PDA

View Full Version : My first Snapper - Mud Island

Pwoida
06-11-2005, 09:43 AM
Bloody shark!!

Started out from Nudgee at 6:30am and headed out looking for surface action in the shipping lanes from the 4 beacons to the edge of the northern bay - nothing, nadda, zilch. Spent a while trolling pillies and slugs, then floating pillies, no takers. Decided against going outside due to the amount of fuel already consumed, so headed for mud looking for bust ups along the way. Got to mud with no action seen, so time for some drifts with plastics.
My first cast was upstream of the drift, and while I was waiting for the boat to catch up to my line I get smashed by something decent. After a few runs and headshakes I'm thinking snapper, but after a run that took my line in a sudden change of direction, I was starting to think it was a big ray, or shovely.
What came up eventually was a very frustrating sight indeed.
A few more drifts resulted in only one small squire and we were starting to get a bit more interested in the birds diving a couple of ks away. Headed out there to find some small skittish schools of what I'm pretty sure were small longtails. Had plenty of throws at them but just to hard to get amongst them.
Oh well, looking forward to the looming pelagic season.

Cheech
06-11-2005, 01:12 PM
Bugga

philip_thomson
06-11-2005, 01:14 PM
look on the bright side atleast you got a bit of a feed from the top part of the fish :-/

kitty_cat
06-11-2005, 01:15 PM
the men in grey suits we hate them too,
maybe a good post best 1/2 fish

NeilD
06-11-2005, 01:21 PM
I hate giving them a free feed. Looking at the bite radius I would not like to go for a cooling dip around there.

Neil

outsiderskip
06-11-2005, 01:24 PM
nice head
make good fish soup

cheers pete

Scalem
06-11-2005, 03:39 PM
Pwoida,

I guess it's hard to see the bright side of losing a great fish like this. Which day were you there, Saturday? If it was Saturday, that explains a few things for me too. I lost a tonne of Jig heads and plastics at Mud, but didn't realize it was sharks. I felt a few good runs, then a sort of twitching, one last zzzziiinnnnggg and snap!

Sorry you lost this fish, but thanks for explaining things. :-/

Scalem

aquarius
06-11-2005, 04:14 PM
Mate that is a nice size snapper head..........keep the plastics going because i'm sure you will land a complete snapper next time.
I've had the same thing happen at Wello reef just cms from the boat.......lucky i didn't try and lift the fish out off the water with my bare hands ::)
Cheers Brent :)

rajawolf
06-11-2005, 04:14 PM
Damn how sharp are fish teeth...wish I had a knife as sharp.

Pwoida
06-11-2005, 08:46 PM
Unlucky Phil - Yeh, I did get a bit of a feed off it at least.

Scalem - I was out saturday morning.

Aquarius - Yeh, I think I'll stick with the plastics from now on.

Thanks for the commiserations guys, I'll get a whole one soon I'm sure.

MIKOS
07-11-2005, 12:39 PM
Think you have just discovered a new fish.

a Tailess Snappa ;D

Mikos

Poodroo
07-11-2005, 07:57 PM
That's very heart breaking. Have not had that happen but then again I have not caught a snapper yet either but when it does happen I sure hope the sharks are elsewhere. Better luck next time. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]