PDA

View Full Version : TEMPEST SAT 11

no_worries
14-09-2004, 07:17 AM
Hi all,we had a trip to deep tempest sat and the weather was average to start the day but it improved to stunning for the remainder and the northeaster just started to puff up about 2.30 so we pulled the pin.
The fishing was amazing to start,we hit the top of the rock first up at 5.45 and the fish were just suicidal but the size was down from previous trips.
There wasn't a fish over 2.5kgs and we didn't want these throwbacks,if you wanted to catch unlimited there would have been no stopping it so we ventured to the deeper water around the rock and straight away were rewarded with a trio of 6kg plus snapper each and by the end of the day we had filled our bags with snapper all over 5gs with the best pulling the scales down to 8kgs.
I caught some lovely pearlies as well and the best just reached 4kgs,just a day made in heaven.
Searaider we have the radio on 94 for the club chatter so no wonder you didn't pick me up,cheers all no worries

no_worries
14-09-2004, 07:18 AM
Another one

no_worries
14-09-2004, 07:20 AM
And lastly

-spiro-
14-09-2004, 08:56 AM
Jezzz one of those snapper has a huge lump on its head. :o
Brilliant catch. Hope theres a couple more that size around. :o

PAT01
14-09-2004, 09:26 AM
Great fish there fellas. :)

Lovely big knobies. were you just drifting baits down a burley trail or did you throw down some livies as well

Cheers Patrick

Escapee
14-09-2004, 09:52 AM
No Worries

Great fish there. I'm not familiar with "the rock" at Deep tempest. Is it at the northern end?

Escapee

no_worries
14-09-2004, 11:45 AM
Hi escapee,the rock is the area of tempest to the south and as far east as it goes.
When you check the offshore fishing map it's the outer area to the south where the depth comes up to under 80 mts in places.
The name probably comes from the fact that it's basically one big rock with no sand patches at all and drops off sharply all round the edges.
The damn thing must have more lead on it than broken hill ,just from me alone over the years,cheers no worries

no_worries
14-09-2004, 11:47 AM
Hi patrick,no livies just pillies and cuttlefish heads saturday.
You don't need liveys for snapper in deep water but shallow is a different kettle of fish,cheers no worries

Dylan_Rylatt
14-09-2004, 12:39 PM
fuk me great fish

Hutcho
14-09-2004, 12:59 PM
That's why the call them "knobbies''......maybe a silly question but I've never eaten that part of them.....I wonder? Top catch anyhow.

Cheers,
Hutcho

mackmauler
14-09-2004, 01:04 PM
Nice fish noworries, good to see someone can catch them there. hutcho, its all bone with skin on it, youd want to be hungry LOL.

searaider
14-09-2004, 03:05 PM
no_worries ,
Gary you have dont it again , top fish . [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]
Was there much current , there was nack all at the Banks .
Poor old Snappa must be kicking himself , modifying his trailer with so many great Snapper about .
Did the PBA boys go out Saturday , & do they sit on 94 ?
Our little work fishing club was out Sat & they sit on 96 -27meg & 73 VHF .
Which do you normally use ?
I'll either talk to or catch up with you on the water one of these days .

Peter
Searaider 2

no_worries
14-09-2004, 03:37 PM
Hiya peter,the club were all out on saturday and i think they did alright from what i heard .
We all have the radios on 94,it is a club channel,with the trailer boat club on it as well.
Hutcho i have talked with ernie grant on the subject of the lump on the head of some old snapper and a strange fact came to light.
The only places snapper have humps are where there are coral reefs present,down south and at new zealand the snapper have none at all.
I have caught them with the skin actually broken and exposing the jewell bone underneath so they obviously use it to bash against objects and they are always a very deep red colour as well.
Most of the large snapper you catch that have no hump are a light colour and i suspect they have come in from very deep water as they catch snapper out 150 kms from the coast on the longlines at times.
There is so much we don't understand about them,all i know is they are a sucker for a floater with a pillie on it.
Another piece of trivia one of the snapper had a three gang 6/0 sticking out of his gob that couldn't have been more than a couple of days old yet he hammered the bait like there was no tomorrow,cheers all no worries