PDA

View Full Version : Gold Coast Spanish Sun 30/5

XLR8
31-05-2004, 10:12 AM
Had another great morning with a mate.
Got another 2 Spanyards 10.5 and 12kg and about 5 mac tuna's
Lost a absolute whopper of a spanyard at the boat, will have to stop using braid when trolling. Has anyone have any thoughts on this.
My mate who out there in his own boat ended up catching 6 spanyards with a triple hookup on one run. He and a mate trolls with 4 rods and I use 2, cause thats all I own. He released all of his as he caught 3 last saturday and has a full freezer.
This was my mates first spanyard and a P.B he was very excited when the first rod went off and he was meet with a toothy grin.

XLR8
31-05-2004, 10:14 AM
Another pic

Maria
31-05-2004, 10:18 AM
Few nice fish there mate - well done. Seems to be a fair few hanging around down your way at the moment. What caused the big spanish to break free? Line rub on the side/underside of the boat? How heavy braid? What leader you using? Knots?

Ben

XLR8
31-05-2004, 10:33 AM
Ther hooks ended up pulling after about 15mins.
I'm using 60cm 60lb wire to a 80lb leader approx 4meter then 50lb braid. I lengthend the leader to add as a shock absorber.
With the one that got away, I backed that drag of on my TLD20 with the braid. I reckon there was approx 4kg of drag on at the time.
All the Spanish I have boated was on the TLD15 with 10kg mono/40ld leader and 60lb wire.
I might remove the braid and get some 30ld for the TLD20.
I would like to hear what the Mackmauler has to say with his trolling outfits.
I see he uses the Lively Lure Blue Pilley a lot.
I have given them a go but find they can blow out around 10knots. They are still a good lure with heaps of action but I have been trolling quite fast.
What do people reckon about the braid. Should I revert back to mono for a little bit of shock absoption

Cloud_9
31-05-2004, 11:13 AM
what are you trolling ?? lures or baits.
how far out.???

Cheers Cloud 9

Maria
31-05-2004, 11:27 AM
So where did it break? At the braid, the mono, the knot joining the braid to the mono or the wire? What knot you joining the braid/mono with?

Rob runs a similar setup (rigs) to what you're using, only on a TLD25 and we never have issues at all.

As for the lively lures, we troll at about 6kts and have no dramas with them. They seem to perform well at that speed. Have a chat to Rob for more info.

Ben

XLR8
31-05-2004, 12:09 PM
No breakages just the hooks pulled however last Friday I lost one when the swivel fell apart.
I'm trolling Halco 160's and screemer skirts.
I'm not sure of the name of the knot I use but it's basically fold the mono leader over. thread the braid through the loop in the mono with 5 turns up the mono and 5 turns back then back through the loop. I think it's a albright. This knot keeps the tag ends running flat against the line making it run through the guides easier.
Yeah I have a few of the Blue pilly's, one shall and one deep. My favorite is the Arafura, Mario from Caloundra put me onto these after he kept trolling up Snapper at Brays Rock Caloundra. Who would have thought!!

XLR8
31-05-2004, 12:14 PM
Hey Cloud 9, trolling in water 30-50 feet deep approx 500m off the beach down towards Surfers, Too easy. I must say thought going fast has been the key. Get the lures out then trottle the boat up, my 60 yammy 4st is doing 3000rpm and around 8-11 knots roughly

Cloud_9
31-05-2004, 12:27 PM
ok there not blownin out at that speed the halco's that is??
where u just doin laps up and back??

northsboy
31-05-2004, 03:16 PM
Top couple of fish there mate!! Been waiting for some more macky reports! Well done!