PDA

View Full Version : Pine River Flatty session 5/11

Just_chips
05-11-2005, 09:45 PM
Made a last minute decision to head down to the Pine after lunch today to flick some plastics for flathead. I was skippa for the day (moderate exposure to plastics fishing but keen as) crew on board was Michaeal (bro-in-law and seasoned plastic fisherman) and Pete (brother and first timer with plastic thingies).

We started out slowly with the wind pushing us against the tide at some stages, Mike got the first fish after about ten minutes or so, a nice flatty of about 35cm which was sent home to grow some more. Pete was amazed these plastic things do catch fish. Mike then caught a 23cm bream which was also released. Then Pete got his first flathead on SP's which measured 45cm.

After a few more drifts and a couple of moves I was about to pull the old "skippa is not to be outfished" clause nad ziiiiinnnggg! I'm on, it had weight, it had power, it had speed, it had some nice headshakes, it had spat the hook just after its second run DOH >:(. After the customary cursing and swearing I thought I might just work the SP back instead of just winding it back in and I get another hit and stay connected this time to a 45cm fish. OK all is well the skippa has a fish now too. :)

Then Pete hooked a nice fish with plenty of weight and fight and after a little bit of fiddling around we had 62cm fish in the net. Woohoo smiles alround, the bloke borrowing all our gear was catching all the fish.

Total tally for the arvo was 5 keepers, all except the big one being around 45cm. We hit the water at about 3pm pulled stumps at about 5.30pm and got a feed, now Pete said that next time he comes he won't need to borrow any gear. Sounds like a convert to me

land_based
05-11-2005, 11:21 PM
Thats a great flatty mate, and a top report too!! Good to see the pine is still kicking. What sort of plastics were you using mate??

cuzzamundi
05-11-2005, 11:22 PM
great effort just chips. roughly whereabouts in the pine were you?
cheers,

cuzza

Just_chips
06-11-2005, 07:30 AM
All fish were caught on 3" berkley dropshot minnows on 1/4 and 1/6 tt heads with pearl/watermelon being the colour of choice for the day. We fished the banks inbetween deepwater bend and dohles rocks.

Forgot to mention that we disturbed a couple goin for it on the bank by the boardwalk footpath :o:-[. If they happen to read this then my advice would be to get a motel room next time ;D

Scott15
06-11-2005, 03:24 PM
nice fish, tryed a few times in the pine but only getitn small ones, good fish

rajawolf
06-11-2005, 04:02 PM
mmmmmm...nice flatty. :)

NeMo84
06-11-2005, 06:59 PM
nice fish mate, shoulda taken a snapshot of the couple too ;) hahaha the looks on their faces woulda been gold...

Mick_the_Fish
06-11-2005, 07:10 PM
Never had much luck in the pine, but with fish like that, it's worth another shot. Good report 8-)

Just_chips
06-11-2005, 07:15 PM
Forgot all about the camera at the time cause we were motoring back to the ramp. Don't know about getting the looks on their faces tho cause all I could see was a set of shining white butt cheeks ;D

mattooty
06-11-2005, 08:13 PM
Great fish, and it would've been even better photography to just get the looks on their faces as you raised a camera ;D ;D ;D
Matt

cuzzamundi
06-11-2005, 10:54 PM
lol just chips - musta been a site seein a coupla moons out during the day!!!
thanks for the location too.

cheers,

cuzza

scotty
06-11-2005, 11:16 PM
maybe they liked the fresh air anyway good fish good to see that the ole pine is still kickin