PDA

View Full Version : 6  Jewie Day !!!

flickflack
15-11-2005, 02:21 PM
Met up with Tony Zann for a fish on Monday with the intention of pinning a few Jew on Softies. The day started off really slow with heaps of muck floating in the river so we scouted around for some clean water catching the odd flathead to keep us interested. We did manage a few around the 50 To 60cm range but not what we were after. I stuck with the heavy gear and big plastics while Tony decided that he would fish light and catch whatever came along, luckily for us he did. Tony got the first soapie on a 4 inch berkley minnow that put a bit of a smile on our faces. After I got a few more flatties on the 6 inch minnows he pinned another good size jew that gave him the run around on the light gear. The fish went 87cm and 5.3kg. A good fish on light gear. He had a docs appointment so I went and dropped him off and after a bit of a break went out again for the aavo. The tide was really ripping out so I threw a few deep divers out the back and decided to kill a bit af time waiting for it to slow down. I only went about 20 m when the one rod screamed off. A 87cm jew was gladly netted, well that made the trip right there. I got another one of 85cm towing about an hour later and then decided it was tmie to go the softies again. Tony had got his fishing with a 1/8 ounce gamakatsu darter jighead , which I didnt have so I went with a 1/4 ounce roundball Gamakatsu jighead and stuck on a zoom super fluke in lemon shad on the 4 lb bream rod. about 6th cast I felt a tap and came up solid. jew no 5 hit the net a few mins later and I pinned no 6 just before it was time to head home.
What a day !!!!!! :) :)
I think it will be pretty hard to duplicate such an awesome day Tony and me both fept one each for a feed and all the rest were released. Had mine grilled in the oven last night very nice ;D

Good fishing Guys

Roderick.

flickflack
15-11-2005, 02:21 PM
Tony with no 2

flickflack
15-11-2005, 02:22 PM
a close up

flickflack
15-11-2005, 02:23 PM
First one on hardbody

flickflack
15-11-2005, 02:23 PM
no 2 on the hardbody

flickflack
15-11-2005, 02:24 PM
jew no 5

flickflack
15-11-2005, 02:25 PM
And no 6

morty103
15-11-2005, 02:31 PM
Good on you rod
Really well done
I think its time to start up Flickflacks Fishing Adventures on channel 7 Saturday avo ;D ;D
Morty

MJ
15-11-2005, 02:39 PM
What can one say! ;) ;) ;) Especially on hard body lures. Mike

MJ
15-11-2005, 02:43 PM
Rod, forgot to ask. Was it in the Tweed? Ta, Mike.

15-11-2005, 03:09 PM
Some quality fish there Rod ...... love your reports. Keep em coming!

LOL apologies for the on-going tackle queries but are there tacklo's down the tweed which have stock of the Segaeke that you are using? And how much do they retail for down your way? I have been trying to track one down since my local tacklo sold out on em :(

Regards
CT

manacubus
15-11-2005, 03:33 PM
Wow - that's fantastic, nice job! What kind of technique were you using with the plastics? Flicking them into structure?

Scott15
15-11-2005, 03:42 PM
and again....... top work rod, see if we can get one at chrissy ay ;)

gogecko
15-11-2005, 04:13 PM
Well done Rod, just another day at the office , eh?

I must say a big thank you for the level of assistance that you give all here. It doesnt matter whether its a newbie or an old timer, you are always willing to share advice on tackle, rigs, and lure techniques. Im sure all of of us agree that we really appreciate the level of openess you give. No, I dont want to know your spots and would never ask. All we want is help with techniques, and Ive noticed that you answer nearly every question put to you.

So one more question, if I may...
You mention current. How do you deal with strong current? Do you throw your deep divers out the back at anchor, or troll?

I was off Wavebreak Is Sat nite and the current was ripping. A 5in Drop Bear SP with very heavy jighead (I think its 1.5 oz) couldnt find bottom, so I threw a hard bodied jew lure out that dives to 20ft. We were anchored over a large baitfish school and the sounder went beserk. I could feel the lures action working as it should, and the current was enough to keep it deep, even on the pick. Yet nothing bit. I changed lures a few times, tried a rattler, and although the big fish were under the school for a half hour, nothing bit. Should I give up and go home when the current is too strong? I notice most of the other boats did.

