PDA

View Full Version : Woody and Scotts point Redcliffe

land_based
02-11-2005, 08:22 PM
Went to woody point to start the day at low tide and decided to try and dig some of these worms people on here were talking about. Ended up with a few so then i hit the woody point jetty in hope of some baitfish. Managed a couple of herring and 1 reasonable gar. I had my bait and tide was still low, so i jumped back in the car and jetted up to scotts point. First cast *bang* nice size flounder on the freshly dug worms. After that it was bream after bream and moses perch. I got bitten off twice on my 6kg leader by what seamed to be tailor or some sort of pelagic on prawns. I also put the gar i caught out whole on a two hook rig with a large sinker on it. Just as i was leaving the reel screemed of on the gar rig, i struck and felt something really heavy, then it felt like a snag, COD!! i thought. I applied pressure for about 2 minutes then the reel screamed off again with a really heavy weight an slight thud thud thuds, then snagged again. I applied pressure but finally the 6kg gave in and the rod came flying back. Al in all a nice day on the water and i will be going back to scotts point again to catch that big one ;)

cheers rob

woody point worm digging

land_based
02-11-2005, 08:23 PM
worm 1 name?????????

land_based
02-11-2005, 08:24 PM
worm 2 name???

land_based
02-11-2005, 08:26 PM
I dug atleast 3 of these prawns out of the sand, they were in about 15cm under the sand ~!!!!!!!

land_based
02-11-2005, 08:27 PM
this gar, later to be swallowede up by something big

land_based
02-11-2005, 08:28 PM
anyone know what this baitfish is?????

land_based
02-11-2005, 08:30 PM
headed to scotts point until dusk, warning dont wear thongs here :o

land_based
02-11-2005, 08:30 PM
heres the flounder caught on the freshly dug worms

philip_thomson
02-11-2005, 08:45 PM
good stuff rob. nothing quite like a day down by the water fishing. should have taken the gar home for a feed. they taste pretty good.

some good photos there

Cheers Phil

vertico
02-11-2005, 08:50 PM
you serious phill, you would actually take your bait home for a feed :)

cuzzamundi
02-11-2005, 08:50 PM
gday land based,

great effort mate and awesome pics! unreal about the cod! wish he had have kept on. how big you reckon he was? where'd you put the hook on the whiting - you use one or two? bugger, but as you said next time!!! were the mosies anywhere legal? they sometimes get a little bigger at scotts. anyway mate well done and keep us informed of future trips mate!
cheers,

cuzza

land_based
02-11-2005, 08:58 PM
caught a lot of legal stuff but the freezer is already full, so today was strictly catch and release, not even sure what the legal limit on moses are but the ones i caught there were around 25cm. It really is hard to tell how big the one that got away was, guesstimating around 4-5 kilo as it had my light surf doubled over. Scotts point seems to be a bit 9of a mystery spot producing a vast range of species everytime i go there. Great for an afternoon fish on the ebb.

thanks for all the comments guys

rob

philip_thomson
02-11-2005, 09:09 PM
size on the moses perch is 25cm

land-lubber
02-11-2005, 09:19 PM
the fish ur not sure about is a species of mowong, ususally caught off the ocean rocks, but is very hard to catch, so well done on that count!! i think its called a red mowong? someone can correct me on that. the big one may have been a shovelly, they tend to act like that and love livies, esp if attactched to bottom. anyway, theres my thoughts
cheers

rando
02-11-2005, 10:12 PM
the brown worm is a "wriggler worm" I think!, usually found on gritty/shelly beaches, under seaweed flotsam, deadly bait.!
rando

land_based
02-11-2005, 10:17 PM
great thanks rando, i saw some old boys digging for them round scotts point aswell, they seemed to know what they were doing!

Jeremy87
02-11-2005, 10:50 PM
The green worm is called a green paddle worm Phyllodoce novaehollandine And the unknown fish appears to be a Magpie Morwong but the markings are less destinctive than my source so it may be another similar species.

chanquetas
03-11-2005, 10:23 PM
Good pics mate. I fish around there a bit too.

major-defect
04-11-2005, 08:30 AM
headed to scotts point until dusk, warning dont wear thongs here #:o
Used to be lots of blue ringed octopus there.When i was a boy was there barefoot and see these fellas poking round the rocks with screw drivers.They were collecting them to sell to the university and had about 15 of them.Always wore shoes there after that.

Duyz72
04-11-2005, 01:29 PM
Is Scotts Point the one just at the Redcliffe side of the Hornibrook Bridge? Or is that Clontarf Point?

If not, where abouts is it?

Gigantor
04-11-2005, 01:30 PM
Land_based,

Reckon the bust off was most likely a good sized stingray. Quite a few around the region you were fishing. The stop-start attitude you describe sounds very "ray-like".

On ya.

Gigantor

Steven78
04-11-2005, 02:02 PM
I asked the boss for a day off work “Thanks Stephen”. The plan was head out to Mud and drift the same old spot. The weather was on the shady side so I turned back and tried my other spot near the sunken wall at Pinkenba. I got there around 4:30am or a little later. On my first drift I got 2 Squire around 36cms :D . The following drift I got 2 more 1 x 45cm and the other 40cm ;D ;D. At this stage I thought I would bag out so I turned on the live well which died a few minutes later the pump was damaged :-[ oh well another project for a windy day. So I kept on drifting and catching legal sized Squire which I was releasing. I wanted to catch that big one so I could join the Foggy 5+ club. The fish started to slow down so I decided to keep fith and last 38cm squire. Now that I had baged out on Sqiure I thought Jew and flathead was the worth a go. With a change of Jig and SP I kept on drifting and then Wahoo I was onto something big. It took about 50m of line the first run. I was thinking Jew but it was not it was just another squire around the 65cm mark which I released at the side of the boat as I already had my bad limit. I then headed back home via the office to give a workmate a fish. I meet and Ausfish member out there who was trying his luck with surface poppers after chatting for a while about SP’s I gave him a fish and decided to pull stumps. Sorry mate I forgot your name.
I was home by 12pm and very happy and cannot wait to get back out there.
Thanks Stephen for letting me have the day off.

I was using ZOOMS in baby bass and ZOOMs Bass 5inch 1/8th nitro jig.