PDA

View Full Version : Moreton Bay Sat & Manly warning

bidkev
20-07-2004, 06:02 AM
25 yrs since I fished with me boy and he said that he would like to catch a "big 'un" before he went back to Pommy Land so I decided to take him to my "shovelly spot".

Left Manly and arrived at the spot off Chain where I usually pull some big shovellies in time for the last two hours of flood. Noticed that Harry's looked like flies on a cow's arse and felt happy that we were about to fish on glass in absolute silence.

Anchored up and baited 10/0s on 3 metres of wire with whole medium to large squid, and a floated pilly on ganged 6's and immediately hooked into a stingy weighing about 8 kilos which were followed by 11 more (bigger) over the next couple of hours the largest, a leopard ray, weighing in at 14 kilos. Not a touch on the float.

I had handed the rod to my son each time I hooked into something big and the wuss was knackered by now :-) so we moved into the bank to try and pick up the odd whiting or lizard as this had proved successful before. Immediately got into the grinners and after an hour of slack water decided to return to previous spot with nothing (yet) to take home for the night's barbie.

Again, almost immediately hooked into something that shot off at a rate of knotts and then returned at similar speed to circle the boat twice (with the resulting rod passing under anchor warp and bimini [smiley=furious2.gif]and my mind had me to thinking that we were finally going to get something for the pot [smiley=laola.gif]........then it went to the bottom and stuck there for a good 15 minutes amidst line twanging, slack line giving, puffing and blowing, 2 chicken sandwiches and a swig of coke. I'd've bet all I'd got that this was a leopard ray as these buggers can go at a much faster pace than the Brownies or shovelnose. I gave it plenty of slack, waited, and eventually, just as I was thinking I'd be settling down for the night, it took off. I tightened the drag to keep it off the bottom and pumped like buggery....shit or bust!.....I wasn't bothered by now, I just wanted it over. Got it to the boat and just as I thought, it was a leopard that went about 6 foot from tip to tip and must've weighed over 30 kilo......released at side.

My son was gobsmacked and grinning from ear to ear......he'd never experienced anything like this :-)

Out went the bait again and within 5 minutes, that characteristic slow run of the ratchet told me that I was into a turtle :-( On the last 5 trips I'd hooked one of these beautiful creatures and I still fell guilty every time I get into one. Luckily it was tongue hooked and I snipped the wire as close as I could whilst Ross, me best mate, held it's flippers for me. At one stage it locked onto me pliers and I thought how lucky I was that it wasn't me hand :-)

Ross was fishing uptide at the bow and had taken 3 Wobbies over the previous hour on live grinner bait. Whether it was the bait or his fishing up from the bow I don't know, but it seemed strange that he caught wobbies and we didn't? I had also caught 3 blind sharks in succession, about 5 kilo each, that went into the esky (there seems to be a lot of 'em around lately) and the guts into the berley.......at least we had a feed now.

A couple of more big stingies and a "video shoot" resulted in a tear in me trousers and me thinking how lucky I was to be wearing 'em.

Just as we decided to call it a day, the float finally went off and a hammerhead of 6 kilos was put on video and released.

First time I've ever missed getting a big shovelly at this spot but we'd had a fantastic day's sport.

Unfortunately, I had forgotten the digital camera but we had a laugh at my son later that evening, on video, struggling with the fish. He is left handed and all my reels are right hand overheads so that added to the humour :-)

We returned to Manly and a word of warning here. There were 3 blokes aged about 18 to 20 watching the trailering. I noticed that on each occasion they would walk to the rigging area and engage each boatie in conversation. I thought nothing of one of the blokes asking Ross and I, had we had any luck (whilst I was at the front of the boat) till my son told me later that he had caught one of the other two blokes at the back of the boat with one of my rods in his hand. He had asked them what they were doing and one had replied, "I'm just looking at your reel as I am thinking of buying one". My son repled, "a Shimano?" and the bloke said, "yes"...........It was bloody Ambassadeur he had in his hand!........dead suss if you ask me....beware.

cheers

kev

SeaHunt
20-07-2004, 06:21 AM
Good story (or two) Kev. ::)
About the guy touching your rod, thats more than sus. >:(
Would you do that with someone else's gear while they wern't watching. ?
I would have had my filleting knife out, noone I don't know touches my stuff, not the boat , trailer, nothing. [smiley=angryfire.gif]

Commodore
20-07-2004, 06:50 AM
Hey Kev,
Had a similar experience with a couple of lads at Manly ramp earlier this year. We were launching about 7pm and these 2 guys where sitting in a car next to ramp ???, casually walking around trailers, chatting to who ever ::)...we left and as I thought about it, when we got to second leads, turned back to see what was going on as everyone had left the ramp.
Sure enough they looking at my trailer >:(and as they saw us approach the ramp..gone...got a partial rego and passed onto police, haven’t seen them since..maybe the same crew that said hello to you.
I’m with seahunt...don’t mind a chat but you touch you bleed...
Cheers,
Matt

bidkev
20-07-2004, 07:31 AM
Good story (or two) Kev. #::)
About the guy touching your rod, thats more than sus. # >:(
Would you do that with someone else's gear while they wern't watching. #?
I would have had my filleting knife out, noone I don't know touches my stuff, not the boat , trailer, nothing. #[smiley=angryfire.gif]

I wouldn't touch anyone's gear even if they *were* looking. Fishing gear is almost as sacred as the mags in my bedside locker ;-) Those kids will get their come uppance, sooner rather than later, with any luck.

