PDA

View Full Version : Wellington Point / Green

vertico
07-09-2003, 11:20 AM
What a great day, there was no wind all morning right up till i left at 1:30pm was using soft plastics all day and caught around 30 fish. Ranging from the old moses pearch and squire to these long fish which to me look like juvenile baracuda or couta whichever. alot of these couta were around 50cm and sure did pull on light tackle. Ended up landing around 20 couta and left for the ramp with them still biting on the soft plastics.

Good day, now i have got my technique right!

cyahs later

jaybee
07-09-2003, 11:49 AM
vertico if they were couta the smaller ones arent too bad to eat although have eaten better, very strong tasting, like grinners not as many bones, sounds like the weather was too perfect to catch what you were chasing, but you get that. better luck next time, i opted to stay home, but at least i caught up on some maintenance. oh well. next time.
cheers

vertico
07-09-2003, 02:17 PM
yerh im not real keen on the couta anyway they will be there for next time i want to test out a new hot plastic :)
i think i used 10 different lures today and each one produced,
today was so good i should have gone out to some wrecks off moreton in the northen bay, but didnt know what was going to happen with the weather oh well
might try these plastics in the river mouth next week , ive heard they are catching heaps of big bream on them of late
nehow till next time

sharkbait
08-09-2003, 04:15 PM
vertico you sure they werent pike, get heaps of them around there and they are partial to a soft plastic

argonautical
08-09-2003, 06:17 PM
Vertico,

I have caught a few Grinners in that part of the world.

argo

vertico
09-09-2003, 08:35 AM
could have been pike
ive been told thats what they were
sure do look like small couta/ cuda
hmm are these good eating ? cos i caught some nice size
and what do they taste like ?
thanks

craigie
09-09-2003, 10:09 AM
Pike are certainly edible and they monster soft plastics. They are primarily are a great bait for larger predators (Tailor,Jew,Snapper etc) either Whole and alive or slabbed.

May pay to keep a few next time they tear apart your good Softies ;)

Cheers
Craigie.

vertico
09-09-2003, 11:36 AM
bloody oath
i had a fair few soft plastics torn to shreds
i dont care if they arent nice to eat ill just let em go so i can catch em next time , when nothing else is biting
atleast now i know where to find them

spook
11-09-2003, 05:03 AM
What sort of soft plastics were u using and what sort of rigs were they used on, really trying to get into soft plastics at the moment, and trying to get as much information as I can about them! ;D

vertico
11-09-2003, 08:57 AM
the pike were smashing anything :) as long as the technique was good
i use a slow retrieve with a jerking motion on the rod every 3 seconds or so depends on the fish / day

i use atomic soft plastics and a shitload of other brands
im currently doing the best on a Kokoda B-Grub 5cm (2inch)
its bright orange and it hooks all fish so far

i also caught 2 moses perch from the same place i got the pike
nehow laters

straddie
11-09-2003, 09:56 AM
If they are striped sea pike, yellowtail pike, I used to catch them in manly boat harbour using red wool wrapped around a no4 longshank or squid strip app 1/2cm x 5cm :D Plastics should kill em.

Decent cut bait for bream and flatties, whole for snapper and jew, live for snapper, jew and big spotties. Much much better fresh than frozen.