PDA

View Full Version : La Balsa Park, 13/11/05

imnotoriginal
14-11-2005, 09:09 AM
Fished the park just before dusk last night for just over an hour. Was using a popper to try and stir up any trevors hanging around, but didn't see any surface action while I was there. Speaking with a few other fishos they said it had been dead for a few hours with nothing moving. Might have something to do with the huge group of idiots on a power yacht making more noise than an atomic explosion. Will try again during the week.
Joel

cuzzamundi
14-11-2005, 05:23 PM
let us know how you go joel. we used to have good success around the other side amongst the trawler moorings! some thumper bream there too. hope next one's better mate.

cheers,

cuzza

imnotoriginal
14-11-2005, 06:42 PM
I tried again today, started at the military jetty and was there for about an hour. I got one small flathead on my first cast and hooked up to a small bream or something similar after, but he spat the hook. Then drove to LBP and tried for a while, but just kept losing tails to toadies. I might try the other side cuzza, I was looking at it today and I thought it looked like there was more strcuture than over the park side. It's strange though, the first time i ever fished there there were fish jumping all over the place. But these last two times i haven't seen a thing.
Joel

Fishin_Dan
14-11-2005, 06:48 PM
I've found that toadies seem to love "brown coloured" plastics... Things like Pumpkinseed, etc, seem to get hammered by toadies. If you change to a different colour, they may leave it alone...

Also try targeting different structure (maybe slightly deeper) till you find one with less toadies. Unfortunately, they are a plastics fishermans worst enemy though, and they will chomp your tails! Just check your tails after each cast...

imnotoriginal
14-11-2005, 09:07 PM
yeah, the first one they chomped to death was a 2 inch gulp in pumpkinseed. Then they chomped a mann's in pink and a kokoda in red...but they were most vigorous with the brown one. I tried some deeper water and i managed to get snagged with a jighead on, the last one of the right size (my fault, have put off buying more). Oh well, i will persist. Any other idea for good areas around the sunny coast, i'm willing to travel for a little bit, but i'm landbased. I will keep you all posted my success (or lack thereof).
Joel

imnotoriginal
15-11-2005, 08:59 PM
Tried Kawana Beach this afternoon, while it was belting down rain. Was getting a few fish just in front of access point 14 before the wind picked up even more and it became impossible to get any hold on the bottom. Nonetheless, prior to that I got a small bream, a baby dart and two summer whiting all on worms. Might try tomorrow morning if I can.
Joel

Hookem_Herby
16-11-2005, 06:47 AM
Mate,
LBP produces fish but rarely on w/ends or during the day when there is a lot of activity on the water. Try early morn or evenings instead. I fished live baits up that way one night last week and picked up a 2kg Trevally, 1.5kg flathead and 3 thumper bream, one of which went 42cms and over the 1kg mark.
Tried poppers and hard bodies on sunset/dusk and didn't get a touch. Couldn't see anything surface feeding either, altho I watched a massive Eagle Ray free jumping up the channel several times which was an awesome sight. #:o #:D
Keep persisting mate ;)

Also try further upstream, McKenzies bridge and Parrearra Canal can produce good fish on lures. #;)

Good luck,
Herby

imnotoriginal
16-11-2005, 06:13 PM
Herby, two of my trips were during late afternoon/early evening and one was during early morning. Despite being there for sunrise/sunset I still couldn't get a look from anything but toadies. Where did you get the live bait? is there a spot nearby? I'm sure the spot does produce, but so far not for me.
Joel

Hookem_Herby
17-11-2005, 09:14 AM
Check your PM Joel ;)
Cheers,
Herby