PDA

View Full Version : Tupperware Party at Mud - New PB's

Scalem
22-10-2005, 03:49 PM
Gidday all,

Up with the birds this morning to hit the water at 5.00am, fishing by 5.30am. Fantastic run out, could do whatever speed I wanted in the 15 footer. Actually, a brocolli box would have done the trick!!

Lot's of bites happening as soon as we arrived on spot X at Mud with my younger brother as deckie, within the 1st hour I pulled in a 58cm Snapper, and a few other legal fish to 43cm. I was a pretty happy chappy, adrenalin pumping through the veins, and shaking like a leaf. The action slowed a little by 9.00am, then I noticed a twitch in my 2nd unattended Rod. When I picked it up and struck, at first it looked as good as the first fish at 58cm, until I tried to put some hurt on!! Wooohooo!! Peeled some line off like no tomorrow!! One major blistering run, then the next 10 mins went like... Lose 10 mtrs, gain 5, lose 2 mtrs gain 5 and so on.

The Snapper stayed deep, and then brother Andrew saw it for the 1st time. $%$#$@#!!!
That's when I could feel the heart nearly jumping out of my chest, thinking, please God, this is the one!! We made one lunge at it with the net, and missed, I nearly cried, but slackened the drag a touch. Another few little runs, and she came on board. What a top day!!, and now my PB on plastics.. Largest fish went 83cm and nearly 7KG

Photos attached.

Scalem

Scalem
22-10-2005, 03:52 PM
The two best fish

Scalem
22-10-2005, 04:01 PM
Total for the morning

finga64
22-10-2005, 04:13 PM
bit better then last trip eh ;)

big_steve001
22-10-2005, 04:33 PM
nice catch mate went out today as well and didnt get any squire so well done. cheers steve

Lucky_Phill
22-10-2005, 05:07 PM
Awesome work and a just reward for your efforts.

I like the no-bump Snapper, as I believe they are resident Bay fish.

Cheers Phill

aquarius
22-10-2005, 05:36 PM
Gee mate i knew we should have gone to Mud instead of Wello :o
Thats one nice snapper on an Sp......You did well to land it on light gear.
I can see you doing a few more Mud trips ;D
Just shows there are still some quality snapper around in the bay.
Cheers Brent ;)

beatsworkin
22-10-2005, 05:44 PM
nice bay snapper there matee for all to nv

DaneCross
22-10-2005, 06:02 PM
Great fish mate - top effort for the bay [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

jackash
22-10-2005, 06:26 PM
They are awesome fish for plastics... actually awesome fish no amtter what your using. Top stuff
Cheers
Jackash

pegasus
22-10-2005, 07:02 PM
beautifull fish - what top day and report- great when it comes together-congrats

cheers lew

Scalem
22-10-2005, 07:59 PM
Thanks All for the encouragement. "Finga" knows last trip I posted the results to, was a shocker for me on the fish talley, but brilliant for my mate Andrew fishing on the other side of the boat.
Why does one side of the boat attract the fish, and not the other?
Today was "one of those days" where everything just worked [smiley=laola.gif]

It was my turn to be on the right side of the boat, choice of plastic, choice of tide, choice of Jig Head, and a fair bit of research for the location. Does not always go this well, and I am over the moon to finally set a PB of 7KG. Yahoo!!! ;D

620sf
23-10-2005, 08:27 AM
Top effort scalem, any bloke who heads offshore would be happy to have a fish like that in the box at the end of the day.

outsiderskip
23-10-2005, 11:00 AM
top fish scalem bay snapper fight
like express trains

cheers pete

flickflack
23-10-2005, 12:08 PM
Awesome fish on sps mate.

Poodroo
23-10-2005, 05:15 PM
This message is from the deckie of the day. Yes you guessed it, it is the younger brother who seemed to have little more purpose than to hold a landing net and get out his digital camera to take the lovely shots of those awesome bay snapper. A personal congratulations to my older brother for his well earned catches but perhaps next time he should be less greedy and catch his own bag limits instead of infringing on mine. (It's all good because I wasn't catching them on the day anyway) ;) It sure was a pleasure to be a part of such a successful trip. :)

DaMaGe
23-10-2005, 05:22 PM
That is an awesome catch from the Mud.
WD!

Scalem
23-10-2005, 08:29 PM
I see you've figured out the registration process Andrew!! Yes, I looked after you so you could take a feed home for the little rug rats that love fresh snapper for Tea ;D

But you've always been a good deckie, which is important when manouvering around fish like this. Your Turn next time, just get some decent line on that spool and you'll be laughin!!

Scalem

Poodroo
23-10-2005, 08:46 PM
Good point Brian. I guess if catching a fish on this particular occassion meant putting food on the table to feed the family, we would be starving to death this weekend. Glad you did well. ;D

MIKOS
26-10-2005, 01:43 PM
Saw your post Scalem in the going fishing section.
I should have gone to Mud :'(
Well done,they are awsome ;).Im going to mud next weekend and I think I might keep an eye out for you cause I rekon youll be back ;D

Then again the place might be full of grinners as i seem to be able to attract them everywhere at the moment ;D ;D

MIKOS

JB
26-10-2005, 02:55 PM
Top fish there mate, tell me how do you blokes stop the grinners from murdering your plastics. Every time we go there it costs us like 30 + dollars in plastics cause the friggn grinners are at em >:(

Jas

MIKOS
26-10-2005, 03:02 PM
jB jUST DONT HANG AROUND ME. ;D ;D

Thats how you stop em ;D

No seriously I just keep on moving around till they seem to dissapear.They really do like the sp's hey.

