PDA

View Full Version : Slim pickings in the Pacific with Palermo

bugman
12-07-2003, 04:42 AM
Hello,

Lucky Phil and I were priviledged enough to get a gurnsey on Snapper King John Palermo's charter boat last night fishing Tempset. This was a night trip chosen by John as the prime snapper fishing peak to co-incide with Snapper spawning on the reefs.
John hadn't been on his boat since this time last year when he led the same expedition (before new bag limits) and they landed 5 very very large bins full of snapper and were back on the deck by 9:00pm.
We left at 2:30pm with 11 fisherman on board (which would later be reduced to 8 because of seasickness).
Seas a choppy 1.5 with winds about 15 knots. Biggest influence on the night was current - running at a raging 1-2 knots.
Snapper leads were lucky to get to the bottom even at anchor - with lines finishing at least 100 metres away from the boat. Worst still John says the snapper won't spawn in the strong current and fail to school up.
The result was a paltry catch of squire - 30 in total with the biggest lucky to go 41 cms. (half a bin's worth). We hit the wharf at 12:20am

Bit of a shame - #my 4 squire now work out at $37 each - but that's fishing.

I have to say that John tried absolutely everything to try and put us on to the fish - moving lots, looking for less current - even motor drifting - all to no avail.

Best thing was I was this "....." close to see Phil's famous patented silent spew. Nearly.

Bugman

Fisheasy
12-07-2003, 05:40 AM
That's fishing! At least you guys got to bring something home. A lot of charters can't even offer that.

Fishing_Jim
12-07-2003, 09:06 AM
I'm assuming you were fishing Deep Tempest. Did you come in and try Shallow at any stage?

snappa
12-07-2003, 09:09 AM
bugman
save your pennies and come out with me as peterbo3 did on tuesday. peter baged out and each fish cost $12.oo
and some whale watching thrown in as a extra

bugman
12-07-2003, 10:42 AM
Jim,

Yeah we tried many a place, Deep and Shallow - Phil might be able to help me out here with accuracy but even went right into shallow at somewhere called Ricks-Nicks?. Fished south towards the bar as well.
Current was everywhere. In hindsight I think my call of 1-2 knots was probably very light it was probably 2-3.

Snappa,
I'll be on the next one mate - do you do weekends or am I going to have to take a sickie. Peter's story went for about an hour on Wednesday night ;)

Bugman

Lucky_Phill
12-07-2003, 12:33 PM
There comes a time when one must say to ones self, " enough is enough ".

I have been on countless Charters and afterwards, I say, No More, yet, when next time comes around, I'm in. Why ?

I have no idea, maybe it's the " this time I'll nail 'em " thing, or just forgotten what a useless effort charters are. ( not all, mind you, just the Capitol City based ones like , Brisvegas, Gold Coast etc.)

These days, with access to my own ( carlos ) Big Rig, and many others around Ausfish etc, why the %$#@ would ya pay $150 to dong just legal squire in 90 meters of water. ???

Someone give me an uppercut next time I say I'm going on a charter.

OK, the fish didn't co-operate, that happens. But, the other aspects are:-

tangles, small baits, sub-standard gear ( personal view, although the M10 rods are fantastic ), a wet boat ( if you know what I mean ).

John obviously tried to put us on fish, and I have know John personally for over 10 years, and he wouldn't try to dud anyone.

Just blowin off a little steam here >:( :(

Probably more mad at myself for gettin talked into another charter.

My fish worked out at $50 each and in turn was $150 per kilo for fillets. That's not the point of fishing you say. :P :P

I must have a reality check, get back to basics of fishing etc. Shoot guys, I love donging average Bream anywhere and it costs me $10 fuel and 50 cents on bait and I'll have over 5kg's of fillets.

I need a break, or breaka girl ??? ::) :o

Cheers Forelorn Phill

Fisherman02
12-07-2003, 02:09 PM
Someone give me an uppercut next time I say I'm going on a charter How bout we give u an uppercut next time you wear lycra on an m&g
cheers

jaybee
12-07-2003, 02:12 PM
I agree jack
phil
I need a break, or breaka girl try not wearing lycra phil ROFLMAO.
cheers
joe.

jaybee
12-07-2003, 02:15 PM
hey brett i think ya call on the 15 knot wind might have been a little off as well unless bom was wrong, checked it last nite 23 knots at the cape at 10 pm,but then you were in a big boat, (half ya luck) was hoping to go out early this morning. such is life eh.
cheers
joe.

aido
12-07-2003, 02:31 PM
150 bucks for a few squire is depressing.
i'm sure the charter operator tries his best to get a boatload though.
last time i went out on john palermo's big cat, the fish were rare.
the conditions were 15-20 kts and getting worse around midnight.
half the guys that went were crook and berlying in and out of the boat.
john lost ALL his anchors on tempest and then held position using the
motors to stay on station while the few guys still braving it tried to get
old man snapper up. wasn't going to happen so finally called it a night
way past midnight.
next day i went back to manly harbour to pick something up that was left
on the boat, there's john busy with the boat on the slipway getting lines
and stuff of his engine legs.
having been on a few charters myself, john palermo's was the best. he never once stopped trying to give the guys what they wanted (snapper), his tackle was first rate (m10 and penn 330 reels), doesn't get angry when guys turn to
him with a birdsnest or snag the leg for the umpteenth time, and his deckies do
a bloody good job too.
i reacon it's worth $150 just to fish with the legend and learn some of his tricks.
do it again, anytime thanks.

Big_Kev
12-07-2003, 02:54 PM
Phil if you had a good look at the true figures of the cost of the fillets coming over the side of Mia Culpa you would soon surmise that a charter is good value if you catch nothing.
But we all seem to discount that money spent on the boat is not lost to the enchanted man of the sea.
But I have to agree the breaker girl idea does work well.
Cheers Kev

Lucky_Phill
12-07-2003, 03:52 PM
Maybe I'm being a little too harsh on the charter folk.

I'll attempt to put in perspective.

Over my many years of fishing the big water, I have been fortunate to skipper boats such as a 28ft Bertram and a 40ft Mariner.

So, having these boats at my disposal and fishing with 3 to 4 people each time, made the experience a pleasant one. Yes, I do realise how fortunate I have been, in that not many folks can be in that position.

Hence my harshness at the charterers'.

Looking back, while typing this, I find myself realising that I have indeed been lucky to have fished where I have, have caught the fish I have, seen the sights and experienced events that some people only dream about.

I too, have goals in the fishing arena. Unfortunately, I seem to drifting further away, by not focusing on the big picture.

Sorry to ramble guys, but my Lycra's are riding up :P

Phill

peterbo3
12-07-2003, 04:05 PM
Hi Phill,
Tell us all what the goals are. I'm not even sure about the posts.(Yes, it could be a pun) ;) ;) ;)

jaybee
12-07-2003, 04:30 PM
Sorry to ramble guys, but my Lycra's are riding up mmmm maybe you wont live this down phil, but then how much do you think it will cost to keep it quiet ;D good to see you enjoyed yaself tho, if the fish aint hungry then there is nothing you can do about it eh, except enjoy yaself
cheers
joe.

mackmauler
16-07-2003, 12:18 PM
Bugman, your always welcome on my boat even if you complain about getting wet ;) whats the worst youve done, 4 bucks a fish or something like that ;D