PDA

View Full Version : Hinchinbrook/Lucinda

Dr_Dan
17-07-2004, 07:03 AM
Just got back from spending a few days in lucinda. Tally, 1 fingermark bout 40, few little cod, AND THATS IT

Only managed to take the boat out for half a day, damn motor stopped pumping water, :'( think the impellar gone. So no boat. >:(
The worst thing was, we were in the middle of the channel when it broke down. Had to drag the boat back the few Kms across the flats till a few hundred meters from the ramp, someone came passed and gave us a tow back in.

Wanderers was absolutely PACKED. They filled all the sites (caravan and tents), and were still packing them in when we left.

O well, spose it gives us something to talk about on the next trip. better than sitting at home.

Overall, very poor fishing. Not many reports of anything being caught. Lots of mackeral around if you had a boat big enough to get out to them.

Dan [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

firetruck
17-07-2004, 07:07 AM
I bet you're fired up for the next trip.

bazzaman
17-07-2004, 07:54 AM
shit thats not good to hear my mate is in the same place at the moment returns tommorrow after a week.....see how he goes!!!

whiteman
17-07-2004, 09:58 AM
I spent a day up there recently and caught nothing for the esky although is was mainly a sightseeing trip and we trolled. Lots of fish on the sounder at the usual haunts.

Very brave to walk a boat along the flats. There are large crocs that sunbake in that area at low tide.

no_worries
17-07-2004, 12:52 PM
Hi dan,we did a trip up to cardwell and i have to report that the fishing was pretty tough all right.
For such a lovely place there is a severe shortage of fish or their just plain smart.
We did no good at all unless we live baited and still only caught mangrove jack,trevally ,etc,and i only hooked one good barra but never landed her,still i saw her and was a very good fish but still lousy for a sold weeks fishing.
We saw a large croc in the harbour and i caught a box jellyfish on a lure trolling out of the harbour and we also caught a sea snake ,all in the harbour so all in all a dangerous place with 10 billion sandflies with nearly as many marchflies,the poor mossies just pale into comparison :'( but the people and scenery are lovely,cheers all no worries

Dave@qld
17-07-2004, 01:13 PM
Unlucky guys, I thought somebody that was heading up there to fish with a guide. Interested to hear how that went.

Because I guide at Hinchinbrook and am the only local guide the other confess to be, I was fishing last weeks but not with anyone from Brisvegas area.
The fishing is slower this time of year, obviously, being winter.
But we still managed a few Barras and numerous of other species, most days though some so far.
I only take lure & fly fishing charters, so maybe that's where you went wrong.

Better luck next time, Dave

Barrymundi
17-07-2004, 02:05 PM
I thought Cracker Jack was the only local guide ??

Dr_Dan
17-07-2004, 06:37 PM
Yeah, there were many hairy moments when there was a big swirl about 10ft in front of us when we were waste deep in water. Don't know whether the heart was racing from the exercise or from the swirls!

coral_critter
17-07-2004, 06:49 PM
Dr Dan sorry you had little luck with the fish, Did U catch up with Goldeneye?? He was supposed to rinf me this week to go out but have haven't heard from him. Weather not up to reef conditions and channel always seems to slow down in winter. I went of Taylors beach this morning and bought home 3 mac's. Only lust legal but by jingo they went well on the barby. Does anyone have a contact for GoldenEye??

thargor
18-07-2004, 03:50 AM
Ive been up there over the colder months. Had a ball on light gear with the black bream. They are that thick you can literally tuna poll them out of the snags.

Ended up catching a couple of queenies, a barra, cod and a couple of trevally.

We are talking a few years back now.

Fished live prawns on float up into the nags and in deep holes.

Dr_Dan
18-07-2004, 04:30 AM
coral_critter

didn't catch up with goldeneye. #He was fishing from cardwell i think???
A few of the boats that were able to venture out had good luck on mackies. #Apperntly there were a fair few around. #The weather was pretty good till thursday morning, then blew up. #According to the locals, next week is the week that we should have gone. #Tides too big at the moment

Thargor

You're right about the bream. #Each night on the jetty, about half a dozen of the oldies from the caravan park would wander down, and just spend an hour or two catchin bream. #

An interesting catch on the jetty one arvo was a nice painted cray. #Guy got it on a small hook with a fillet of sardine. #Neadless to say, he was pretty impressed with himself!

As i said earlier, at least it's a bloody nice place to just sit and have a few beers. #THAT ISLAND IS INCREDIBLE! #Just like jurasic park. ;)

Might have to plan a trip around chrissy when it heats up a bit.

bazzaman
18-07-2004, 05:08 AM
Guys ive fishd lucinda puttin the boat in at fishes creek and had good success! If you dont fish with live baits up there or locally caught your chances definately decreas! i was up there 2 years running in a row for two weeks and bagged out each day! Mainly on massive grunter to 6 or 5kg and big jacks and trevally queenies to 13kg......we caught a few barra but we didnt aim to just get barra.....i would go further north for them!....I love the place too....hooked plenty of unstoppables on the jetty too! No one is there in feb/march so i reckon thats the time to go!!! The park was empty!

bazzaman
18-07-2004, 05:14 AM
Yes i know golden eye (ryan) hes a mate of mine....yeah i know he was supposed to go out with a bloke up there and a charter.....Havent heard from him yet, but i sure will as soon as he arrives back....he ;; want to know how i did at the swains aswell.....Im sure he ll do a post...Most unlike Ryan not to call!!!!

Cheers
SHANE