PDA

View Full Version : lost faith..

bigal
24-06-2004, 10:01 AM
fished the south port broad water last saturday morn, was on the water well before dawn and only got one good tailor and a legal bream. tried everything to no avail. i have lost faith as this is four times without a substantial catch.. there must be no fish left up there.. :'(

reefraider_II
24-06-2004, 01:25 PM
bigal ... i agree too popular too much traffic
hey what about the bridge or out towards tipplers surely must be some good banks left what bait were you using and what size line and rigs?

Lucky_Phill
24-06-2004, 01:29 PM
Try fishing at NIGHT.

Mid week, at night, Council Chambers, blood worms, 6lb line, long wands and little weight.

Again, try " the logs " at night, mid week, chook gut etc.

Try tossing lures/ poppas off the nth wall facing nth. at night !

it's a start.

Phill

TonyM
24-06-2004, 01:36 PM
Did I see a common theme there Phil? ;D

I ALWAYS get my best catches at night - I like fishing in the daytime too - but that's more like boating "and I just happen to have some fishing gear" - when dusk is close I start to get serious.

CHRIS_aka_GWH
24-06-2004, 01:39 PM
in daytime away from the "highways" - shallow water, worms, small sinker 1.5metre traces drifting the flats around crab island - whiting, bream flathead. Same around Brown island.

think like a fish - you don't play on the freeway - neither do they

to add to phils nightime spots deep hole in front of coomera south arm at night with half pillies

gunna
25-06-2004, 08:20 AM
Fish the last hundred meters of the inside north wall - directly opposite the north wall of Wavebreak. Drift where the wall meets the sand with unweighted whole pillies on a ganged rig for good lizards.

bigal
25-06-2004, 10:17 AM
thank you all but i feel as though i have lost faith.. the last few trips up there have been two or so leagl fish but where i am down here in tweed we can usually manage a feed so i think we will stick to here... thanks again fellas :'(

Somethn_Fishy
25-06-2004, 01:41 PM
Hey Big AL,

Just dropping a line - long time listener first time caller ( you know the deal).
Anyhow I fished the Broadwater lastnight (25/06/04) from about 8pm - 12.30 am using Pillies - caught about 25 legal bream with 12 kept (>28cm largest was 35cm). Also lost a couple of really unstoppables - almost spooled me.

Surprisingly I was the only one out there and the fishing was great - had to berley heaps (handful every few minutes all night).

Fished around the north wall of the seaway anchored in about 10 m of water.

Hopefully you feel that the broadwater still has something to offer - by the way I am actually from the Tweed area myself and find the fishing better at Southport.

Cheers

Lucky_Phill
25-06-2004, 01:46 PM
did someone say " NIGHT ".

DOH !

good call too Chris.

That last bit of the nth wall rpoduces very good bream and ' other ' fish. there is a little eddie that forms on the in tide close to the Green. mmmm food for thought there.

Phill

Captian_Zero
28-06-2004, 03:26 PM
Fished the Broadwater on Saturday afternoon, from the last bit of sand on the Spit before the entrance to the Seaway. One undersize bream and a few toadfish. Plenty of boats zooming past did not help.

Also fished Budds Beach on the Nerang River for about 8 undersize whiting and an undersize bream.

I have fished the Broadwater quite a few times, including a charter and caught very little of quality.

Regards

Chris

Burley_Boy
29-06-2004, 01:03 PM
Really a common theme here and I would not have expected much from your spot Captn zero after such a busy Saturday. There was a squillion boats in the seaway by 7am and heaps went out, I expect they all came back in once the wind picked up so a very busy day on the Broadwater.

What would be nice is to find a spot where I could take the kids and toss a line in daytime and actually catch fish before they get bored.... Now that seems to be a challenge these days but if they don't get bites continuously then they won't come out with me next time.
;DLast time the kids ate the pippis and wanted the yabbies cooked...

craigie
29-06-2004, 02:05 PM
Burley Boy,

Take the kids out fishing for Winter Whiting in the bay.
Thrill a minute stuff for the youngsters.

If you don't own a boat, they can be hired from Beachmere boats at the mouth of the Caboulture River.

catching "Divers" in Deception Bay, is one of my first fishing experiences and got me hooked for life.

Cheers
Craig.

Burley_Boy
29-06-2004, 05:46 PM
Plenty of boats in the yard but I live on the North end of the Gold Coast so I know bugger all about "the bay". My concern is that when I was a kid it was a no brainer getting a feed of fish and it seems to have gotten a bit more like you have to apply all the tricks of the trade these days which is a bit sad. Thanks for your tip and I'll keep it in mind.
My next trip on the water is more geared for way past midnight around the full moon when we have an incoming tide pushing around the eddy on the green marker etc etc etc no kids will be onboard.