PDA

View Full Version : Wello point 4th

Darryl
05-11-2005, 12:17 AM
My first report so go easy on me guys/gals. Got itchy feet this afternoon and couldn't wait till sunday to go for a fish so thought i might give wello a go for the first time. Well i am glad i did as it is a stones throw to some decent pinnacles from the boat ramp.

Bit choppy and my first time out of wello in the dark so i thought i wouldn't go to far. Found a nice pinnacle in only 2.5 meters of water and thought bugger it this will do. Threw out the 2 rods and before i could light a smoke one reel was heading to New Zealand. I was hoping for my first bay squire but when it come to the back of the boat my mouth started watering as it was a nice little 51cm cod.

While i was getting the cod out of the net reel 2 started singing my favourite song. Turns out this time it was a little squire that went 35 cm's. All fish on ice baits back in and just got busted off buy something with attitude( i would say shark) for the next half an hour.

Time to call on the big guns so i grabbed my diawa sld 20 coupled with a Mark Alderson custom made rod called the Kingy Killa ;D. Well as usual as soon as you get out the big guns nothing happens , well i cant say nothing, i did catch a 4 inch cod on the bugger #;D Didn't even know i had him on the rod lol.

Only another 38cm squire after that as i reckon the noahs where circling. Seas started to get uncomfortable so i decided to call it a night.

All fish were caught on whole squid with a pea sinker drifted out the back.

Anyways i know that the fish aren't anywhere near the #size fish you guys catch but i'm happy with a quality feed.

Cheers Darryl. #

vertico
05-11-2005, 04:10 AM
very nice cod for wello

StevenM
05-11-2005, 07:50 AM
Cod and chips,

Yummmm

aquarius
05-11-2005, 07:57 AM
Mate thats a top effort for a first time night trip to Wello......You managed a good feed especially the Cod......The squire are average for day time at Wello but we have caught them to 63cm during the night on soft plastics.......full moon.
Try 4 metre mark on your next night trip.
Cheers Brent ;)

Toppy
05-11-2005, 08:40 AM
Good on ya Darryl, you have to start somewhere, I have a lot of fond memories fishing between Mud Island & Peal.
Good luck for next time!
cheers Toppy

Duyz72
05-11-2005, 12:53 PM
Only 2.5m? You might as well have walked it ;D

Darryl
05-11-2005, 03:30 PM
Yer thanxs fellas was happy with that as last time i went out i was at the 36's ne of the seaway and caught bugger all and this time i fish in 2.5 metres and catch fish.

Fishing, a wonderfull unpredictable thing isn't it.

Thanxs guys Darryl.

Ps, fishin in that depth of water i should have just thrown the cast net i spose.

Na no fun in that. ;D

aquarius
05-11-2005, 03:58 PM
Throw the cast net out in the Wello shallows and its the last cast you make..lol
I have used my cast net at Wello on the 5 metre droppoff to get some fresh hardyheads but don't let it go down too deep.
Cheers Brent :)

flynny15
05-11-2005, 04:02 PM
how are you mate, i fished there this morning, my 3rd try at the place. started around 6 am , with plastics, had enough of them , so thought i would use bait for once, tried a few unsuccesful spots in 4m , finally found a nice spot in 6m, where a few fish where holding up. action was instant, caught a pinkie of 34cm released it, then my first size pinkie in queensland around 39cm, bloody relief.

after that saw a big school of fish busting the surface, only lasted mins. ended up with 1 lost run, 1 bust off, 3 pinkies,, 1 sweetlip, 1 bream, 1 grinner, 1 mackereal i swear it had spots, was around 35cm, could this had been a baby spotted mackeral. All this happened from 8am-9am then nothing.

cheers mate. GO WELLO.

Darryl
05-11-2005, 04:07 PM
Onya flynny , wello is a great spot, i reckon i only used two cups of fuel in the boat last night and probably used 40 to get there in the v8 ;D

Glad you got a feed out of your trip.

Darryl

Darryl
05-11-2005, 04:08 PM
Brent she has some nasty feeling bottom there huh, is it actually reef or rock?

Toppy do you still get out there mate?

Lager
05-11-2005, 04:22 PM
Nice catch there Darryl. Myself and fellow Ausfisher Surly were also out off Wello late yesterday and early evening. Managed a nice 46cm squire and a 65cm flathead both on softies. Both were caught on Berkeley 4inch powerbaits in watermelon and the ever reliable pumpkinseed.

Darryl
05-11-2005, 04:41 PM
Lager i was in a 18 foot carribean not far from the entrance #markers into the boat ramp but i noticed a lot of boats up near hybures beacon(not sure of the spelling.

I have to have more patience with the plastics lager, i find i throw them for five minutes then give up and throw a pilly #on ;D.

I must get myself some patience and fish only with plastics as i reckon it would be a great buzz .

