PDA

View Full Version : Where is a good fishing spot in northern nsw?

slade44
14-08-2004, 02:21 PM
hi guys.
help please.
i am new to this chat room.
i am going beach and rock fishing early in the morning along the coast from tweed heads heading south.
where is a good spot and what is biting at the moment?
thanks for any help. :)

Sean
15-08-2004, 03:27 AM
Don't know much about beach and rock fishing, but apparently there is a lot of GOOD tailor on most beaches from here (Ballina) up. Also a few salmon apparently. They seem to get quite a few good tailor, jew etc. from 7-mile beach at lennox head, in front of the surf club. also an apparently good spot off the rocks called the 'iron peg'. This is just North of ballina (off Skennards head)go and have a look at: Brownie's coastwatch. I think you can get archives of reports there. Also www.fishingmonthly.com.au good luck. :)

banshee
15-08-2004, 02:18 PM
Anyone contemplating fishing the "Iron Peg"should do so with extreme caution and only in the calmest of conditions.As the name implies,this spot is a rounded rock aprox two metres above the water,it has a truck axle driven into a crack in the rock and is cemented in place(if it's still there,I haven't fished here for over a decade),people tie themselves and their gear to the peg.Even in the calmest conditions water constantly wells into the hollow between this rock and the main rock shelf cutting off any path of retreat should the need arise.People have died here,two that I can think of off hand.If you must fish this spot,fish the main rock shelf for atleast an hour(relativly safe in the right conditions)and become familiar with the place,also take note of the code number on the way in,on the yellow triangle,in case you need to get help in a hurry.

slade44
18-08-2004, 10:10 AM
Thanks guys for replies.
As it was, it was too windy anyway.
Better luck next time.
Thanks again.
Slade44.