PDA

View Full Version : barwon banks friday 20/6/03

leeroy
23-06-2003, 04:02 PM
fished barwon banks friday because weather looked no good for weekend fish . have been fishing a good looking piece bottom for 3 trips & have got some good fish. fridays fish 2 snapper 4.3kg &3.1. 1parrot 1.6kg 1 amberjack 40kg plus released sore back. plus 16 34cm squire released all on pilles & mullet strips. this is my 1st post took long time with one finger. leeroy

Lachie1
23-06-2003, 04:39 PM
Thats a good AJ mate they pull like freight trains don't they :o :o Always wanted to go out there (the banks) and i'm sure my time will come ??? ??? hopefully. How deep was the water you were fishing in and is there structure all around the banks or only in certain areas?

Cheers, Lachie

leeroy
23-06-2003, 05:14 PM
hi lachie 72m with pinnicles raising to 60m good looking bottom not real hard but lots wire weed. got good pearlies last trip & 10kg aj. leeroy

CamH
24-06-2003, 04:50 AM
Hi leeroy,

I'm planning on getting out near the Barwon Banks in the next couple of weekends to try and chase a few sailfish. I've never been out there before, have you had any experience with gamefishing out there?

thunnus
24-06-2003, 12:13 PM
Cam - fished the weekend before last for the sails, there was very little bait in the area. #Fished from the gravel patch to coloundra wide then up to the 18mile and only got one sail up (no hookup) trolling baits and lures. #traditionally this is a good time of year, but last year they had a really good run of sails in early august/september. #If you do get out there good luck and make sure you post a report

cheers, Justin

CamH
25-06-2003, 06:09 AM
Hi Justin,

I see what you are saying about this time of year. When I looked on the Sunshine Coast Game Fishing Club site their reports from July 2002 were excellent for sailfish captures.

What sort of lures/baits do you use? I am only new to game fishing but my plan was to troll a couple of Pakula Uzi's with a bird teaser at about 6 knots. Do you use trolled skipped/swim gar for baits?

thunnus
25-06-2003, 03:38 PM
we troll skipping gar, and lures like hollowpiont siera's, small atuns, multistrike sambuca's and other 8 to 10 inch cup and cut face lures. if you are on the sunshine coast and want to have a look at a good selection of lures go check out wellsy's tackle at unit 2/16 Technology drive Warana. #or have a look at http://www.billfishtacklesupply.com/

teasers are great - if you have enough hands on deck deploy not only the bird but also a witchdocter if you have one!

hope this helps, Justin

CamH
26-06-2003, 06:07 AM
Thanks for the tips Justin,

I don't have a witchdoctor teaser at the moment but I do plan to get one some time soon.

The weather looks like it's blowing over the next few days so if it's no good by the weekend it might be 2 weeks before I get out and give it a go but I will definately post a report afterwards. Thanks again.