PDA

View Full Version : Pre-closure Barra

Mozza
03-11-2005, 09:19 AM
Interesting note about barra having recently bagged myself a 112cm barra trolling the breakwater and groins at Townsville with the big Halco goldie:

There were a lot of barra about that size hanging around especially the entrance to the Marina. I passed an old fella on the rocks struggling to carry his second of the arvo up the rocks! And having been down since on foot, I have been bust off once and sat watching another just patrolling up and down along the edge of the rocks. The old gal patrolling was swimming so close to the rocks that she had to go sideways over shallow rocks!

Interesting behaviour and they're obviously gathering for spawning. Good thing the season's closed...

Cheers
Mozza

stunnedmullet
03-11-2005, 10:36 AM
Mozza
Have seen that behaviour from barra myself around the rockwalls. Pretty frustrating to see good sized barra swimming lazily up and down the ledge not interested in my live mullet, sards or lures. Great to watch tho [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]
Well done on your catch too.
The mullet

slacky
03-11-2005, 11:18 AM
I will have to go the marina in cairns,and look around the rocks.

noodlemantra
03-11-2005, 05:47 PM
damn it! have tried the entrance a few times and nothing. always knew that place would hold em. gotta get it at the right time. i guess

fishsmith
04-11-2005, 05:51 AM
Well done mozza thats a good size fish from the briney..yes have caught some good ones around there myself and have seen plenty swim by not in a feeding mood(frustrating)...Roll on Febuary...

Mozza
04-11-2005, 11:38 AM
Slacky, if ever there was a place to get monster barra in Cairns I would have to say the marina under the lights at night with livies...., or even trolling or casting.

I spent 5 years in Darwin and heard plenty of stories of HUUUGE barra being caught around the jettys where the lights are in Darwin. Have sat at fishermans wharf having a feed at night watching big barra lazily picking whatever's stunned by the lights. Great fun to watch.

I've been for a walk around the marina at Cairns and man, did I get itchy fingers. I had my fly rod but no luck although the guys with handlines were having fun.

I gotta laugh at people with handlines on jetties - they spread them out so far that all they do is run from one to the next as bait gets chewed or a handline starts bouncing around - usually empty-handed. First off its 3 lines per person allowed and it makes sense to put your reels near at hand even if the lines are spread!!!