PDA

View Full Version : Macleay island shallows

allniter
15-11-2005, 01:24 PM
Well, with all you mob doing so well lately in the bay,
it was finally my turn to soak some baits after not fishing for a few weeks. :P
With a s/e to n/e forecast ::) ::) ::) i thought a trip back to macleay island could be worth a go.........
Anchored up in about 2 metres in the shallows right on dusk, nice light easterly and plenty of cloud cover to block the moon - things were going alright with a few grass sweetlip in the esky.
Tide started going out, so moved to another spot x , a bit deeper out on a little piece of reef and landed a nice spangled emperor at 50cm.
Then the bloody wind changed to northerly and started blowin to about 15 to 20 knots, with surf rolling in...... :'( :'(
That was the end of that ...... friggin wind.
Good to get back out on the bay again though :D
regards darren

allniter
15-11-2005, 01:26 PM
coupla grassies

SimonT
15-11-2005, 01:28 PM
Nice fish!! I must try fishing in the southern bay sometime.

NeMo84
15-11-2005, 02:21 PM
hey lovely fish there mate, my old man used to own a block of land on macleay but unfortunately i was pretty young at the time and so i didnt get to fish it, the sweeties were caught in such shallow water? what strength line were you using?

youngfisho
15-11-2005, 04:56 PM
Nice fish there darren, I think macley is a very underated fishing spot, esp when its blowing, you can usually get out of the wind and fish there with comfort (se sea breeze). Iron stem seems to be the pick of the spots for me. Bit weird on the tide though. difficult current, am never sure which way the boats gonna swing. what ramp do you leave from

andrew

Fishinmishin
15-11-2005, 05:01 PM
You put together a very nice feed mate. I once fished the island and could only manage grinners and bream :P ;).
Cheers, Jay

allniter
15-11-2005, 05:41 PM
Nemo - yes mate ,most rocky, reefy spots around the area - i usually use 20 pound "vanish" leader for all bay shallow night fishing, on really light rods though.

Andrew - yes mate i agree with you that macleay is underrated - but hey......, more for us ;)
the stem can be good hey - only worth fishing on the flood tide though - give "potts point" a go as well.
i leave from weinam creek or viccy point.

Jay, only a snack compared to your catches on your expeditions mate
"cobia kid"
;D
how's that new rig going - see arn't you glad you didn't buy a tinnie ?

youngfisho
15-11-2005, 05:44 PM
Have found the viccy point ramp to be really shallow out the front. Is there a nak to it. Just about everytime we have run aground there.

andrew

allniter
15-11-2005, 06:34 PM
Yes andrew, there is a huge mud/weed bank between the ramp and coochie.
when leaving the northern ramp with the pontoon ,going to macleay, turn right immediately and hug the red beacons as close as you can,
it doesnt get much deeper until you go past the southern ramp,
and once you pass that last red, turn left and you've then got no worries.
don't worry even the bays VETERANS have touched mud along there......
HEY WEBBY... ;D ;D

webby
15-11-2005, 06:37 PM
Here i was thinking the sprinklers had swolled you up ;)
Good to see the grassies have shown, and a few yellows around.
Thats a good yellow for the southern end of the bay.
Have to get another trip organized mate.
regards

Scott15
15-11-2005, 06:37 PM
nice lippers ;) ;)

Cheech
15-11-2005, 08:11 PM
Was wondering what you were up to. Been a bit quiet lately. Interesting that you get very few reports from there. I suppose it is like a lot of places,,, people think it is a dud unless you are one of the few in the secret club that know how and when to fish it. Looking forward to a few of them turning up at Mud. Don't know what it is about them, but most people when it comes up in conversation say they like catching them as well.

Cheech

aquarius
15-11-2005, 09:14 PM
G,Day Darren.......Mate i was wondering when you were going to fish your favourite summer time haunt.
Very nice catch especially that spangled.........I just had my spangled emperor today for lunch.......very tasty indeed.
Cheers Brent ;)

foggy
15-11-2005, 09:40 PM
Nice lipper. Excellent early season fish.

allniter
16-11-2005, 09:08 AM
Webby - the sprinkler business has now died in the arse......
i wonder why ? ;D
more fishing time now :D

Craig - my son and i must have spent about two years fishing around coochie and macleay at night - before moving out to mud - we finally found some good spots,
but can still be hot and then cold like anywhere else i guess.

Brent - yes mate i saw your lipper from peel !
they may have been brother and sister
I think it was webbys theory that as the bait moves further south during the summer months, so do some of the snappery/squire and other reefies

DNO40
17-11-2005, 08:57 PM
I find Macleay Island to fish exceptionally well. I stay in a shack on Russell every year for two weeks after Xmas and fish it often and with good results usually.

DNO