PDA

View Full Version : off shore 9/11/03

opimax
10-11-2003, 01:36 PM
..giday all , had to pull pin on overniter to barwon banks due to updated forecast for 15 to 20 s/e winds ???. so dicided to have early nite & have a go in the morning :o. a few rumbos & into bed ::). anyway left bribie boat ramp at 2.00am for a 30 mph trip to the cape :D. went to spot x(thanks snapper) & pulled a 8.4 snapper ;D last weeks was 8.1 . ( peter i think i owe you a trolling trip).a few more drifts & nothing so moved to hutchs, put a spead of lures & trolled , after 20 mins line pelled off the tld 30 at a rapid of kns ::) ::), after a lot of jumping & tail walking that had me freaking out a dolphin fish that pulled the scales down to 15.3 kgs. still trying to post photos hopefully will follow soon. agreat day on the high seas , i thing i did notice was a lack of boats it was good to have it all to my self. ::) ::) lee

opimax
10-11-2003, 02:47 PM
p.s trolled all around cotham city & did`t see one grey nurse shark on sounder ::) ::) ::) ::) lee

mackmauler
10-11-2003, 02:56 PM
good onya lee, that is a top bull dolphin it will be hard to beat that one, they always put on a good show on the line and in the boat ;) what sort of lure was to its fancy? cheers rob

snappa
10-11-2003, 02:59 PM
opimax lee..
i sure will take you up on the offer. ;D

my poor resident snappa.... ::)
but then i get a kick out of it as much as lee, knowing hes catching good snappa :-/
provided he leaves the 10 kg for me FIRST ;D

i am putting up lees fish photo to help him out

:o bloody great fish or should i say two great fish :o
are they my hooks hanging out of the snappa :-X
;D ;D ;D
lee.... just got the phone call leaving tomorrow late. hire car to bundy and then fish the reefs down to D/I.. 8) home by friday.

jeffo
10-11-2003, 03:21 PM
geez thats a big dolphin! :o good knobbie as well. as for those grey nurse sharks.. you gotta watch them !! according to one of the articles i read about the proposed closure it read "grey nurse sharks have been known to regularly eat lures". im still waiting to see a grey nurse rise to a pattern of pakulas and eat one ;D

snappa
10-11-2003, 03:47 PM
lee...
went into ausfish achives and retrived my pic of a dolpfin(mahi mahi) ;D
it was caught at deep tempest in 1999.... 15kgs :o
from memory it surfaced at the back of the boat.took a pilly. once hooked it played up and circled the boat a couple of times. :D

Cloud_9
10-11-2003, 05:12 PM
top fish there, apart from saturday just gone its been 10 years from last capture of dolphin fish, my best was only 10Kg. what line class were you useing??

Anchors_Away
11-11-2003, 07:29 AM
geeeeeeeeeee

:'( :'( :'(
what a tragedy. that two great beasts of the ocean have been slaughtered .. FOR WHAT..
so you can say 'shit they tasted good'. :(

over the top. only if you elected to keep one fish and released the other it would have made sense but to keep two.
the amount of fillets they would have provided. >:(
why
its not if you are not going out fishing for the next 3 months
remember the "billy lids". the next time and maybe they might be able to enjoy the same >:(

mackmauler
11-11-2003, 07:52 AM
anchors away..............

very hipocritical post from you there ??? i see you have just changed your signature to support that view ::) why is that?? ;D

smerl
11-11-2003, 08:44 AM
Lee,

Top catch mate. Was that Spot X the first one that we tried the day that I was out with Snappa and we were fishing next to you?

Let's hope there are a few more awesome dolphin fish like that one around this season.

Ironic isn't it that a bloke who posts:

look for the boat anchored at the BEACON :o

i will be reducing the fish stocks. :-X
stop and say hello.
a large white boat with a blood stream from the arseend. whats it called again you know the blunt end ???

gives you grief about bringing home two fish. About time some people on this board concentrated more on catching big fish and making their own decision on wether to realse them or not, rather than bagging others for their decisions. I guess it's easy to criticize if you are not catching any decent fish yourself and therefore not faced with the dilemma of deciding what to do with them . If it's legal and you're going to use the catch then by all means take it home, I say.

Thanks for the post. I know it made me wish that I was out there instead of poking around the bay on Saturday.

Cheers,

Smerl

beefaman
11-11-2003, 09:09 AM
Would have to say that they are two excellent fish, and while I do catch and release, I am certainly NOT going to bag someone who does keep them, after all you are breaking NO LAW!! If and when it changes, then and only then do people have the right to be pi$$ed off completely about the non return of fish. It seems to me as soon as a good pic gets whacked up, then it is a contest to see who is quickest to sink the old "should of been released" boot in >:(
Why dont people put effort into banning netting etc. instead of bagging amateur fisherman who are keeping .00000001% of what gets pillaged from our oceans >:(
Anyways, once again, nice fish [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

snappa
11-11-2003, 09:35 AM
giday

i just drop in for a look before i take off to bundy :o
i know the snappa coming from spot x will not be RELEASED ;D
lee
home friday so we might get out sat or sun for a fish and a troll ???

in your travels, if you come across a mincer, can you buy it for me to use to make berley. :)
i have to buy "the one who must be obeyed" a new blender :-[

anchors is a little mixed up :-X

snappa
11-11-2003, 09:46 AM
lee...

i just noticed that its webbys weekend at the beacons. :)
if you have no crew or you can fit me as crew
i will ring on friday nite ???

opimax
11-11-2003, 11:51 AM
giday all
rob it was a 8 inch green bullit head skirt trolled at 6 knts .
anchor_away, i read your other post won`t say anything more .
smerl, that was spot. lee

four_stroke
11-11-2003, 02:49 PM
nice fish mate :o if u eatem [smiley=chef.gif] keepem i say, if u don't someone else will.

damons33
11-11-2003, 03:02 PM
lee it was a smart move to go morton as the mooloolabah area was nude of snapper but had heaps of little cobes and pearlies
(in 30m of water)
thats a nice dolly but i dont think they are that flash to eat and they do provide easy ansa points at 1.5factor
i have never had any drama stop a dolly on 4kilo line and have got them to 15kg. i still think nthn blues fight the best with billys and sails a close second, snapper that size pull like trucks but they do knock up quickly with 2 or 3 short but strong runs and their done. i don't see the point of putting a hook into something to be only for sport especially with the cost of fish, so we got another person who either don't like the taste of fish or has got more dollars then sence- fish is great for your health eat big and live long! just finished eatting some cobe curry yum yum!

jeffo
11-11-2003, 03:39 PM
where at mooloolaba were the cobes? i went out and all i could manage was a few longtails. very small longtails. not very good points on 6 kg :o

Jeremy
12-11-2003, 09:43 AM
Jeffo,

I was out with Damon on Friday and Saturday (see other thread "techniques for fishing for snapper"). We were on Murphies reef and got 3 small cobia around 4-5 kg floatlining pilchards.

Where were the longtails? We saw a few small tuna on the surface on Friday afternoon, and caught a few small mack tuna on the troll on Sunday, but didn't see any actual schools of tuna working.

Jeremy

jeffo
12-11-2003, 11:55 AM
i found one LITTLE patch of longtails working just south of old woman island. there were no other boats there and i got 3 shots at them for 3 fish. very small longtails, would have been lucky to go 4kg.