PDA

View Full Version : Disease- Noosa River

mattyb
15-06-2004, 02:40 PM
Hey All
Anyone heard anything about the disease in the noosa river? heard something about somethin killing afew fish in the system. I think its called red or white spot disease.
Anyone got any info?
???
Cheers mattyb

nofrills
15-06-2004, 05:14 PM
hey matty

i just got back from a week at noosa and its bad REAL BAD. :o.It seems to mainly effect the bream but the extent of the infection is the bad thing,i did a trip up the river with my cousin who has a beam trawler (dont hold it against me :-[)and id reccon if he caught 100 bream 90 of em were infected.most of them have like a big pussy ulcer on their side but some have half their heads missing and are still alive ???
he said he caught 2 mullet also with it this week.
on the radio up there they called it red spot and said dont eat the fish :P.tell ya what im never eating another bream as long as i live and im not touching one without checking both sides either.
i took the kids down the jetty for a fish and their was 1 dead bream on the bank and another half headed thing swimming round the pylons ::).
the cousins family have always fished noosa river and he reccons it has happened before over the years.they put it down to some bad sort of run off from up river but i looks like some bad bacterial thing to me ???
anyway i did take a pick of it so ill post a photo here tommorow.

cheers scott

el_carpo
15-06-2004, 10:27 PM
That sure doesn't sound good. Can anything be done about it? Is this river system going to affect others (tributaries) or is it contained? I hope it doesn't get into your wells or water supplies. If they're telling you not to eat them, I'm guessing it can be spread to humans. Scary.

Dylan_Rylatt
16-06-2004, 05:50 AM
thats fuk to hear that.i am a little surprised that we have not hered more about it on the news. i am a fish keeper myself and generally stress and the cold brings on the red and white spot. interesting to find out how long it lasts

Dylan

Zeeke
16-06-2004, 09:59 AM
i think you'll find that its a form of infection brought on by all the recent rains, ive often caught bream with such red spot infections in the upper reaches of maroochy and mooloolaba river, the fish stress out because of the sudden rush of fresh water.. they wont hurt you if you eat them.. but will make ya feel bit funny cuz it looks gross... but all the fish ive caught have been perfectly healthy in respect to fighting and strength.. it passes usually... but when the red spots turn into boils or worse.. cavitys.. then youve got something to really worry bout.. a flesh eating bacteria that effects sick fish or something.. saw in on Discovery channel one day.. a complete river system whiped out because the bacteria killed all the fish.. had something to do with chemical polutting and raw sewerage being dumped in the river

Tim

mattyb
16-06-2004, 03:05 PM
yeah shit don't think id be chansen to eat anythin half dodgy.pretty harsh stuff by the sounds of it.if ya take away the bream pop from the noosa river that takes a hell of alot of fishin out of the system.wat are the authorities tryin to do about it?hope its only short term!!!!