PDA

View Full Version : Went to Mud.

SeaHunt
01-06-2004, 11:36 AM
Hi Guys,
Left Pinkenba about 3pm., wind was from the south and somewhat gusty so we headed off a little nervous about what conditions might be like out on the bay.

Stopped off near the big outlet trying to sang some livies with the cast net. There were a few hardiheads about , but not for me , mostly because I forgot I had a fairly big hole in the net after a disagreement with a rock in the Burnett river about a month ago. :P

Anyway headed out and was relieved to find the bay fairly flat with very little wind so motored over at about 25 knots to the North West corner, got my ticket and parked in a spare spot alongside the other 30 boats, with a little bit of structure showing underneath.

Down with the burley (bottom) and into it. Some small squire and sweatlip and one small spangled emperor came on board and were sent straight back home to mum. Then on the turn of the tide just after dark, a few larger squire , one 40cm went into the esky and that was it, the current started up again , the wind started to pick up from the West/Northwest and they went off the bite.
My mate lost 3 , two busted off which would have been keepers (I told him his leader was too light) and another really good run while he was demonstrating to me how his baitrunner worked, instead of striking. ???

The wind was really picking up, everyone else looked like they had deserted us, so we decided to go around to the South East side.
Heading around the top of Mud #in the dark we almost ran over what appeared to be a trawlers net. Solid rope, floats every 3 metres or so.. #WTF, I would have been really pissed off if I had wrapped that around the prop, anyone else see it? >:( >:(

SE corner ,a few bites , nothing much happening , cold and windy so we called it a night around 9:30.
So total one 40cm squire. #:P
No sharks or grinners surprisingly.
We had a pilchard on a float out the back the whole time (about 5 hours) and it was still there when we packed up?

Slow, bumpy and cold trip back into 20-25 knot Westerly.

P.S. #
I am going back next weekend.

bin_lookin
01-06-2004, 01:40 PM
went to mud on sunday aswell seen the nets allso was a barge there to doing some thing you wauld think they can put drum floats with at least lights on them so you can see them

bin lookin

webby
01-06-2004, 02:40 PM
You didnt by chance run into the oyster farm they have set up along the northern side there.
Bettter luck next weekend mate.
Sounds like every dog and his cat was out there ;D
regards

bin_lookin
01-06-2004, 03:35 PM
hi guys

thats soughted out ,be a good spot for the bream to be ,if you can get close to the no anchore zone .any ideas on other spots at mud to try, have not fished to much there, and like to try. went sunday and got a feed beginers luck i think

cheers bin lookin

Cheech
01-06-2004, 05:30 PM
Heap of under size squire. Had all 3 reels going off at once at one stage. That was good fun.

Then a couple of grinners. Took the hooks out of one and then sent it back down live baited rigged. Just to see what might happen.

10 minutes later the baitrunner went off. It was big, but unfortunately with the lack of fight I knew it was probably vermin.

Took a while but finally got it to the surface. Was a big Wobbygong shark. Hard to tell but probably 1.3 - 1.5 metres. Not quite as big as Webby's the previous week, but close. Was a lot of fun on medium gear and by far the biggest thing I have caught.

So no feed, but a lot of fun.

Cheech

SeaHunt
01-06-2004, 07:38 PM
Not sure about oyster farm Webby, I was a fair way offshore , about in line with the Cardinal marks on the Nothwest corner, and the floats were in like a big arc, I will have to go back in the daylight and have a look.
Cheech mate, how exactly do you live bait rig a grinner, I am trying to imagine where the hooks go ::) ::) ::)

Cheech
02-06-2004, 08:09 AM
Yeh, I wasn't sure what to do so just put the top hook through the top jaw with the barb pointing up, and the bottom hook in the usual place in front of the pectoral fin. The bottom hook was only just in because I was actually using circle hooks as well and they were not the easiest thing to try to get into the round body.

Wasn't pretty, but seemed to work.

Havn't had any probs without a gps getting home as I have worked out light groups on the shore that if I aim at then I end up just north of the sectioned off area at the end of the reclaiming. And have only headed out in daylight.

Cheech