PDA

View Full Version : Brisbane River Squire Bagout 2nd Week Running

Steven78
12-11-2005, 11:40 AM
I had a look at the weather yesturday and it looked ok so I planed a small trip to the river. i got at the ramp at 4:50am and got at spot X at 5:00 I did a few drifts and no bites so I moved location to my other Spot X. First drift I got 3 Squire around 30cm 36cm 36cm Both legal fish where released. I setup another drift and i got another 2 Squire around 45cm and 36cm. I releaed the 36cm and kept the 45cm. I had one last drift and and this time i got 3 more Squire around 31cm 34cm and 37cm. I kept the 37cm and headed back to the ramp and this is when things gets funny I got pulled over twice once by Fisheries and the other by the water Police for saftey checks and reminding me to keep clear of the US Warship that would be going up the river later on.
When i got back to the ramp a Father and Son team came back to the ramp empty handed so i thought i should do the right thing so i grabed the 37cm Squire from the live well and headed to there boat the Squire did not make it to them as i drop it into the water :-X Oh Well.
I was a wonderful day today and i was home by 10am.

Grame and Brent i am still trying to join the 5 + kg plus club but i cannot find any fish of that size ;D

But once again i could have bagged out if i kept all of the fish.

I was using ZOOMS in babybass with 1/8th jig.

I did not take any photos because i could not find the camra.Just a reminder make sure you take your flairs as this was the first thing they asked for.

flickflack
12-11-2005, 01:48 PM
Good trip mate , we got checked in the Tweed as well. must be coming up to holiday season.

Cheech
12-11-2005, 02:21 PM
You sure are on a good run lately. The way you are going it will not be long for that big one. I got picked up 2 weeks ago as well. First time in 2 years. Luckily I have 4 months left on my flairs. Didn't realise they were about to run out.

Dezzer
12-11-2005, 04:21 PM
I must check up on my rules and regs but I wasn't aware that flares were needed in the river.
Cheers

Just_chips
12-11-2005, 04:34 PM
Then I would say that maybe Steven78 could have been fishing outside of the river mouth by at least 1/2 a nautical mile if he was getting asked for flares. He is just trying to keep his everybody fishing inside the river while he sneeks out ;)

Cheers Kev

aquarius
12-11-2005, 06:13 PM
G,Day Steven, We saw your boat this morning on our way over to Mud Island......Mate you got more fish than us but we got 1 at 50cm and only 2 good keepers to bring home.
Headed over to Tangas to jig the 4 beacons without luck so the call went out to return to Mud.
Got a kilometre into our journey before the prop gave out and we ended up having to get Coast Guard Brisbane to give us a tow back to the ramp.
Very exspensive outing !!!!!!!!!!
Cheers Brent ;)

Steven78
12-11-2005, 07:03 PM
Thats not good to here Brent, well any way you still got the bigger fish 8-)
Have you had a look at the prop yet? BTY Just-Chips i was just going past Patricks at fishermens on the way back to the ramp when they pulled me over. I caught all fish inside the river 30m- 40 m from the rock wall on the new extension right near the mouth i was not the only boat there there would have been about 5 or 6 around the same spot which made the drift not that easy. I dont know what depth as the sounder is in for repair.

vertico
12-11-2005, 07:29 PM
1/8th jighead in 30 - 40 m ?

aquarius
12-11-2005, 07:46 PM
Steven it wasn't my boat and yes the prop has the bushing stripped.
Cheers Brent :)

Steven78
12-11-2005, 08:10 PM
Sorry Vertico i was 30-40m from the rock wall. The water depth might have been around 4m but thats just a guess. Brent might know the depth?

bidkev
13-11-2005, 12:06 AM
<snip>

Headed over to Tangas to jig the 4 beacons without luck so the call went out to return to Mud.
Got a kilometre into our journey before the prop gave out and we ended up having to get Coast Guard Brisbane to give us a tow back to the ramp.
Very exspensive outing !!!!!!!!!!
Cheers #Brent ;)

Unlucky Brent but thank feck you've posted this. There has been innumerable answers to posts regarding live bait questions saying words to the effect, "just jig the four beacons". The last 3 times I've been there I've scored bugger all so I think newbies should be made well aware that the 4 beacons are not a foregone conclusion for livebait.

cheers
kev

aquarius
13-11-2005, 05:31 PM
Hi Kev, We went there to try jiging the beacons for school and spotted mackerel but you are correct in saying the bait schools were few and far between.
I guess its a bit early in the season yet for the bay mackerel so we will atempt a return trip in a months time.
Cheers Brent. ;)

vertico
13-11-2005, 05:39 PM
must be a few squire holding up in the mouth of the river

wonder if there is any size to em this time of year ?

aquarius
13-11-2005, 05:58 PM
Vertico there's quite a few squire around the 35 to 40cm mark in the river and they are in good condition.
Drift the edge of the Pinkenba rock wall before sunrise.
Cheers #Brent.