PDA

View Full Version : Pumistone Passage

philip_thomson
15-06-2004, 04:16 PM
headed out from pumistone passage today into the bay and put out a pilchard floater got a small little undersize tailor :-(. decided to go drifting around for whatever caught 2 undersize bartail flathead as well as a hook in the finger nice dribble of blood resulted and 3 flathead spikes. :-( saw heaps of boats out early just wondering if anyone else got a chance to head out into the bay today and if so if they had any luck
cheers philip

Hutcho
16-06-2004, 06:42 AM
I saw quite a few boats coming back through the bar yesterday morning. The bar looked pretty nasty on the outgoing tide, with some large swells coming through. It was my old man's b'day on Sunday, and all he wanted to do was go for a fish, so I obligingly took him out for a day on the passage with about a zillion other boats yesterday. I usually avoid daytime fishing on pub hol's in eustaries, just too much traffic, and I wanted to sleep in!

Someone obviously had some luck offshore today, as I was bringing the boat back in at the PowerBoat club, there were two massive spanish mackeral frames just next to the boat ramp. Someone got some good fillets on them. I estimate they would have been around 17-18kgs. So they are obviously still out there. Passage was awesome for boating, glassed out mostly. Just the typical bream and lizard catches. Bream are in plague proportions right now. Old man was happy.

Hutcho.

beefaman
16-06-2004, 08:29 AM
Yup, there is heaps of good quality bream in the passage at the moment, and will only get better in upcoming weeks ;)

philip_thomson
16-06-2004, 01:10 PM
those spaniards sound nice id love to get one on my baitrunner one day to finally catch a legal fish on it. were can you suggest good spots to get bream in the southern part of the passage during day time?
cheers philip

peterbo3
16-06-2004, 01:20 PM
Try near the old oyster frames in Ningi Ck or the rock piles at the mouth.

caloundra
17-06-2004, 11:53 AM
hutcho
yeh the bar was pretty rough didnt see it but another boat was taken by the bar monday morning. it is very bad at the end of the runout tide

Hutcho
17-06-2004, 01:11 PM
The bar was a dead set shocker Monday! i haven't seen it as nasty as that for a couple of years. Must have been a perfect combination of a few things...run out tide, wind direction blah blah.
I noticed the Coast Guard towing a few boats around on Monday. Was it a small yelow fibreglass number that was taken? 'Ol mate in the cockpit didn't look too pleased as he was towing by....!

Try also Coochin Creek and the Skids/W's for bream Phil. Haven't been up there myself for awhile, but there are some great holes and sandbanks around there. Night time would be the best bet.

Yup, you'd have to have a bucket of water ready to put out the fire from your baitrunner if one of theose monster spaniards got a hold of it. Crikey.

Cheers,
Hutcho