PDA

View Full Version : Hinchinbrook Sunday

Mad_Barry
31-08-2004, 12:26 PM
Still went up to Cardwell on Sunday, despite the M&G being held over.

Would have probably went to Fishers but the low, low in the arvo, we had doubts about getting back in around 4 or 5pm.

Weather was a bit erratic, blowing for a while then stopping. A good shower of rain around 9 & more storm clouds brewing didn't look promising, it cleared by about 10.

Had a good day though. What a difference a couple of mths makes, last trip up there we struggled (lucinda comp). Yesterday seemed like there was barra everywhere, not too many bigguns seen, most in the 40 to 50 size, a couple in the 60's. Still a little timid, plenty of follows out of the snags & half hearted swipes but still we caught a few & dropped a few.

We were mainly up the northen end, till the tide forced us out, then down around the middle of the channel. The .18m low was hard to find some good snags still in the water, but once found, it was like they were all there waiting for us #;D.

In the hr just before low we grabbed 4 barra, (& dropped heaps more, but still fun), numerous cod, including 1 biggun of 4 or 5kg, and a few jacks & trevally, off the one snag.

Some days it feels like you're the Statue, some days you're the pidgeon.

Al, the good producing place at low tide was where you dropped that one on the second day of the comp weekend.

Dr_Dan
31-08-2004, 04:29 PM
Can't complain about that! Sounds like you had a good trip. Barra only going to get better as the weather warms up more!

whiteman
01-09-2004, 07:26 AM
Dicko

I thought you'd retire after the Lucinda Comp!

Mad_Barry
01-09-2004, 07:53 AM
Dicko

I thought you'd retire after the Lucinda Comp!

Damn close to it mate, The golf clubs came out of the cupboard and I was about to fill up ebay with a heap of bargain priced boating and fishing gear #;D, but then I decided golf frustrates the hell out of me too, so was in a no-win situation #:o #:)

SNELLY
01-09-2004, 08:41 AM
Well done Dicko,

Did you see Robbo ? Wonerding how he went ?

Talked to mate who went down on Sunday and said the only barra they saw was in the marina when they came back - They said the weather was pretty ordinary and they didn't catch much only a couple of small queenies.

Anyway winners are grinners and it sounds like you had a good one

Looking forward to the October get together - should be getting even better by then

Snelly

Robbo_Townsville
01-09-2004, 05:42 PM
Hi fellas, well we could have used your help and a large portion of local knowledge over the weekend.

Simon and I put in at about 6:30 Sat and thought we would try around Gould Island and move to a spot we had got off the net which apparently houses some nice Mackerel. Not a nibble, we tried trolling around the surrounding headlands and rocky outcrops, Lowered dead baits of pillies, squid, strip baits all to no avail. We were both buggered from a late night before so headed back to the marina around 1230 with nothing to show.

Sunday was my maiden voyage in Missionary Bay, wow what a pretty place, left the camera in the car unfortunately but saw the biggest, brightest rainbow ever, where it touched down it looked like it was boiling the water, I am not a hippy, nor do I vote for the greens but this was spectacular. Anyway back to the fishing. We fished what I learned later on to be creek #2 for a while to pick a nice grunter. Got onto something big in the mouth of creek # 3 and played on 15lb mono on a stiff rod for about 15 - 20 minutes. Had to up anchor and chase around in circles but I got impatient and lost the bugger. Jeez no matter how much I told myself to be patient I just had to give that drag one more click. Picked up a few other fish not worth a mention.

Next time, it is off to creek #2 as the tide is dropping, find a nice gutter and flick those lures. Had a ball even if I could have caught more around my area of Townsville.

Would appreciate any local or experienced guys advice on the Missionary Bay area.

SNELLY
01-09-2004, 06:17 PM
Robbo,

Good to see you had fun - pitty you could get onto your MIL spot ey ?

October should be good for the channel and the bay - my thoughts at this stage would be a day in each.

Looks like Dicko is the man for the channel

Snelly

SNELLY
01-09-2004, 06:26 PM
Hey Robbo,

Have a look at the post about the 61cm MORWONG from the bay - Bet you wanna head to the bay at the other end of the state this weekend

Robbo_Townsville
01-09-2004, 06:42 PM
He He saw it Snelly, just cant wait to see the pic of that fine table fish, right up there with the Remora.LOL