PDA

View Full Version : 1770/pancake

MICHAELG
14-09-2004, 03:07 PM
owdy all

Mate (fishbone) and I are back from another great trip up there. I never get sick of the place, just never want to leave.
Got up there 2am Friday, swags out at the SES ground for a few hrs shut eye.
Called in to see Tony (thanks for the advice) for some bait and the goss on what where. Boat in water and out to the bait grounds to load up on livies. weather wasn't the best as we headed for Bustad. Had a few attempted drops but just to difficult with the wind ,swell & current goin 3 different directions. Headed into Pancake for our camp that night.

(NOW for my bitch) >:(I have stayed a few times before, but the amount of broken glass and crap there now is a complete disgrace. If they close that creek to camping I would not be surprised.
Back to the fishing. Headed out at 6am into still shitty conditions. Fishing was very tuff all day but managed a few good red throats & sweetlips, parrots & hussar. Bloody grinners were in plagues
Stayed at 1770 Saturday night and woke to a beaut day, no wind or swell. headed to all points on compass and did we get some fish- AJ's, cods, red empor, trevally(various), stripies, hussar, nannygai, jobfish, parrot and a few I got no idea
I caught Codzilla(my best yet), thank god the other thing also hooked at the same time, broke off or I was goin swimmin :o.
Caught 2 AJ's, 1st was on my floater(livey)- Penn 850 spin/live fibre nicely loaded, few minutes later into the esky(tried to release but no good). The 2nd hit my bottom basher
( Penn international /live fibre)like a train , what fun.
Trevor’s really gave us some good exercise.
Dennis got hit by a couple of things, never even had a chance, 1min reel screamin, next nothin but broken 80lb braid.
Cant wait til I go back, last w’end of October has been tagged

Pics to come hopefully tomorrow
Michael

Cloud_9
14-09-2004, 04:10 PM
ill be back there xmas time for quick fishing trip on my way up the coast to parts further north. my last trip saw 30kn + winds for the hole 10 days i was there.
you get that.
cant wait to see the fish pics.

Cheers cloud 9

mackmauler
14-09-2004, 04:23 PM
Gday Michael, sounds like the plan came together and you got some nice ones, how far up the creek did you camp? the mouth area was pretty clean last time for us, very busy up further. no excuse for morons leaving bottles around [smiley=behead.gif]
keen to have another fish up there myself, did you fish as wide as the reef?
Rob

Fishbone
15-09-2004, 03:58 AM
Must agree with Gibbo - the camp site we slept at in Pancake, up near the boat anchorage was a mess - whoever camped there last thought that by putting all their rubbish in the fire it somehow disappeared. I suspect a different group thought that if you break every stubbie and scatter them all over the ground they somehow act like mulch and break down over time.

CQ_Fisher
15-09-2004, 08:47 AM
Michael,

Glad to hear you had a good trip. I look forward to seeing some of your pics. Very disapointing when you go to such a nice place to see shit laying around the campsites, it does not take much effort to clean up after yourself, Rob is correct, there is "no excuse". That is why i must point out the hypocrisy in your post, Rob. I do not mean this as a personal attack, nor do i mean you any disrespect, but i must point this out. Do you recall in your post after you returned from Pancake a few months ago, I pointed out my disapointment that the campfire in one of your pics was riddled with beer cans and rubbish. You then replied to me telling me where it was and if i had that big of a problem with it then i could go and clean it up myself (or words to that effect). Let me stress the fact that i do not want this post to get sidetracked away from Michael's Pancake report, but i simply had to voice my opinion on this particular subject. Rob, I believe you are a skilled fisherman and i thoroughly enjoy reading your posts, but when it comes to leaving rubbish behind after camping there is simply "no excuse". OK, i have now stepped off of my soapbox.

Bring on the pics MichaelG.

Cheers
JD

JB
15-09-2004, 09:02 AM
hahaha now now boys, play nice :P

This pancake cr sounds like a top place, will have to visit it myself one day soon. When do we get to see some photos!! ;D

Zeeke
15-09-2004, 09:05 AM
Well, i can say im very eco minded, i pick up ALOT of rubbish when im out fishing my local creeks and rivers and that extends to when i go on camping trips... on Robs last trip to pancake (4 weeks ago) i was with him and we all took plastic bags up, when something was used, it was promptly put into a bag for disposal at a bin once we returned to town.. when we left the camp site, it was exactly the same as how we left.. our camp site did have rubbish and broken glass.. but, even that we picked up.. when we left, we had more rubbish onboard then we got there with.. Robs burning cans was a poor mistake, but one he has learnt and is now cleaning up his act.. and now cleaning up others mistakes aswell.. i reckon Rob diserves a 2nd chance..

Tim

ba229
15-09-2004, 09:10 AM
lmao should we start a poll on the second chance issue? ;D

I am all for a clean camp site before and after a trip

agnes_jack
15-09-2004, 09:57 AM
Gday Fellas
Sounds like you got some good action on the Sunday, and what a beautiful day it was! At least you got one good day in Michael, better than your last couple of trips!
Looking forward to seeing the photo's.
Hoping for a day out on about thursday myself, (weather permiting)
Did you manage any trout?

