PDA

View Full Version : Hayes Inlet Flathead 01/08/03

rakey1
03-08-2003, 05:19 AM
Had another excellant session on lizards at Hayes Inlet yesterday arvo.
Started fishing around 3.30 pm, aiming to work the last couple of hours of the run out tide, finishing at 5.30 pm, beaten by the sun going down and the missus demand to be home on time to go out to tea at the Bayview.
Results for two hours fishing were:
Released 1 x 68cm, 1 x 50cm, 3 x undersize
Kept 1 x 44cm, 1 x 47cm and 1 x 36cm bream
This was my first bream on soft plastic, something I think I will start targeting a little more based on the way that fish smashed the paddle tail.
Gear used was 4kg spin tackle, on the business end was 30cm of 10kg trace and a 65mm squidge in silver fox color.
These would have to be the most effective lizard lure I have ever used, to the point were I haven`t used a hard body lure since first trying them.
Water clarity is good in the inlet at the moment, but red weed is starting to appear.
Not a bad trip, but not as good as some others I have had down here in the last couple of months.
Cheers
Rakey

snappa
03-08-2003, 12:02 PM
great results
from a boat
roughly where did you fish

rakey1
04-08-2003, 02:18 PM
Not from a boat Snappa, all fish caught from the bank. I wont say exactly where, buy go for a look and you will soon see where the lies are.
I work about 200 meters of bank in the 2 hours of fishing.
Cheers
Rakey

flathead_killer
08-08-2003, 05:34 PM
I know where you would fish brother I fish there alot went there on Saturday didn't even get a hit I have not left there without a flathead for years. Very ordinary but theres always next time. You on the ocean side then work back on the flats?

Swoop

xxxxhornet
12-08-2003, 03:27 PM
took your advice with the silver fox squidqie - could oly get the 50mm one - got my first ever soft plastic caught fish today on a squidgie - got busted off in first 5 mins then caught an 20cm one in the next 10 (released !). Geez they smash em! The red weed was pretty bad but fish were hitting up in patches where the weed was staying off the lure.
Just parked the boat up and went for a walk - will definetely be back down there - i'm hooked - the flatties were getting out of the way everywhere on the way over in the boat