PDA

View Full Version : Gold Coast inshore cobia

blue_rogue
27-07-2004, 06:19 AM
With a cloudy and slightly drizzly start to saturday morning and wind dying dramatically from the days prior, it was time to get amongst it. We ventured out to the 18 fathom reefs,of the Gold Coast Seaway before sun up with still a slight wind which soon dropped off as the sun was starting to rise. There was very little swell and once the wind dropped the day was looking beautifull. Started off looking for snapper but they were few and far between, only had some undersize squire and thousands of tailor come up the berly trail. By this time we were getting very impatient because we couldn't get any livebait and the tailor were becoming thick, so it was time to move to the cobia grounds. It wasn't until around ten o'clock #that the fish started to chew, continually pulled up large mack tuna. We still had pillies out the back in the burley trail, then all of a sudden a massive run half way down was smashed and after a short fight and the tell tale rising wide of the boat we knew we had our first cobia. It went around 15kilos. Then in quick succession we managed to hook a several mack tuna, then finally another cobia which fought twice as good as the first but quite smaller. As we had plenty of fish we tagged the last one so we could catch some other day. The day had turned out beautifully and the fishing was pretty good as well. Good to get some cobia.

Out there in numbers so get amongst them.

All the best

blue_rogue
27-07-2004, 06:20 AM
Leigh holding the second cobia and after it was tagged then released

blue_rogue
27-07-2004, 06:21 AM
Colorado (Leigh) holding the tagged cobia

C@RLO5
27-07-2004, 06:36 AM
nice cobia mate they would have to be one of my very favourite fish, my biggest was around 45 kilos, i just dont know how to fit the pic on here thats all, everyone i've ever caught fought like 3 times harder than other fish of the same weight, and plus they are soooo good to eat. Was fishing off the gold coast a few weeks ago and got like 7 dolphin fish which are also very tasty indeed. Well done mate,
Carlos

Dr_Dan
27-07-2004, 06:40 AM
Nice fish mate. Yet to catch a cobe, hopefully one day soon!

Dan

blue_rogue
27-07-2004, 06:52 AM
one caught the weekend before, it went over 20 kilos

blue_rogue
27-07-2004, 06:52 AM
same fish

Colorado
27-07-2004, 11:40 AM
Blue Rogue, I have to give you some lessons on how to take photo's.

That Cobia was a better fish than it looks in the photo's. I think it looks small because I am so huge.

JB
27-07-2004, 11:44 AM
roflmao @ Leigh...

blue_rogue
27-07-2004, 12:02 PM
Roflmao aswell at POS (Leigh/Colorado) POS = Piece of Shit.

You wouldn't be happy in Heaven you whinging bastard. Nothing ever good enough for bloody POS.....

Wake up and give youself an uppercut, and stop talking rubbish all the time.

Your not big, you never have been and you've got nothing, so do us all a favour and shut up.......

Colorado
27-07-2004, 12:31 PM
Dom, put the gloves on buddy.

If I have nothing can you at least give me back the photo of you holding my 2 Snapper I caught last year. I think it is the same one as the photo in your avatar. You should have a decent photo of your own to put in there by now or does Pat catch all the fish when you go out.

By the way you got your 15kg? Cobia on what, 30lb braid and I got mine on 12lb on a 4500 baitrunner. Which is the better fish?

blue_rogue
27-07-2004, 12:36 PM
Don't burr up big fella,

You just have a little attitude problem at the moment, We can all help you get through this little problem. Now be a nice boy...

jeffo
27-07-2004, 12:39 PM
righto lads.. don' the boxing gloves ;D
i heard rumours that colorado tagged a stripey yesterday (sunday).. true or false?
we fished off the cape yeserday and tagged a blue around 130kg (my first blue ;D). there was plenty of striped tuna, bait and birds but not alot else to be seen ???
nice cobes as well.

Colorado
27-07-2004, 01:05 PM
Jeffo, Yes we did my first Stripey as well.

No tuna, no bait, no birds. Hope it moves south this way so we can get into some more next weekend.

vertico
27-07-2004, 02:07 PM
niec fish they are great on the chew as well

Cloud_9
27-07-2004, 02:44 PM
where's the cobia grounds???
fish there off the gold coats all the time but never caught a cobia yet, had em sniff the bait when chaseing mackeral.

Cheers Cloud 9

Sean
28-07-2004, 01:58 AM
what techniques to catch cobia? surface on the bottom? livies pillies? etc. thanks sean :)

blue_rogue
28-07-2004, 06:25 AM
Hey boys,

Cloud 9
Mate i worded the post incorrectly, There are no grounds other then the ones the bait scoals are on. Im sure that if you can catch bait of the Gold Coast you can get your self a Cobia. The are around all the bait reefs, and any structure that is holding bait. But like all good authors would must quote your source of reference. Colorado was a big help to myself in the cobia department, and have swarn to secrecty on the locations. Just remember bait scoals are the go.

Sean
Mate live Slimies are the premium bait, big 10/0 hooks in your bait under a bollon in mid water. But they have taken all types of baits, from floating pillies to flesh baits

All the best boys

TOLGA
28-07-2004, 12:58 PM
Hey POS i would apreciate you not catching all my fish on my marks ;)

Fletch
28-07-2004, 02:08 PM
Tolga, I would appreciate it if you would give me those marks! :) :)

Cloud_9
28-07-2004, 04:21 PM
ok got the gist of the info .
have to give it a go.
thanks

Cheers Cloud 9

Colorado
29-07-2004, 04:55 AM
Tolga get your hand off it mate. You know the truth.

SteveCan
29-07-2004, 04:02 PM
Cloud_9

Check out Heath's website - I have used his cobe rigging techniques with good success!

Cheers
Steve

Cloud_9
30-07-2004, 01:47 AM
and where is that???

30-07-2004, 09:29 AM
http://www.users.bigpond.com/heathntracy/

Here is Heath's webbie mate.