PDA

View Full Version : Good spots for eel-tailed catfish?

onionpants
10-11-2005, 05:40 PM
I'm originally from the USA where catfish is very popular. You can get it in any grocery store, many restaurants serve it, etc. It seems that here in Australia the only way get some decent catfish for the table is to catch it yourself. And it has to be the eel-tailed variety. I tried one of those fork-tailed things and wasn't impressed. The eel-tailed are a different story; very tasty and alot like catfish in the US. I love em'!

I've had some success catching them in the lakes/canals in Robina. I'm in Brisbane. Anyone know of any other good places to catch them in SE Queensland? I'm landbased and prefer to fish in rivers, creeks and canals. Any input is greatly appreciated.

By the way, I've talked to alot of people here who throw the eel-tailed catfish back or use them as crab bait because they think they are a trash fish. I think their appearance might put some people off. If you think they are a trash fish but end up catching one, do yourself a favor and at least try eating it. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Thanks

mjc85
10-11-2005, 06:04 PM
Yeh not many people bother eating these because there is sooooo many better eating fish to be caught, but you need to usually go to the upper reaches of rivers and creeks where the water is rather brackish and a kind of fresh. I know the noosa river has plenty in the upper reaches from the end of the first lake upto the everglades

Just_chips
10-11-2005, 06:24 PM
I have caught them in the local stocked dams like wivenehoe and samsonvale. I think they are also referred to as jewies (calm down all you mulloway jew people, I'm talkin' fresh water jewie) Might also pay to put apost into the freshwater section of the site for some more info.

bdowdy
10-11-2005, 08:38 PM
:)glenlyon dam has monster catties, come on down i know of one bloke who just fishesfor them. i was catching 5to6lb catties the other week on lures, butb release them as there is better eating fish. bdowdy :) :) ;)

land_based
10-11-2005, 10:43 PM
There amomost in plague proportions in the south pine river last time i fished up there.

Cresta57
10-11-2005, 11:01 PM
My son just won the best junior catfish at the annual Tairo fishing comp held on the Mary River @ Tairo half way between Gympie and Maryboro'
The river there is full of catties, we were trolling for bass and the bloody catties were taking the lures before the bass got a look in.

bidkev
10-11-2005, 11:35 PM
I think you guys talking about "plague proportions" are actually talking about fork tailed (armoured/blue) catfish. The eel tailed are a different proposition.

Hiya onionpants. Mate, I think something is going amiss here because (what is regarded as) the eel tailed here on the Northside of Brizzy, are generally small and give you one helluva a belt if you get spiked.

I don't understand your aversion to fork tailed (aka blue or armoured catfish). They are a lovely table fish especially in the months of Nov/Dec. I know a lot of haunts and if I target 'em specifically in a 8 hr session, I can usually acquire at least 6 in the 4 to 8 kilo range. Little is known about 'em but I do know that in the 10 yrs that I've been in Oz Nov/Dec produces the big specimens and they are invariably "in egg". Gut 'em and orange "globules" will fall out of 'em. I think they come in here to breed.

During this time their flesh is at it's whitest and the body mass is greatest. They are the easiest of fish to fillet due to their armour plating. The knife runs along this armour naturally without having to negotiate bones, although the fillets are small compared to the size of the fish.

Members here must be tired of hearing me saying this but yes, I know they are slimey ugly buggers but even Grant's recommend them as a prized table fish so why not give 'em a try?

cheers

kev

onionpants
11-11-2005, 01:54 AM
Kev, thanks for the info!

Last night I was fishing in the Robina canals and I caught a big, fat eel-tailed catfish. As I was trying to get the hook out I noticed a big, orange blob coming out of it's ass. So now I know what that is ;-)

The eel-tailed catfish I've caught in those canals, which are freshwater, are always pretty big. I've caught eel-tailed catfish in saltwater and they are always small. I caught a small one off the jetty at Jacob's Well and learned one hell of a lesson when I tried to take it off the hook with my bare hand. My hand just would not stop bleeding (obviously an anticoagulant venom). I couldn't sleep that night because of the pain and the next morning my hand was swollen beyond belief. Not a pleasant experience, but definitely a learning experience.

The armoured catfish you speak of, where do fish for them? I'm land-based. I have fished from a pontoon in the Brisbane River, Indooroopily, and caught heaps of fork-tailed catfish. None of them very big though and I didn't try eating them because I've heard the water is dirty. Is that the same kind? The one fork-tail catfish I did try to eat I caught in Tingalpa Creek. It was fairly big, but didn't seem to have much meat in proportion to it's size and I thought it tasted a bit funny. But then again maybe it was just that particular fish, so I'm willing to give them another try if they really are good eating.

