PDA

View Full Version : Lookout locations

Maria
09-06-2004, 03:58 PM
Rob, myself and Justin (thunnus) left Raby Bay this morning for a sceptical ride through the bay towards the usual spots off Point Lookout. Dark clouds aired a few worries, but as the trip progressed, the clouds were seen to be breaking. As we rounded the bar and headed out to the bait grounds, the jigs came to the ready for the live bait collection. Unfortunately, no live baits would donate their services to us today, so off we went to troll for some fast running action. After a single hit on a trial lure which gave way and lost the fish, the only other connection was a yellowtail kingy which inhaled a blue pilly diver.

From there, we moved out to the dolphin fish grounds where we brought countless dollies to the chew, and consequently into the bag. Numerous were released. Justin had a ball bagging 12 dollies on his fly outfit. A little bottom bashing was done which produced a nice parrot and a squire, amongst other reefies.

Soon after, we moved further out to the 100m line and dropped for pearlies and piggies. Justin nailed a nice catch of two pearlies and two piggies on the one rig just before Rob’s lucky dip. What was a piggy hookup, soon turned into a 15 minute battle with a huge bar cod (correction if necessary) which nailed the piggy, and as a result became hooked on the other droppers. Estimated weight to be around 7-8kg.

After another brief run to the dollie grounds, we decided to pull lines and head for home with dark clouds looming overhead. The bay was glassed out and made for a great ride in after the swell began to pick up outside.

Ben

Maria
09-06-2004, 04:28 PM
Justin, great fishing with you today mate and good to see you dong a few on the fly.

Can you post pics from your digi at your next convenience please.

Thanks mate

Ben

FishFinger1977
09-06-2004, 04:39 PM
Rob's fishing charters? Good stuff fellas can't wait to see the pics.

mackmauler
09-06-2004, 06:17 PM
A pleasure to have you fellas aboard it was a top day, caught my first fish on a fly rod ;D thanks justin was a real eye opener :o saw whales fed dolphins, knocked a few fish on the head, plenty of action from all ends of the boat ;) all in all a great trip 8) the reefies were welcomed, im under instruction not to bring any dolphinfish home they are sick of eating them, pearl perch still welcome #??? cheers Rob

mackmauler
09-06-2004, 06:17 PM
fly dolphin

Sportfish_5
09-06-2004, 06:20 PM
Fiji Bitter ---- Gotta love it ;) :P

northsboy
09-06-2004, 07:03 PM
Top Report ben!!!! Good work boys sounds like yas had a ball out there! Thats a awsome pic there rob of the double hook-up! Ben no full face balaclava on today :-/ thats a dissapointment :P :P ;D ;D The weather dosen't look the best in that first pic but the second one looks beautiful!! Good work all in all boys!
Cheers
Liam

jeffo
10-06-2004, 01:52 AM
rob with a fly rod in hand... whats next ::) :o conditions look very average in that first pic!

jaybee
10-06-2004, 03:18 AM
rob with a fly rod in hand oh oh, the dark side beckons. ;D

michael_Brewer
10-06-2004, 03:51 AM
SHII HIT YES! awesome report boys! looks like yas got into some good fish! would've love to have seen justin get into those dollies! weather does look pretty average but an awesome day I bet. have ya got any photos of that Barr cod? never heard of one!

congratulations rob... you've done it again! ;D ;D

Reefmaster
10-06-2004, 03:53 AM
Gee guys are trying to make everyone quiet there jobs ;D Top effort
Cheers Greg

Maria
10-06-2004, 06:29 AM
Liam, wait until Justin uploads his photos - ;D

Hahahah....I got me old man to fillet the fish for once! Wooohooo! I think mine are getting a little tired of dolphin fish too.

Fiji Bitter rocks.

Ben

thunnus
10-06-2004, 08:30 AM
photos will be up later this evening.......even rob with a dolly on fly!

thanks for the day boys - had an awesome time, cant wait to get a monster dolly on fly now!

cheers, Justin

firetruck
10-06-2004, 09:19 AM
Great work fellas.

If you get sick of them dolphin fillets i'll be happy to take them off your hands ;D

Out of interest, how big is the boat you guys go out in?

Maria
10-06-2004, 10:09 AM
14 ft....or there abouts. More info, ask Rob (mackmauler).

Ben

thunnus
10-06-2004, 01:08 PM
here are the pics.......................

rob with his first fish on fly - nice little dollie. For someone who has never picked up a fly rod, rob was a natural, casting extreamly well with a shooting head set up which arnt exactually recommended for beginners.

thunnus
10-06-2004, 01:09 PM
ben with the best dollie for the day - had him in all sorts for a little while.

thunnus
10-06-2004, 01:10 PM
robs cod............and a little piggie that didnt quite make it!

thunnus
10-06-2004, 01:12 PM
another pic of the cod.................its a rough world down there!

thunnus
10-06-2004, 01:22 PM
Lookout for the Ocean Cylinder Bandits - they have a face only a mother could love

Maria
10-06-2004, 01:27 PM
That last pic's for you Liam....the balaclava specialty, all the way from us to you. #;D

Ben

jeffo
10-06-2004, 01:40 PM
even a mother could love... i wouldnt even go that far ::) ;D

DaneCross
10-06-2004, 01:47 PM
ROFLMAO @ the balaclava pic... I don't know what I would do if I saw a boat load of balacava weilding bandits out on the water - probly start her up and head flat bikkis in the other direction ;D

SeaHunt
10-06-2004, 01:53 PM
Balaclava and Ugg boots eh Rob, good to see you're no slave to fashion 8) 8) 8) ::)

northsboy
10-06-2004, 04:13 PM
LMAO BEN!!!!!!! GOod to see a pic dedicated just to me :-* ;D ;D
Thats top stuff fellas lol!! ;D ;D ;D