lets go
fishing. regards http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm3.gif http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm3.gif
on.

craigie
11-05-2002, 10:03 AM
'Grants Guide to Fishes' does vary a bit from edition to edition, just something to be aware of.
The 1982 version shows a Long-nosed Emperor (page 403) as being 'lethrinus miniatis', but we all know that has been changed !!

Anyhow I'm starting to get a 'Red throat' from reading all these postings on this topic, It's time to go Fishing, I'll be down the 'Pin' around the Eastern end of Tiger Mullet Chanel/Crusoe Island in my 4.6 Clark Kakadu, white open tinnie for a lot of this weekend. If your in the area, come and say g'day ! The Boat has a tiller steer Mariner outboard.

Cheers
Craigie.

webby
11-05-2002, 02:23 PM
Too satisfy and clarify everyone mind, Phones Qld Boating
& Fisheries. #Regarding the species in debate, For many
years it was called the Red-Throated Emperor, as also was
the Yellow Sweetlip called a Spangled Emperor.
The experts though they belonged to the emperor family, But
upon more Scientific Results, they found they belonged to the
Sweetlip family, hence the Latin Name Change.
The Qld Fisheries thought instead of causing more confusion
with people thinking there were two identical fish out there
with different names, they left there records stand. Grants
latest edition has changed them back to Sweetlip.
Legal sizes remained the same.
Sorry be such a pain, Hope this satisfies all.
Will catch up with u on the water one day for a beer.
Phill keep sniffing the air for the aroma of tender white flesh
baking.
Cheers and Good Fishing to All
regards

Lucky_Phill
12-05-2002, 12:26 PM
Well Brian, those Buggas at the DPI, should get their heads together and sort something out.

And I must get meself a new edition of Grants. Now there's a prize worth getting for a comp of some sort ;D

I can taste those Sweeties from here....m m m m m !!!!

jaybee
12-05-2002, 04:10 PM
The book I check all my fish on is Grants guide to fishes
Published by E.M.GRANT REDCLIFFE/ and Acknowledged
by the Qld DPI Boating & Fisheries.
Sweetlip or Red Throat lethrinua miniatus (Bloch & Schneider) The sweetlip is commonly linefished in C/qld and
southern water down past cape Morten.
Its colour is most distinctive the olive brown body is spangled
with dar brown spots one to each scale, the dorsal fin is
unmistakable vividly scarlet the inside of the very large
mouth is lined with red. whence its name Red-Throated
I find this amazing as I have Lethrinus miniatus (schneider Long-Nosed Emperor the long nosed emperor is more often seen in Queenslands northern coastal and reef waters, attaining a about 16lb in weight. Redily recoganisable by two features: one. the greatly produced and slanting nose, the other, its vivid coloration. In life the body is dull greenish with patches of lighter brown above, shading to white below. a conspicous red line runs above and below the lips. The dorsal fin is splashed with scarlet spots; the pectorals are blue, the ventrals and caudal dominantly reddish. However Lethrinus chrysostomus (Richardson) colour plate:Sweetlip or Sweetlip Emperor: By far the most common emporer on the Queensland coast, is taken commercially by line fishing between areas Gladstone north. Occasionally examples are taken in the vicinity of Coloundra and Cape Moreton. It is a beautifully marked fish; the body is olive green above, and silvery below, with a series of dark vertical bands that fade shortly after death. The head may range from pink to blood red in colour; the inside of the mouth and throat is a bright orange - red, a feature that helps in identifying it. The dorsal fin is bright scarlet;the caudal fin ranges from deep pink to red. Generally taken in weight 2 to 5 lb. Hope this helps guys cause the photos arent real good due to death. This info came from Grants as well and acknowledged by DPI. 1965 so surely fish or grants arent going to change that much.
cheers.

webby
12-05-2002, 04:36 PM
Jaybee, suggest you buy one of Grants 1990 editions, youll
find half the fish in the ocean have been reclassified and family names changed, your 1965 edition wouldnt have
half the fish as in the new editions, the pic u posted is a
painting, as you'l find in a lot of old fish publications.
regards

jaybee
12-05-2002, 04:58 PM
find half the fish in the ocean have been reclassified and family names changed Sorry webby then i must apologise..however does that mean the fish have packed their bags n moved as well ??? here is another photo from a book pubilished last year 2001 Australian sea fishes as you see (sea) it bears Lethrinus chrysostomus and nearly the same info from grants 65 that i stated before mmmm. So someone must be wrong I can accept it if I am..maybe i should get my money back on the book ;D
cheers.

aquarius
12-05-2002, 05:16 PM
http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm15.gif Hey Webby how about you taking a close up of the next red throat you catch.....it was rather difficult to get a real good close look at those red throats in that last pic you posted....i just want to see what they look like...thanks mate
Cheers Brent http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm25.gif

aquarius
12-05-2002, 06:06 PM
http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm1.gif Hello again Webby....just looked in my 1991 Grants Fishes Of Australia....Is this the fish in question?
Goes by the name of sweetlip-red throat-tricky snapper or lipper (lethrinus chrysostomus rich)
The book says that occasional stragglers come as far south as Noosa Heads and Cape Moreton. 8)
Cheers Brent

Luke
12-05-2002, 09:50 PM
Sweety 30 and red throat 35-I can understand the conjecture but after all it is a sweetlip.

Luke
12-05-2002, 09:53 PM
Or is it. Maybe nobody is wrong here and the powers that be should sort this one out. :-/