PDA

View Full Version : 2 days in the passage

Jeremy
03-08-2004, 04:16 AM
Went up to Pumicestone Passage again Friday arvo. Got my bait and out to the spot. Was pretty quiet until there was a bit of run in the tide and the moon was well up. Had several runs on live mullet - at least two I am 99% certain were jew. Gave them plenty of time to run with the bait, but the hooks didn't set. Baits came back with just small cuts and puncture marks on them and scaled at the head half. Was using 3 and 4 kg line this time so I can't strike as hard but don't think that is the issue. Did catch a 5.3 kg whaler shark (released) on 3 kg line which was fun.

Overnighted in Bell's Ck and back out at 4 am, but only had a couple of runs, neither of which I think were jew. Quiet day up the passage having a snooze and throwing some lures for flathead without much success - only one tiny flathead. Back on the spot by 4 pm again, but this time the only action was from pike eels - two of the buggers.

Enough interest to keep me coming back though.

Jeremy

caloundra
03-08-2004, 07:23 AM
jeremy
the perfect weather for a weekend fishing.
i fished the passage on saturday morning it was very quite only caught 1 keeper a 30 cm bream the rest were little bait stealers. had 2 runs on the live herring only to catch sting rays

Daniel

Hutcho
03-08-2004, 07:42 AM
Guys,

I too fished the passage over the weekend, Sat arvo/early evening, and Sunday morning. tailor were about, and a few stud bream. Lions game was on the box at 7.30pm, so unfortunately had to come back in, but conditions were right for a good night. Sunday morning fished the mouth at turn of the tide....gees the water gets up therought there when she gets going. Just a coupla flatties Bar was flat, but it looked a little lumpy offshore. Then fished in a deep channel close to Bells and got a 50cm lizard on my first soft plastic cast. nice. a few big bream around. A mate of mine latched onto a huge moray eel that was rightly cut off at the boat, and somethign else that nearly snapped his 10'6" live fibre rod on 2.7kg line.....could have been a stingy, or a fiesty jew, but he was too lazy to stand up at first, so it took him under the boat and he got busted off, haha, idiot. A few blokes at the boat ramp had some nice flatties from up around Roy's and the Skids.

Gotta put a fair bit of effort into getting some good fish in the passage these days i reckon. Great if you get on, sux if you don't!

Cheers,
Hutcho

PS. Jeremy, when you overnighted at Bells, do you own one of those houseboats, or camped out in your own boat?

beefaman
03-08-2004, 08:17 AM
I fished the passage Saturday morning. Got a few flatties around the W's, and some nice bream along Roys....but it was fairly quiet compared to what it has been lately :-[

Jeremy
03-08-2004, 09:30 AM
Good to meet you Daniel. Didn't see anyone else - quite a few boats around. What boats were you in Hutcho and Beefaman?

Hutcho - no, I just throw the swag out in my tinny - bit tight but it works OK.

Jeremy

Hutcho
03-08-2004, 10:46 AM
Jeremy,

I scoot around in a 4.4m Stessl Striker (white) with a 40hp Yammie CV on the back. I've got an Ausfish sticker at the stern next to the motor. I did see a tinnie over the weekend where I couldn't see the bloke in it, it looked abondoned! But then the guy stuck his head up and sat down....might have been a Sea Jay? Deep tinnie. Was that you? Ausfish people need to fly a flag or something from their boat to let others know!!! 8)

By the way, where did you get the shark from and on what bait may I ask?

If I get a leave pass, I'll try and get up there again for a fish on Friday night.

hutcho

Jeremy
04-08-2004, 03:35 AM
I think you are talking about me there!! I was trying to get a bit of a snooze in the bottom of my boat around midday - up around the Northern end of the W's. A yellow 4.5 m CC. with ausfish stickers on either side of the bow.

The shark was caught on a live mullet in the main channel near the entrance to Halls Bay. You'll have to fight your way through the pike eels though!

I have a few other things on over the next few weeks now and may not be able to get back up there for 6 weeks or so.

Cheers,

Jeremy