PDA

View Full Version : Darwin Harbour to Fish Reef

Jewmaster
13-06-2003, 04:26 AM
Went out on Monday to fish reef in a mates boat as mine is too small and had a fairly slow day, caught alot of scarlet snapper and spanish flag, threw them all back, caught some big cod, threw them back as well. Only 1 salmon was kept.

Used some little rat fish trevally and had one of the biggest runs of my life. It went for baout 15 minutes and I couldn't even slow it down, I have 1000Yds of 50Bl Braid on my diawa lever drag reel, with a 150lb leeder. I couldn't even stop the line running out of my reel on nearly full drag, My back was hurting, my arms where hurting and the fish was steaming off into the distance, must have had about half my spool out when I knocked the lever drag up to full and stuck it to this fish, I managed to turn the fish and gain about 30 meters of line which pissed it off becuase seconds later is took off at a million miles an hour and I couldn't turn the drag down soon enough, PING, all over.
For most of the fight the line slowly peeled out of the reel, not fast, just constant flow of line, like I had cuaght a sailing boat or something.

Previous to that I had cught a shark about 2 meters ling and I could stop it abnd gain line, So I have no idea what I had on. I WANT MORE.

MangroveJase
13-06-2003, 02:08 PM
Probably one of those huge sea trains, the all mighty monster cod!
Once they start moving there aint no stopping them!