PDA

View Full Version : jack in coomera

Screaming_Eagle
27-10-2005, 02:03 PM
threw some hardbodies (rattlers) around upper part of coomera yesterday evening. nice and stormy. got 1 about 50cm. was in my kayak so was lucky he headed out of his hidey-hole and kept going out. he went back for someone else to catch (probably flickflack... ::))

cuzzamundi
27-10-2005, 03:10 PM
mate fantastic work!! i bet he went hard being in a canoe! what sorta snag was he in? great work mate, and good onya for letting him go!!
cheers,

cuzza

Screaming_Eagle
27-10-2005, 03:13 PM
got him from under the walkway near the M1 bridge. thankfully he went (and dragged me out) to open water. could have went into the bridge pylons or back under the walkway. had 20pd braid and 60 pd leader, but wouldn't have mattered as I have no leverage in kayak - a bit like sitting on an esky lid... ::)

cuzzamundi
27-10-2005, 03:15 PM
lol, yeah i can imagine. just as well he went for the open! well done on the great effort! also, what sorta retrieve do you use for the hardbosies?

cheers,

cuzza

hot_stuff
27-10-2005, 03:18 PM
got a photo mate? great fish from out of a kayak would have been a bit of fun.

Benno
27-10-2005, 03:34 PM
Excellent stuff mate well done.. Yep no fish can resist the Flak!!!

power_shad
27-10-2005, 03:43 PM
Awesome. Congrats - great fish.
50cm jack in a kayak - good start to a poem I reckon.
Thinking it's time to start stepping up my efforts for jack in the Coomera, no luck yet but I know it's coming. Want to nail something other than a flathead on plastics down there..... a jack would do the trick! :)

masterdusky
27-10-2005, 03:45 PM
eagle...dou put ur kayak in up near the m! bridge/boat ramp...?? Also if I were to put my kayak in there how far to go before I get to good flathead/bream grounds minus all the traffic.. LOL ??

flickflack
27-10-2005, 04:32 PM
Congrats there mate, Top effort in the canoe. Always good to hear about them being caught and then released
Which bridge did you say ::)

jackash
27-10-2005, 06:10 PM
Great fish mate... think i'm genna have to hit up the Coomerra this christmas.
Cheers
JAckash

Jeremy87
28-10-2005, 07:50 AM
Might aswell ask you what lure and colour you caught it on. Just out of interest ;)

Screaming_Eagle
28-10-2005, 08:31 AM
masterdusky - i put in downstream of the bridge. #can't remember street name but it runs parralel to the river. #i think you could put in right under the bridge (north side). have a look at refidex and you should be able to find a spot. #haven't fished for bream/flathead there.

jeremy87 - used a $3 prince rattler in orange/gold. #I think producer do an identical lure for about the same price. #I reckon they are the ducks nuts for jacks, and I have an assortment of expensive rattlers that sit in the box. #really stong rattle (can feel it through the bottom of the kayak). #you have to upgrade the splits and trebles though.

cuzza - with rattlers, hard rips back to boat. #let lure sink and then lift hard and fast to get the lure really screamin. #works for the eagle... #you'll be surprised how many jacks will come a long way from their cover to hit a rattler.

no photo. tried taking a solo photo from kayak last year with a flathead, which ended up with a wet camera... #It's okay when you have someone else to take the shot while you sit and hold the fish. #

gogecko
28-10-2005, 12:57 PM
Well done mate, 50cms is very encouraging, as Ive been under that bridge a few times for no result. I also like the orange and gold rattlers.
What time of day/tide? Ive tried dusk and dawn and late night. Its pretty shallow near the footbridge, so it must have been high tide?

MidgieFood
29-10-2005, 05:06 PM
Great effort.
Only been jack fishing for two years now with a grand total of 3 (4 if you count the one caught while attempting a feed of prawns with a cast net) 50 cms is a good size and glad to see ya put it back. A friend has just given me a kayak with which I'll be trying my luck around here. What kind of length do you use for the leader. Every 60lbs leader I have ever seen has been like wire and have shied away from using it thinking the fish eye point of view would be a shiny bait fish attached to a garden hose. ;D

Screaming_Eagle
31-10-2005, 08:50 AM
about a metre of jinkai. i don't think 60pd matters to a jack attacking a hardbody. i've caught them using 80pd around rock bars.