PDA

View Full Version : The Eagle has landed, or tried to pinch a bream

dnej
23-07-2004, 11:33 AM
My brother is on holidays down at Burleigh, and is a keen surf fisherman. He fishes off the rocks at his special spot, for large whiting and bream.

Two days ago, he had caught a good feed of whiting, and was able to actually see the bream in the water. He gave the bream a go ,and hooked onto quite a large one.

As he was reeling the Alvey in, a bloody big eagle swooped over his shoulder,frightened the daylight out of him, and grabbed the bream out of the water.
The fight was on, with the eagle trying to fly away from Stephan, out to sea, and Stephan trying to land the fish.

The eagle must have thought he had a whopper, as he ditched on several occasions,as the fish was pulled in.

Eventually ,the bird let go of his catch, as he was getting close to Stephan, and the large bream was bought over the rocks, complete with large tallon marks. Stephan said it was a very interesting fishing exercise.

Apparently the bird sits up on a high rise building, waiting for his opportunity to strike.

Can you imagine this on funest home video
David

Hutcho
23-07-2004, 12:45 PM
I can imagine the bream probably wasn't in the best of shape once the ordeal was over. Lucky the bird didn't turn on him!

Cheers,
Hutcho

DaneCross
23-07-2004, 02:43 PM
lol, great story ;D I can imagine it, would've been funny to watch :D

Cheech
23-07-2004, 06:17 PM
On a much lower scale,, about 3 months ago I cast out and a sea bird swooped in and grabbed my bait before it sank, but when it tried to fly off, the line wrapped around it's neck. So I slowly reeled it in, got it in the boat and spent the next 5 minutes trying to untie the knot. Lucky they don't have sharp beaks.

where_is_dave
24-07-2004, 06:42 AM
I was fishing at Wivenhoe a with a mate awhile back his line went off, thought it was a monster after what seemed like eternity a cormorant looking thing surfaced going beserk. He must have dived from a fair distance coz we didn't notice him b4 hand. When we realised what had happened we gently reeled him in the hook was a long way down his gullet so we snipped the line and took him to a vet - not sure how he fared after that.

kingmad
27-07-2004, 11:36 AM
We have a major problem in Sydney while live baiting around the traps for dolphin fish. You can't cast from the buggers >:(
We had to set up dummy casts with unweighted pillies. They all chase the pillies on one side and we cast the yakkas on the other. The baits are right once they sink a little but if the birds are close they grab them as soon as they hit the water.