PDA

View Full Version : Pinkenba sunken walls

Angha
12-08-2004, 03:32 AM
Went early this morning (11/08/04 @ 4 am)to try the sunken wall at Pinkenba ... walked to the end of the wall and tried using squid, chicken meat and wa pillies. It was very quite with only a tiny little bite.

Any of you guys fish around there? any helpful tips?

No fish but the highlight of the morning was releasing a bird that was trapped in a tree with both feet tangled in a line. The fresh air was welcoming and the walk from the tackle shop along the slanted walls was quite an experience.

flapdat
12-08-2004, 07:04 AM
I fished there where the oil pipeline is. Look out for lightness in the water (sandbanks) you might get a nice flathead. My freind caught a small bream and i caught a big flathead, we were both using fresh prawns from that bait shop. This was just after mid day. Fish it on the rising tide ;D

Cheech
12-08-2004, 02:57 PM
Angha,

This is much better, a clear thread. I have to admit that I was one of the posters on your original thread where you started off sounding like you had no idea and we were all concerned (in varying ways) about your safety. But we all looked to be overly harsh because your later posts were so much clearer,,, so now that I have cleared my own conciounce,,,,,

It does sound like you have taken on board some of the recent suggestions and are having a good go. That will always get you a long way on this site. Rightly so, those that are prepared to make an effort will get a lot of assistance (ie,,,me included).

as for results,,, I was having a bad run, but followed a few tips and advice from this site, and starting coming home with a feed. Every trip to bay locations and I came how the "great hunter" and fed the family.

But my last 4 trips have resulted in 1 keeper.

Am I concerned,, no. If you have been following this site, you would have noticed that people have been going far and wide, and still not getting any fish.

For the last 3 or so weeks, I think it has been a little odd. I do not know the reason, but I am happy to hang in there.

By the way, if you actually got a keeper, then you are one better off than me with no fish for the last nearly 18 hours on the water, in boat, with sounder, with marks, with the right fresh bait, with all the right theorys on best rigs, hooks, etc, etc.

You may be doing it already, but if not, follow other posts. A number of the things you have asked, have been covered very recently on other threads.

Sometimes you may get a response that is not always exactly like you expected. Sometimes it is a bit of frustration because Hyperthetical) someone may have just posted a report of catching fish in a location that is in your area, and even may have mentioned rigs or hooks, or bait, etc, and then someone starts a thread saying,,, I am going here, I am new,,,, can you give me any advice. So, what,, you didnt read what I just spent an hour typing out??

By the way, I have just given you an hour of my time as well. What can I say,, be persistent, be patient, read heaps, keep reading this site.

Cheech

Angha
12-08-2004, 05:31 PM
Thanks guys, I am going again and I will try something different and hopefulli I will have a good catch report.

Next time I will use the fresh prawn from the tackle shop.

Since today was a holiday, I thought the tackle shop would be open by 4 am. I was wrong they open @ 4am weekends and 6 am the rest of the week.

Cheech
13-08-2004, 06:03 PM
Bummer about them not being open. You can do all the right things, be in the right locations, but if you do not have something they want to eat, then they will not eat. Thus no fish.

If you use the squid from Pinkenba, I have found that they are usually quite small. As I go out in the bay, I am usually after medium size squid, but if you are fishing in areas like the wall, then these are probably just what you need.

What I would do is head out like you have before sun up, or alternatively around sunset depending if you are a morning person or an evening person (remember it also has to be enjoyable), use the fresh squid, but also have one or 2 alternate baits. I usually have squid and Mullet, but you just never know, pieces of WA pillie may be the go. I sometimes have a couple of pillies for berley and throw one of them out just for the hell of it.

Hook selection for there, and the fish, probably a 1/0 or 2/0, actually probably a 2/0 as you have the extra strength and you would be surprised what size fish you can catch on a hook that size. A good safe hook is Mustad suicide chemically sharpened.

Sinkers as everyone always says (because it is true) is as light as you can go in the current. If you are close to the shore then 00's, 0's, 1's. 2's should be in your kit. I was out fishing in 10 metres of water the other night with 00's and still getting snagged on the bottom. I sometimes fish with 000's and sometimes no weight if there is no current at all.

Line is an interesting topic and I really do not know what is best. I am fishing heavy at the moment on the bay with around 20lb. If I fish in estuary conditions then I use 6lb. But having said that, if you are fishing in a place like the rock wall where you need to drag a fish out of the snags, then you may need to go heavier for the grunt and sacrifice for less hookups. Did I read on one of your posts that you have heavy gear? if this is the case, then try getting some light leader and tie a couple of metres to the end of your main line for a leader. This should help the hookup rate as you have part of the benefit of fishing light based on the leader.

Don't get complicated with your rig. I don't even bother with swivels. If you are using small sinkers then just a sinker then a hook. Less knots, less knots that could give way. Or, use a standard running rig with a swivel. For pictures, try rex hunts internet site.

By the way, always burley unless ther is a raging current. Anything smelly, but not off. Estuary the easiest thing is just to go to a produce store and buy a 30kg bag of chicken pellets for $15.00 that will last forever, and just throw in a handful every 5 minutes so that they keep a trail, but do not get full up before taking your yummy fresh bait, and not too far apart to loose the trail.

Hope this all helps.

Cheech

Cheech
13-08-2004, 06:06 PM
by the way, if you do use prawns, try a few of them peeled. The shell comes straight off. Bream seem to like them that way when they are soft.