PDA

View Full Version : Noosa River whiting

freddyfish
24-10-2005, 05:20 PM
Had a great week fishing at Noosa in the river. #Caught plenty of whiting .. nothing huge but lots of fun .

We fished the last hour of the run out for about 3 hrs. using beach worms on the banks across from Gympie Terrace. #

Cheers
Brad.

freddyfish
24-10-2005, 05:28 PM
another one

chemmy
24-10-2005, 05:34 PM
nice how many did you catch

philip_thomson
24-10-2005, 05:39 PM
good stuff mate. they are some nice whiting there.

freddyfish
24-10-2005, 05:44 PM
We were keeping about 10 to 12 good sized fish per session. My wife's parents are visiting from Canada and we were eating fresh bbq whiting every day... small but sweet.

Tried throwing a few slugs around the mouth for a tailor or two but didn't have any luck.

Maybe next time.

Brad.

hot_stuff
24-10-2005, 08:51 PM
good stuff fun on light gear 8-) 8-) 8-)

Seamus
24-10-2005, 09:03 PM
Hey Brad,

That's good to read - heading up there for a week in a couple of weeks time and was wanting to get the boys (and better half) busy with rods. :)

Did you try up towards the lakes at all?

Seamus

DICER
25-10-2005, 01:34 AM
nice fish - I bet they tasted good.... :D

freddyfish
25-10-2005, 05:30 AM
We also had some luck across from the yacht club but most were just undersized.

Also spent a morning fishing all the way up to the North Shore ferry but got very little. At the boatramp and carpark just before you get into Tewantin there's a shop that sells excellent beachworms. Good value and really fresh. ( in the complex with restaurants etc. )

Talked to a couple of old guys targeting Lizards and they said they had been getting a few good ones at the mouth of the lake.

We found the best bank across from T boat hire and fished right on the shallow dropoff.

Good luck
Brad.

Louis
25-10-2005, 09:29 AM
Some nice whiting.

Well done to you and your boys.

Louis

MIKOS
25-10-2005, 10:20 AM
A good catch of whiting there Blufish,
Good little fighters on light gear. ;D
What sort of gear did you use to catch them? :)

MIKOS

freddyfish
25-10-2005, 11:14 AM
Mikos,

6lb fireline on 6'6" strudwick sic stick

I've got a pflueger reel and the rest have shimano slade 2500 reels

18" mono leader , light sinker , mustad ex long shank size6 hooks and also had great success with Gamakatsu worm hooks size 1

I'm sure any light gear would do the job. We were actually casting into about 4" of water and reeling onto the ledge and into the deeper water. The bigger whiting take a small bite ,a bit of a jiggle then swallow the lot. Really good fun.

Seems funny writing about whiting when most of the guys and girls here are catching bloody great reef fish but shows you the thrill of fishing for anything and support no matter what you pull in.

Thanks again
Brad

Wyoming
25-10-2005, 04:23 PM
Hey Blufish- nothing funny about writing about your catch! These are probably far nicer to eat than those 'orrible big snapper, pearlies, cod and flatties caught by the likes of Aquarius and Foggy! The whiting are great to catch, especially with kids, and they are the sweetest to eat when fresh.

Actually, I was wandering around the boat ramp there after lunch on Sunday and watching the awfull displays of some guys retreiving there boats. I know its a sh1tty ramp on Gympie, but there just seemed to be many people with no idea at all of how to reverse a trailer. 'scuse me for bitching.

Good fishing.
Neil