cheers

kev

bidkev
20-07-2004, 07:40 AM
Yeah Matt,

The trouble is, if they are the same lads and they're still at it, then that must mean they've had considerable success without consequence. I'd recognise 'em again, but unless you actually catch 'em making off with the gear, the police wouldn't lift a finger against 'em. Too much of it nowadays, and too little a consequence if they're nabbed.......give 'em a flogging yourself and you're up shit creek without a paddle :-(.......unless of course, "they put up considerable resistance yer 'onour" ;-)

cheers

kev

DaneCross
20-07-2004, 07:40 AM
Gday Kev,
Was good to see Kingtin on the water - thats one big tinny. I had JB and brad_watts on board 'Wheeln' em in'. Nice day but we didn't have any real luck in the fish department. We fished the Bulwer drop off and scored squire, parrot, sweetlip, pike and flathead - all undersize :-/ using pillies, mac tuna and soft plastics. JB had good results using Berkley dropshots.
That un-forcasted northerly that picked up in the arvo made the trip home a little uncomfortable. Trying to out run the storm that was coming across the bay didn't help the arse though ::)
Was a good day, no love from the fish but got the oppotunity to give the new sounder a run and was very impressed [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]
I remember seeing those guys at the ramp. They didn't come and chat to us though - lucky, because JB would've blown up if he caught anyone touching his gear :-X

Cheers,
Dane

Pic - me and a squire

DaneCross
20-07-2004, 07:41 AM
JBs parrot on plastic

DaneCross
20-07-2004, 07:42 AM
The storm...

Maria
20-07-2004, 07:58 AM
Jeeeeesus....what happened to the parrot on the way up? [smiley=anxious.gif]

Good to see you got out on the water guys....not so good to hear about the mo-fo's at the ramp. Simple plan - they touch your shit, they get a flog up.

Ben

CHRIS_aka_GWH
20-07-2004, 10:27 AM
Jeeeeesus....what happened to the parrot on the way up? #[smiley=anxious.gif]

mackmauler's advanced photo tip 10B - the addition of claret

mackmauler
20-07-2004, 11:06 AM
top pic of that storm. and chris, good to see someone takes my advice ;D getting there dano ;D

JB
20-07-2004, 11:16 AM
Having your gear stolen is the worst feeling, i hate knowing that after my hard work to save for a top quality reel, some mongrel has stolen it and got away with it. Scum of the earth these ppl. I will be like a hawk at ramps in future and my mackerel donger will be ready for the first person to lay a finger on my gear ;)

Nice post kingtin, good to meet you.
JB

CHRIS_aka_GWH
20-07-2004, 12:03 PM
RE: THE STORM
that storm looked like it gave point lookout a show from my position on south straddie.

RE: ROB'S PIC
we are not worthy master

peterbo3
20-07-2004, 12:39 PM
The Slaughterhouse again. ;) ;) :o :o :-X :-X

Maria
20-07-2004, 01:42 PM
Ahhhh tops pics...nothing like spurtin' blood to kick long lost hunter/gatherer instincts in the guts. [smiley=rifle.gif]

mackmauler
20-07-2004, 01:55 PM
ahahahaha Pete, you look like your next after the dolphinfish ;D ;D ;D

jaybee
20-07-2004, 03:01 PM
R these two holding the live bait for the above fish Rob ???
cheers
Joe

blaze
20-07-2004, 03:37 PM
come on u fellows, for the faint hearted people out there, the blood needs to be washed away and makeup applied before pics, they gota look pretty before the fillet knive.
grinin my ar** off
cheers
blaze

bakes
20-07-2004, 03:52 PM
good stuff guys nice pics there sounds like yous all had an awsome weekend hope someone gets those little prics lookin a bit suss at the boat ramp just lucky they didnt get away with any of ya gear kingtin
cheers bakes 8)

bidkev
21-07-2004, 08:49 AM
Gday Kev,
Was good to see Kingtin on the water - thats one big tinny.
<snip>

Yeah, nice to meet you Dane. I didn't recognise you till I saw the Ausfish sticker on the back of your boat as you went up the road........must get meself one as soon as I get round to some time to myself. My son goes back wednesday so I'll get back into a routine then (hopefully).

As for the tinny. Had my doubts about her "roughing it" when I bought her (being 20 ft and only having a 70 on her) but she's come through some shit and outran that storm on Saturday. Some guys at Manly said that we'd just missed a heap of hail so we left at the right time........too soon and you run into it......too late and it comes out to find you......Beautiful sight though watching her dump on others :-)

Sorry to hear your catch was on the small side but that seems the way it's been in the bay (generally) for a while now.
As I said at the ramp, anytime you want an almost guaranteed tussle with something on the big side, a particular spot at Chain Bank can produce some huge shovellies, rays and shark at any time of the year and we've never missed out yet no matter what the tide, conditions or moon phase. I'm just lucky that my deckie will eat practically anything that comes out of the water :-) The trouble is, that once a spots produced something that the kids think is great, I don't get much of a chance to seek pastures new, they just want something big on the end of the line and they push me to keep returning to where they've produced before.

Nice seeying ya

cheers

kev

bidkev
21-07-2004, 12:23 PM
Having your gear stolen is the worst feeling, i hate knowing that after my hard work to save for a top quality reel, some mongrel has stolen it and got away with it. Scum of the earth these ppl. I will be like a hawk at ramps in future and my mackerel donger will be ready for the first person to lay a finger on my gear #;)

Nice post kingtin, good to meet you.
JB

Thanks JB. It's good to meet other mebers and put a face to a name.......now you know what an ugly mongrel I am :-)

Sorry to hear about the reel.....nicked from home or off your boat?

cheers

kev