PDA

View Full Version : Pine river

fishsmith
25-06-2003, 05:03 PM
Having an ball catching heaps of good size fish at the moment Whiting,Flathead,Pike,Bream and have hooked onto a couple of unstoppables that my little spin outfit couln't cope with (i reckon they where Jewies) all the above fish have been caught on soft plastics,Atomic Fatgrubs in motoroil gold has been the best performer for me to date.I am catching all my fish at night when things are nice and quiet...

Cheers Smithy... ;)

drevil
26-06-2003, 04:08 AM
This may be a silly question, but where abouts in the Pine River are you hookin up these fish??

Jack_Lives_Here
26-06-2003, 07:13 AM
CATFISH Smithy. They go like a steam trains.

fishsmith
26-06-2003, 12:33 PM
Dave i have caught plenty of catties and some biggins at that. I know how they fight and they usually leave a slimey calling card on ones line.But the fish that i hooked had a lot of weight that i just could't stop,not on my little diawa procaster loaded with 4lb fireline..may have been a couple of good size trevs in the system.What do you think?There is a lot of baitfish and prawns jumping around at this particular spot...

Cheers Smithy...

fishsmith
26-06-2003, 12:42 PM
Okay drevil i'm not going to give you the exact spot however here's a pretty good clue its between deepwater bend and the barges and has artificial lights..

Smithy...

Rowdy
26-06-2003, 12:53 PM
Theres definitely some jewies around, and they go like a train on light gear. Best I've got is 5 kilos with a few under that...some unstoppables as well. Good fishing if you can find em.

Rowdy

fishsmith
26-06-2003, 06:18 PM
Nice fish rowdy,what type of lure is that hanging out of his mouth?....

smithy..

Rowdy
27-06-2003, 01:47 AM
Nice fish rowdy,what type of lure is that hanging out of his mouth?....

smithy..
Fishsmith, that is a Daiwa silver creek 9cm suspending minnow. I'm a big fan of em but they are hard to find these days.

Craig

fishsmith
27-06-2003, 11:43 AM
OK, drevil here is a picture clue as well..

smithy...

Lachie1
27-06-2003, 12:35 PM
Been there ;) ;D ;) It can be pretty shallow in places can't it from memeory hey fishsmith???

Cheers, Lachie

fishsmith
27-06-2003, 04:04 PM
Can be a bit shallow on the northern side at low tide Lachie. here's one of the locals,he should still be there as he was a catch and release job...

Smithy.... 8)

Lachie1
28-06-2003, 07:44 AM
I've been busted off round there before and we thought it was a jack cos it pulled so hard and did a big circle round the boat. Definately not a catty but maybee a jew??? What do you fellas reckon?

Cheers, Lachie

xxxxhornet
28-06-2003, 10:23 AM
Hey guys - just starting off in plastics - havent hooked one yet (had a toad chase one in!).Any advice appreciated.

Are the motor oil colour working ok at night?. And what sort of run is there for best results etc? I've got some whites, glow in the darks and pumpkin colour.

Even a few livebaits under there at night might be the go me thinks....

Any of you guys heading up to caloundra for the bream comp?

Lachie1
28-06-2003, 11:13 AM
Yeah i'm in the same boat as (no pun intended) ::) XXXXhornet don't know anything bout the soft plastics but have got a few prawns and squidges so will try them out some day. A liveie would probably go down alright mate ;)

Not headin off to the bream comp as i'm stuck home for another few days or so but look forward to some good fishing in the not to distant future. :D :D

Lachie

MangroveJase
28-06-2003, 01:19 PM
When is the Bream Comp at Caloundra? Bring it oooon, Who do I ring, where do I go?, can I fish land based? How many Crownies can I bring? Who knows? Who can help? Anyone?

Please. ;D ;D

xxxxhornet
29-06-2003, 02:03 AM
Hey Crownie Monster,

Have a look in the July issue of Qld Fishing Monthly - all the details are in there. Its a CATI (come and try it event) but you need to have a livewell of at least 60 lts - Stephen Booth who is the editor of QFM will also be able to help out with any queries,

cheers

Rowdy
29-06-2003, 02:24 AM
I've been busted off round there before and we thought it was a jack cos it pulled so hard and did a big circle round the boat. #Definately not a catty but maybee a jew??? What do you fellas reckon?

Cheers, Lachie

Could have been a jew, Im fortunate enough to have caught a 3.5 kilo jack and a 5 kilo jew on the same light tackle and in terms of the fight the jack wins hands down. I guess the difference was that the jew felt heavier with alot of weight on the end and did circle the boat a couple of times which I can't remember the jack doing, though that was a while back. But really its only a guess, it could have been anything...even a giant herring...now theres a fish that circles the boat!

Rowdy

MangroveJase
29-06-2003, 08:26 AM
Thanks for that Hornet, the 60lt esky has now become a 60lt live bait tank.

xxxxhornet
29-06-2003, 10:19 AM
I'll be there on Mon night about till about 9 pm if anyones there say g'day

fishsmith
29-06-2003, 11:28 AM
Fished the pine again last night,caught 5 flatties to about 60cm,plenty of pike,3 bream and hooked onto something big again. Hooked onto the big thing on the first cast believe it or not using a kakoda flash shad,whatever it was only had hold of the shads tail and thus didnt hook up but it was fun for about 40 secounds,dispite throwing the shad around for about 2hrs afterwards i failed to entice another hit from another biggin however had some fun catching some flatties and one bream (my first bream on a 6inch shad, he must of been hungry). Changed to my lighter outfit after that and flicked around atomic fatgrubs in motoroil gold colour and caught a couple of more flatties,another bream and plenty of pike.Fished from 8.00pm til 1.00am with the last 1hr being slow with only the odd pike taking the softies.Yes soft plastics work a night no problem at all whatever colour it doesn't have to be a lumo-glow in the dark job,natral hues like motoroil gold,pumpkin seed work just fine....I'm heading back out tonight i need to no what the large fish are are in this location at the moment,Catfish,Jew,Bullshark,Jack,Giant Herring i'm keen to find out and there is only one way CATCH ONE! So if you are out that way stop and say gidday...Ha xxxxhornet i might be back down there Monday night as well might catch up with you ha,pitty your only fishing till 9pm though as that will be about the time when the fish will be starting to bite..

Cheers Smithy. :) :) ;)

Hardtimes101
06-07-2003, 07:03 PM
Smithy,
I'm in between boats at the moment and your pictures are killing me.......(memo to self .... stop stuffing about and get new rig urgently)

That bridge is/was a favourite haunt of mine........... I have had great fun around the pylons using Kokoda 9cm single tail Deanos (Red glitter) ..........the size seems to discourage the pickers....most of the time.
I've found if things are slow I can change down to a Kokoda 7.5cm Double Grub (pink glitter or Baitfish) to increase the activity...
I have to admit that I haven't done so well with the other soft plastic variations but I suspect that is a technique problem..
All things considered it seems that a lot of the soft plastic varieties work here........

My missus hasn't caught the plastic bug yet........but she has had get fun there using mullet flesh..... cut into a thin triangle and on a slow retrieve.........

Never the less Smithy I will probably see you there soon (keep posting - Nothing like some gentle encouragement).... just give me time to get organised and get another rig!!!

Hartimes101........ :P