PDA

View Full Version : Coomera Jacks 30/10

JT
31-10-2005, 06:50 AM
Hi All,

After last weeks success and desperatly wanting to try out my new bow mount electric I headed to the ramp yeaterday morning to chase bream, but was hoping for some Jacks as by-catch :D. A mate and one of his friends was also coming down to chase Jacks so we hooked up at the ramp at 4.30am. After a quick 10 minute run back home to pick up the boat keys we were away :-[.

I was again throwing around the bream plastics while the other two were using hardbodies, poppers and bigger plastics trying for Jacks and Trevally. I landed a couple of just legal bream when I go absolutley hammered, drag was screaming and the line heading at an alarming rate towards a nearby Jetty. I locked up the spool and hoped everything held in an attempt to turn the fish. It did and soon there after I had my biggest (39cm) and first legal Gold Coast Jack on board ;D ;D ;D. After a quick photo he was released.

That was the highlight of the morning, I got busted off about 15 minutes later and I got a nice 55cm flathead while trolling, while Keith dropped a nice Jack at the boat. The boys also go a couple of small trevally and Chick boated a small Jack later.

After things slowed down we headed back towards the M1 bridges to try our luck, I had got a couple of small bream when a police woman got my attention, it appeared that a guy was missing on the river after jumping of the bridge and she wanted to have a look around. We (both our boats, the police launch, Coast Guard and the Careflight chopper) looked for around 1 1/2 without finding anything. He was recovered a couple of hours later by the Police divers. Such a shame and a waste of life - he was only 21 years old.

The boys decided that it was time for them to go and I was going to do the same when I got a phone call from my fiance - she was on her way to the ramp with Bacon & Egg McMuffins and hot coffee (gee I love that gal :-* :-*) So after eating, we decide to try and get her, her first plastic caught bream. Unfortunatley the bream and wind didn't want to play and neither of us caught anything else for the rest of the day.

Back at the ramp, the day just got better, when while taking off the steering lock I cracked the windscreen >:( >:( .

That was my Sunday, one filled with mixed emotion.

Cheers

John

JT
31-10-2005, 06:52 AM
39cm Jack

StevenM
31-10-2005, 07:00 AM
JT, what a day, least mum looked after ya with snacks and u got a few fish

Cheers Steven

cuzzamundi
31-10-2005, 02:16 PM
fantastic effort jt! you did it again - awesome stuff! bet he went a bit harder than the last one.

cheers,

cuzza

jackash
31-10-2005, 03:54 PM
Thats a great little jack... seem to be a few around down there atm.
Cheers
Jackash

flattymattyb
31-10-2005, 06:21 PM
Hi JT,

good stuff mate, 2 jacks from 2 trips there's no stopping you. Sounds like one hell of a day you had there bit of everything thrown in pity about the young bloke heard the story today bl**dy unlucky. Was there much fresh in the river from last weeks storms?

Cheers
Matty

JT
31-10-2005, 06:35 PM
Those little Jacks go hard on the light stuff, like last week I was only using 6lb braid with 6lb leader.
The water was pretty dirty from the rain, I think that's when the Gulps with their stronger scent come into their own.

Cheers

John

RobSee
31-10-2005, 09:17 PM
Nice fish John,

I have never caught the red bream down here. I'll have to have a crack sometime.

See you at the meeting next thurs?

Rob

JT
31-10-2005, 09:25 PM
G'day Rob,

Those red bream certainly go harder than the regular variety :o :o.

Won't be at the meeting next week heading upto Awoonga with Julian to fish a round of the ABT Barra Tour next Thursday. Should be good for a laugh, catching a barra will be a bonus ;D ;D

Cheers

John

a
31-10-2005, 10:13 PM
JT, how the time goes buy, I remember the day when your "Fiance" was handing out the apple strudle, geez those where the days.
Nice fish mate, next time give the fish some space, your scaring the young children.... Good to see u haven't lost the touch with those rat flatties!!!!

gogecko
01-11-2005, 11:02 AM
Hi JT,
well done mate, Ive been chasing them jacks 4 times now on the Coomera for no hits. Looks like you were upstream of the M1? Do you target sunken logs and overhanging trees as the best structure, or deep holes?

I also saw the police boat there about midday. I put in at 4pm and stayed until 7pm, just got a few bream and threw them back. I went upstream to the sunken pontoon and then back to the M1 pylons. It was pretty quiet for fishing action Sunday arvo.

flickflack
01-11-2005, 12:43 PM
JT

Good effort mate you must have done well to stop him from getting to the jetty, would have been good to see.
It looks like I am going up for the Faust night barra comp on the Monday, unfortunately gonna leave from here Monday Morning and then have to get back for work on Tuesday so wont be able to catch up much with the guys. We will be fishing on the Attack boat that fished the Classic so if you get the chance pop over and say HI. Havent pinned a Barra yet so looking forward to it.

Cheers Rod

JT
01-11-2005, 08:48 PM
Hey Gogeko, The Jacks I am getting are by-catch for the bream that I am targeting, they have come from the shallows, and in the deeper drop - offs.

Rod - don't those little Jacks go hard on the light gear, had a bit of a play tonight for an hour or so, couple of small bream and a bust off. Should be a good spot on those 35 + degree days with the afternoon storms. Can't wait.

We are only fishing the one round (Awoonga) so unfortunatly won't be able to catch up, Drew's Attack is an awsome piece of hardware, you should have a ball in it. We are only going up in the new Haines Pro-strike with 150 E-tec on the back ;D ;D ;D

Look forward to your reports. Hopefully I'll actually have something to report.

Cheers

John

Gutsy
02-11-2005, 07:49 AM
Sounds like you will have a comfy ride up there JT. ;)

Screaming_Eagle
02-11-2005, 08:24 AM
looks like you upsized your leader for the jack this time JT. top work.

JT
02-11-2005, 10:06 PM
Gutsy - very much looking forward to it, will we see you up there?

Screaming Eagle - same set up as last time - 4lb fireline, 6lb Nitlon leaders, my standard bream rig.

Cheers

John