Good to see ya's had a good trip :D

Regards, Tony ;)

mackmauler
15-09-2004, 10:08 AM
CQ,

You say this. #Do you recall in your post after you returned from Pancake a few months ago, I pointed out my disapointment that the campfire in one of your pics was riddled with beer cans and rubbish. #You then replied to me telling me where it was and if i had that big of a problem with it then i could go and clean it up myself (or words to that effect).

(your words)
I don't want to put a downer on the post, but very disapointing to see all the tins and shit that had been tossed into the fire. #I sincerely hope that rubbish was taken with you when you left.

(my words)
CQ, you better get up there, a nice pile of rubbish for you to collect ;)

...........a few cans that turned to ash was no big deal compared to the rubbish we are talking about, I did wink in that post, it was a lighthearted reply.the unfortunate fact is there really is a big pile of rubbish for you to collect, NO not mine...you might need a barge to take it with you though....

Rob

Lucky_Phill
15-09-2004, 12:59 PM
apart from that, where's the bloody pic's Michael /

Phill ;D

CQ_Fisher
15-09-2004, 01:27 PM
Rob,

apologies, i have taken your reply out of context. Camping rubbish is a pet peave of mine and it doesnt take much for me to start ranting and raving on the topic. Still dont agree with cans in the fire. Now lets all look at the pretty pictures.......

Cheers
JD

MICHAELG
15-09-2004, 03:52 PM
her we go

MICHAELG
15-09-2004, 04:57 PM

MICHAELG
15-09-2004, 05:01 PM

MICHAELG
15-09-2004, 05:02 PM

MICHAELG
15-09-2004, 05:04 PM

MICHAELG
15-09-2004, 05:05 PM

MICHAELG
15-09-2004, 05:06 PM
esky starting to look good for once

MICHAELG
15-09-2004, 05:07 PM
some of the catch

MICHAELG
15-09-2004, 05:09 PM
Dennis finally got his red fish

MICHAELG
15-09-2004, 05:11 PM
home bound

still have a few more but you cant even see them (so small)-will keep trying. picture qual a bit shitty, sorry

Tony
Finally a good day a few prev trips, no trout maybe next time

Michael (the novice)

Fishbone
15-09-2004, 05:23 PM
All I really wanted to catch was one legal Red and the only one I landed was 10 Cm short!

Still it was a great trip, Friday was a shocker with wind a swell so bad we couldn't fish outside and it was a pretty quite camp at Pancake that night, Saturday was a bit better but it was a hard fishing day - Sunday, however, was magic - Well worth the trip.

I must thank Tony alias Agnes_Jack - we stopped in on Friday and picked up bait and some local advice - all of which turned out excellent, I recommend a visit to his shop for anyone visiting 1770 or Agnes Water.

Lucky_Phill
15-09-2004, 05:24 PM
OK the pics are in.

Lots of pink to red colour there. even the cods look good.

Weather went well. Those Trevors pull OK !\

Ya never Know Michael. you may see me ReBaiting around there very soon.

Cheers Phill

MICHAELG
15-09-2004, 05:42 PM
Phil

Im sure Rebait would luv to roam around up there.

Rob
We didnt get right to the reef but were damn close. Not much suface activity happening, so the slug fest was on hold. The livies won hands down

Forgot to mention the bloody biggest leather jackets i have ever seen ,geez they can fight.

As I said earlier I have tagged the last w'end of October (was goint to Wooli but 1770 beckons)for a nother trip- anybody interested?

Michael

Hookem_Herby
16-09-2004, 09:02 AM
Hi Michael,
well done on a nice catch and what sounded like a top w.e.!!!
I've been invited out on a 38ft cruiser that belongs to a mate who currently has it moored up in 1770 for the next month. I'll take you up on your advice to see Tony at the AW tackleshop! [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]
Tony - you are hereby on notice. I'll be seeing you on election w.e. mate :o ;)
On the assumption that this place is half as fishy and beautiful as it looks and promises to be, I'd be interested in towing my rig up to Pancake Ck with you on your next trip up there. What's the access like and how are the launching facilities around there?

Cheers,
Herby

seafox
16-09-2004, 11:12 AM
Michael good to see you had a good trip some good fish there those bloody big leather jackets are called trigger fish and yes they take some pulling up they lay on there sides and pound there head up and down good exercise though [smiley=laola.gif] [smiley=laola.gif] [smiley=laola.gif] [smiley=laola.gif] [smiley=laola.gif] [smiley=laola.gif] [smiley=laola.gif]

Cheers
Jeff

agnes_jack
17-09-2004, 12:26 PM
Excelent job fellas!
I'm stoked that you had a good trip, shame no trout though. Next time I'll have to come with you. Got out this morning myself, Wasn't the best day we've had for a while. Only got one trout about 6-7 kg. :'( Managed a reasonable red, bagged out on hussar, a few grassies, parrot, and a few schoolies etc. A nice day out there though :D Had a big tiger buzzing round the boat for a while :o

See yaz next visit!
Herby!
No worries mate just give me a yell anytime!

Regards, Tony

craigie
17-09-2004, 01:13 PM
Michael,

Nice pics mate, good to see you got stuck into a few quality fish.
I too will be up at 1770 for the last week/weekend of October, would be fantastic if we all met up :D

Tony,

Good mixed catch of yours too mate, and a few Macks as well,
Our trip can't come soon enough 8)

Cheers
Craig.