Thanks for the help!

Chris

Freeeedom
11-11-2005, 05:46 AM
Both the North Pine Dam at Petrie and Somerset Dam have large populations of eel-tails (also called Tandanus - from the scientific name Tandanus tandanus). I often catch them when targeting bass and silver perch. I agree they are excellent table fish and always keep the big ones. Here's a couple from Somerset.
Cheers Freeeedom

Kingo
11-11-2005, 08:40 AM
I gotta agree that they are an excellent eating fish(especially from a running creek).If caught in clean water they are better eating than yellowbelly caught in the same water.Do yourself a favour and try it.

land_based
11-11-2005, 12:19 PM
No kingtin im referring to the freshwater eel tailed catfish as pictured in freedom's photos

cheers

Commodore
11-11-2005, 12:30 PM
Try running creek in the boarder ranges, head towards Beaudesert on the Mt Lindsay Hwy, go toward Rathdowney, take the lions rd turn off and after a few kms you will find some lovely mountain streams. I have caught some very clean catties here and they taste great from this mountain water. Use worms for bait and fish the deeper holes during the day or the shallows at night. You can often see there nests in the clear water and spot fish for them. If you are lucky you might see a platypus as well.

bidkev
11-11-2005, 12:31 PM
No kingtin im referring to the freshwater eel tailed catfish as pictured in freedom's photos

cheers

Okeydokey. I've never caught 'em that size but caught hundreds of small buggers at sandgate pier. They're a bugger to get out of the cast net.

These are the one's that I mean.........the deckie's favourite fish ;D

Gbanger
11-11-2005, 12:45 PM
Moogerah Dam... they give me the royals

onionpants
11-11-2005, 01:18 PM
land_based,

Whereabouts on the South Pine River?

Thanks very much for the info

Az
11-11-2005, 01:38 PM
I found they couldn't resist prawns, was more effective than worms
for us

mangajack
11-11-2005, 03:19 PM
Hi onionpants,

Head up to Dayboro and the road that connects dayboro and Samford crosses several creeks. Each and every one of them holds good supplies of eel tailed catties. Just look for thier round pebble nests and drop a bait on that or throw a small spinning blade lure over it and retrieve just fast enuff to keep it off the bottom.
Gauranteed to catch half a dozen working your way along the creeks and searching for thier nests. My guess is they will be hard at work if the creeks are finally running a little bit after the recent thunderstorms and rain.

Jack

scotty
11-11-2005, 03:55 PM
eel ytailed catfish not a fish eater but no people that will eat the bones of them if you could geting rare in places hence is why they put a size of 35cm on them great fighting fish and evn beter to let them go

cheers

scotty

onionpants
13-11-2005, 11:54 AM
Thanks for the replies! I'm glad I posted here because those are some great ideas and I might try all of the above. In a couple days I think I might just try those creeks between Dayboro and Samford. I'll let you know how it went. Thanks again!

rabbitohbill
13-11-2005, 08:40 PM
There is more chance of hell freezing over than there is of me eating one of those.
Think I'll stick to my flathead fillets. :-?

Louis
14-11-2005, 02:55 PM
G'day Onionpants,

Refering to your earlier comment about giving the "fork-tailed" caties another go:

I agree with Kingtin. They are quite edible.

At the moment they are in plague proportions in Wivenhoe dam.

Just find a spot where you can fish over a gravel bottom and use bait.

They tend to like prawns or squid.

Louis

major-defect
14-11-2005, 06:29 PM
upper reaches of the brisbane river near Linville.Good camping and big catties.

major-defect
14-11-2005, 06:35 PM
I've had the forked tails smoked and they were good chewing.My brother used to skin the eeltails then pack em in salt overnite in the fridge.In the morning there would be a dirty jelly all over them,once that and the salt is washed off they are great eating with no muddy taste.

onionpants
15-11-2005, 12:16 AM
Tried the creeks between Dayboro and Samford and it just didn't work out for me. The problem was access to the creeks. There weren't any paths to walk along them. Kobble Creek had crystal clear water that I waded through with my rod and bait, until the water level got past my thighs which is about my wading limit. I saw no catfish nests, or any sign of any fish.

So I tried a section of the South Pine River which was very swampy and weedy, but with a few accessible stretches of open water. I caught one nice eel-tailed catfish, about 2 kilos, the only one I managed to catch all day. But at least I came home with something. Also caught an eel and four turtles. Hate catching those turtles because I feel sorry for them and it's a pain getting the hook out without hurting them any more than you already have. But all four turtles swam off and will survive.

An nice day out but was hoping to catch a few eel-tailed catfish rather than just one.