There was a boat close to me near the entrance was that you mate or were you up near the beacon?

Mogwai
05-11-2005, 04:43 PM
thats some very nice fish i been out there about 4 times and have not got a thing :( must be doing something wrong

2DKnBJ
05-11-2005, 05:10 PM
Darryl
Nice feed there mate.Atleast you were out having a go :)
Sounds like you have as much patience with frangers as me.Never did like using them ;D ::)
I am starting to throw the baits out and then flick some plastics around and we will see what happens.
Cheers Dazza

Darryl
05-11-2005, 08:03 PM
Yer good luck dazza, that's what i have been doin but with no luck yet.

Ps, you dont have to tell me about franger hatred, 4 kids remind me everyday that i should have gotten into plastics a long time ago ;D.

Lager
07-11-2005, 07:47 AM
Darryl, we were up closer to the beacon drifting around in the 14ft aquamaster tinnie. The sloppy conditions gave the new rig a good workout. We used to always fish bait out there but have now been converted into plastic chuckers. We are only novices in the way of the plastic but are still learning. Once you get used to it and find good structure it is an awesome way to target the Wello shallows. l

Wyoming
07-11-2005, 09:24 AM
Hay Darryl and Lager, I was there early Saturday (white Cruise craft 575) with no keepers up until 11 AM, but like you, I did get a couple of smallish cod - all full of spikes and bad manners.

Darryl, it is definitely reef around that area and you seem to have to get used to abrasion on the lines, so be aware of this if you are using braid and flurocarbon, because as sure as hell, they will break where there is a nick in the line.

beefaman
07-11-2005, 12:32 PM
Well done guys!!
Fishing Wello is an art form with SP's. Helps getting out there with someone who knows what they are doing. Ask questions, show you the techniques, drift patterns etc...it all helps :)
Normally it is just to reaffirm that what you are doing is right, then the rest is just patience.
I'll tell ya this...never been to Wello and come home without at least 1 keeper caught on SP's ;)

flynny15
07-11-2005, 07:37 PM
gday guys, i was there sat morning fishing from a pollycraft, i was plastic fishing near the beacon before using bait, where any of you guys in a blue tinny, using platics???

i ask cause thats the only boat i remember

Touchy - R.I.P.
08-11-2005, 06:24 AM
Last rumour I heard was that they are putting in traffic lights at Huybers 8-) :o, Just so Beefa & Brent can get a chance to get a franger in past all you bl**dy baito's :P ;D.GO WELLO!!.Touchy.><>

Darryl
08-11-2005, 07:35 PM
Lol@baito's , maybe we should fly some sort of of flag to let the franger boys know that that is our reef ;D

Seriously though i just need to get my first fish on sp's and i reckon i will be hooked on them.

Wyoming i was using both mono and braid and it seems like the mono copped it harder. I was only fishing in 2.5 and still had to pull off about 30 feet on freyed line when i got home.

Lager i will keep my eye out for you mate , lord know's i need all the help i can get to catch a fish on sp's.

Beefaman, you offering to be my expert sp instructor? I heard you were a blackbelt in the ancient art of soft plastics. ;D

skippa
08-11-2005, 09:02 PM
G'day Darryl,

Nice little spot Wello and definately fishes (bait) best at night. As Brent said a good starting point is around the 4 mtr line and your better off staying away from the crowds ie away from Hubers #;) #no need for gps marks, just look for drains or gutters in the reef. During the day the boys are working the plastics well, zoom zoom #;)

Good to see you got a feed and only had to use a cup full of fuel too, got to be happy with that, especially outta a 18ft half cab. :)

Could be up for a Monday fish, just gotta see what jobs around the house have to be done first #::)

Cheers,
Tony # 8-)

aquarius
08-11-2005, 09:48 PM
Hi Folks, My mate fished Wello this morning and scored a nice 59cm snappery/squire.
Heaps of just legal Grassies and many bustoffs from mackerel.
Cheers #Brent. :)
ps; Don't mind the baito's being there because they attract the fish.
Bait still has its place especially a floating ganged pilly out the back of the boat for a mackerel or 3.

Darryl
09-11-2005, 06:54 AM
Brent i was out there yesterday and the conditions were too good to stay at wello so i bolted for harry's. Silly me, it was like glass out there and i think the fish were having a sleep in.

Tony i'm up for a monday bash in the bay mate . And you couldn't be anymore right with i'm happy about the fuel bill for that trip.

Good_as_Gold
09-11-2005, 07:36 AM
I beets driving down the supermarket to get a feed, well done.

beefaman
09-11-2005, 12:25 PM
Crestcutter. Drop me a PM and we can see what we can organise ;)
I aint no professional though, just lucky ;D

I agree with Brent, the baitos keep the burley up for us...cant tell you the number of times we have drifted down current from baitos and caught nice fish :)