MIKOS

Poodroo
26-10-2005, 03:38 PM
Hi Mikos, it's Scalem's brother and deck hand here. The grinners can be a pain but I don't seem to have a problem with them. On the day I managed to catch one grinner for the whole day. They either don't don't like me or they just love you or both. ;D Just out of curiosity what plastics are you using? Maybe consider experimenting a bit ( size, colour, brands etc.)

JB
26-10-2005, 03:49 PM
We have been using the berkley minnows in watermelon etc, but find they get chomped pretty easy.

reeldreamer
26-10-2005, 04:18 PM
Very nice! It's like an over size squire! Even better to get it on a SP!

Mitch

MIKOS
26-10-2005, 04:35 PM
Poodroo,
How are ya,
Do you use the same colour and type of sp your brother is using?or are they different.I seem to attract the grinners on all of them.Liitle &^astards eat everything.
Maybe thats team work how you attract them and jb catches the fish ;D
Stick to that mate if it works ;D

MIKOS

Steven78
26-10-2005, 07:58 PM
MIKOS just slow down your action and grinners wont be a problem. Any way thats what i found.
Head to fish head and look at getting some ZOOMs there a little more hard wareing.

dorado
26-10-2005, 08:37 PM
WoW! Great Fish & fantastic effort guys! I've never caught a thing at Mud except for Grinners and very undersized Squires :(

I've heard and read about this mysterious Spot X for some time now and have tried to find it on my own by sounding out and roughly fishing 1 klm from the shoreline all around the island but to no avail. If somebody is willing to share the GPS coords with me via a PM I'd be very greatful. Thanks.

Cheers!

Fishin_Dan
26-10-2005, 08:45 PM
Very nice fish Scalem!

I bet Mud will be like a parking lot this weekend!!! ;D

foggy
26-10-2005, 10:11 PM
My best plastic would have to be the 5" watermelon powerbait with a 1/4 nitro jig. All of our bigger fish fall to that plastic. I have about 100 different colours, sizes and shapes but always come back to the powerbait.

mud this weekend will be the same as always, except for one thing, tides and moon lead to Mud being best late on Sun and Mon arvos. Might sleep in and do an arvo session Sunday

MIKOS
27-10-2005, 09:54 AM
MIKOS just slow down your action and grinners wont be a problem. Any way thats what i found.
Head to fish head and look at getting some ZOOMs there a little more hard wareing.

Hi Steven78

ZOOMs sound good mate ;)

Im going to the tackle shop this weekend so ill have a look. :)

Thanks for the tip ;)

MIKOS

Louis
27-10-2005, 11:21 AM
Well done

Nice fish.

Louis

Poodroo
27-10-2005, 08:03 PM
Yes Mikos, I was using the same plastics as scalem. Not sure why we don't catch many grinners but it may have something to do with the jig weight. When there is little current we tend to use 1/8 ounce or less.

Scalem
28-10-2005, 07:18 AM
Hi Fellas,

I have been off air for the last few days, good to see your comments. As for grinners, I don't have a real problem with them, I don't think it is really related to the SP you are using, I think it's because I use very little movement when jigging the SP. Often I stick the rod in the rod holder and let the Morton Bay chop do the jigging for me. Just cast ahead of the boat on the drift with as light a rig as possible, still reaching the bottom.

Dave Downie is going to feature the photo on channel 10 friday week, so I may as well give you the drum early, go North West of Mud and you will be fine ;)
Scalem

Poodroo
04-11-2005, 07:37 PM
Well congratulations again from the deck hand and photographer. Managed to see the photos not only on ch 10 fishing report this afternoon but also in the Albert and Logan News. It was a top day, top catch, and well deserved recognition. [smiley=laola.gif]

Scalem
04-11-2005, 10:50 PM
Thanks Poodroo! Wanna know something that will bring tears to your eyes?? I had planned to take the girls out tomorrow morning......until they heard the weather might bring a shower or two so they chickened out, and 4.00am is too early for them. So I am doing a solo as it was too late to ring you.

Stay tuned.... If there are any snapper left there....

Scalem

Poodroo
06-11-2005, 04:28 PM
Well I have been panning through the reports and strangely enough have not seen any new reports from scalem so one would have to assume one of many options. Firstly the quality fish just weren't out there, secondly the fish may have been there but doing a solo trip without a good deckhand was not a good idea and you couldn't get them in the boat, or perhaps the rain made you chicken out too, or maybe even finally bagged out again but you couldn't snap a decent photo and hold the 10 kg giant on your own. lol :P

outsiderskip
06-11-2005, 05:48 PM
nice fishing
with quality snapper

cheers pete

Scalem
06-11-2005, 08:27 PM
I hope the rest of the world doesn't mind seeing a little friendly sparring between brothers ;D - I went Sat am, and mother dear is reaping the benefits of my labour tonight with fresh Snapper for tea!! Both came in at 43cm odd, but as some of our fellow Ausfishers have written, there must have been men in grey suits a plenty, I locked on to some good fish, then wondered what the heck happened, they seemed to fight differently, one last run and snap!! No more jig head and SP.

I would hate to be swimming in Morton Bay at the moment...

Scalem