PDA

View Full Version : First Squire on SP

Mick_the_Fish
02-11-2005, 12:17 PM
Went to Mud today and scored my first squire on SP. Got two and was busted up twice. Both times it was the leader and not at a knot or the hook, will have to go up a couple of pound I spose. Using 10lb Platapus Platinum leader on 15 lb Fireline. There were four trawlers working Mud when I arrived and as I passed they were holding up massive Snapper and pointing to where they must of got them. Good to see there are big Snapper there, but a shame there were so many trawlers working the area. Both my squire were around the 20-25cm mark, but can only get better from here. 8-)

NeMo84
02-11-2005, 02:38 PM
mate did ya have the drag set for 10 or 15lb line?

Mick_the_Fish
02-11-2005, 04:05 PM
Had the drag set very light. Both fish took off like a bat out of hell and then gone. The leader appeared to be scuffed, so reckon it was bit through or cut on the bottom 8-)

Just_chips
02-11-2005, 07:07 PM
Try using a fluorocarbon leader like berkley vanish or nitlon. They are more expensive than mono but as a leader material are much more hard wearing and durable.

Cheers Kev.

Mick_the_Fish
02-11-2005, 07:12 PM
Thanks Kev, dont mind spending the money on worthwhile stuff....If it means a better chance of boating them, it's worthwhile

Cheers, Mick

krazed1
02-11-2005, 09:04 PM
damn trawlers i rekon they should have to go out deep sea past moreton. its almost impossible to catch a good bag of fish unless you got a boat these days >:(

Cheech
02-11-2005, 09:19 PM
Bloody trawlers... Matt, it sounds like they took your snapper.

Mick, I have recently started to use Berkley vanish for leaders and have been pretty happy with it. Platinum is very thin for the breaking strain and I guess would not last long when rubbing against bottom.

Cheech

Scalem
02-11-2005, 11:18 PM
Geez, hearing about Trawlers in one of my favourite spots sickens me. I recently caught my PB Snapper at Mud, which has taken me a long time to do, and I still get friends tell me " why didn't you release a fish that is obviously of breeeding size?" So why do I feel guilty? And I have vowed to release next time as a result.

One awsome fish in 12 months of trying on Plastics, and these guys just scoop them up in one big net?? The expression should be "release it, so someone else can enjoy the pleasure of catching a great fish" NOT "Release him so he can swim into a Tawler's net!!" [smiley=angry.gif]

Scalem

Benno
03-11-2005, 08:27 AM
Yep, agree totally Scalem

Jiggit
03-11-2005, 06:29 PM
down south spear fishing is illegal on inshore waters . so why isnt commercial fishing ilegal in all inshore waters including bays, estuaries, creeks and atleast 2k out to see so they dont kill inshore reefs as well. the intelligence of these politicians, councils , mayors or whoever these parasitic germ law makers are leaves me freakin gobsmacked !

wouldnt be surprised if the same people put a bird flu quarintine area in the birthing ward of a hospital ...... >:( >:(

krazed1
03-11-2005, 06:44 PM
should start a petition to clear the trawlers out of bay waters to keep the few half decent spots we still have inshore. ive watched them ruin plenty of spots around the bay. give them a few weeks or months and you would be better of casting in to your pool than the surrounding waters of mud >:(

Just_chips
03-11-2005, 08:00 PM
Earlier this year there were heaps of reports of quality squire and snapper being taken around Mud and then somebody posted that they had just seen the pro's netting the area. All of a sudden the good reports stopped flowing. >:(In the last couple of weeks the mud Island reports have been gradually improving, with the pinnacle being Cheech's magnificent snapper on plastics. Now that the trawlers have been through again it will be interesting to see if the reports from Mud come to a grinding halt again. :(

Hopefully there is not a double agent out there reading the ausfish reports trying to decide where to drag his nets through next. :-/

Cheers Kev

vertico
04-11-2005, 02:29 PM
thats when you tell a white lie and say you caught em at king island :)

Jiggit
04-11-2005, 07:00 PM
where i grew up botany bay was always fished out, but since they bought the nsw recreational fishing licence in alot of the money went in to and effectively bought out all commercial licences that work the bay, ( then scrapped them .by law they cannot be bought back so it becomes free of the pressure.) and reports from a mate at ken apels tackle shop and also my old boy reckon the fishing has made a remarkable come back . if managed correctly and by people with the right interests surely u would think we could do it for the entire moreton bay.