Its very frustrating when you can see your over lots of fish, yet nothing in the tackle box is working.

flickflack
15-11-2005, 04:34 PM
Mike
No mate a bit further south

CT
I think Graham at angler's warehouse might still have. not sure on price, they are an awesome rod bud

Manacubus

no structure mate just fishing them slowly close to the bottom in deep water around bait.

goge

Tuff question its hard to fish anything in that current around wavebreak, but if you wait for the change it might only give you a few minutes thats normally the time when you can get them on sp's, you can also try a drop shot rig in heavy current where you put a weight at the bottom and your hook about a foot and a half above the weight. Fish a sp just lightly hooked through the nose. Always try to fish it vertically with an up and down motion, I have done well like this in current. as you go bigger with the weight increase the size of sp and just make sure the sp doesnt spin on the drop it must swim straight down.

Spaniard_King
15-11-2005, 04:47 PM
Awwwsome.

Thats great fishing. Thanks for the report

Garry

15-11-2005, 04:50 PM
Totally agree gogecko. Ditto!

flickflack
15-11-2005, 06:18 PM
cheers guys

stu68
15-11-2005, 08:58 PM
To much work not enought time to fish,hey flickflack.
Heaven help the fish population when you do get some time off.
Great report keepem coming great stuff.

matthill80
15-11-2005, 10:13 PM
top stuff rod some solid looking jewies there might have to try for some again one day soon

how does your mate tony like the td sol?? i am looking at buying one real soon

cheers matt

Holy_Mackerel
15-11-2005, 10:58 PM
That's great fishing Flickflack! Well done mate. What a great way to fish.

gogecko
16-11-2005, 08:42 AM
Ahhhh, the drop shot rig. hadnt thought of that one.
Great suggestion.
thx rod.

Andrew

flickflack
16-11-2005, 11:10 AM
Matt

He is pretty happy with it , sais its nice and smooth. I had a good look at one a few weeks ago but sanity prevailed. I will wait till my pflueger falls apart till I replace it with a 2500 size reel. Till then i will still keep sticking it to them on the old stradic 1000 and 4lb.

Fished_out
16-11-2005, 12:22 PM
Flickflack
Great catch. I love that waterway and miss it badly.

I'm curious what's the biggest jewie you have caught up there on SPs? How good would it be if they could get rid of the pro's!?

Cheers
Wayne

flickflack
16-11-2005, 12:59 PM
Wayne
Biggest jew there was 8kg , majority of them are between 75 and 85 but have heard plenty of stories of black fish fisherman being done by big jew grabbing their blackfish. Wayne I find it hard to believe that the rivers in Aus are allowed to be netted, I dont want to start knocking the pros I was one in South Africa for 13 years, but I feel a bit despondent when I get to one of my favourite spots in the Tweed at 3 in the morning and a pro is busy picking up his nets right on the spot where I wanted to fish for jew. I dont get it mate. I think all the rivers would go off if they weren't netted, but hey I havent been in Aus that long so dont think I have a right to be shouting too loud.

Fished_out
16-11-2005, 01:54 PM
It's a pity they're still in there. I'll leave it at that too - not out for a pro bash, just dissappointed about what that waterway could be.

Have you fished along the mouth walls from your boat? Unfortunately I left the area just before SPing became the next big thing >:(

I've got a few down in Sydney, biggest just over 10kg. That river will produce some good fish, especially around the mullet run. 30-40lb on bait are the norm - I hope you can get into the big ones (Not that 8kg is a bad fish, but I'm sure you know what I'm talking about)

Did you chase Kob over there?

Wayne

fritzy
16-11-2005, 02:15 PM
Flickflack,
that is unbelieveable mate. I still haven't taken even one jew (on a bait) and away you go and smash 6 on the one day!! On lures!! Great work mate, wondering whethter you troll using the electric or the petrol motor, and for your mangrove jack trolling?
Cheers Fritzy

jackash
16-11-2005, 02:36 PM
Yet again... do you ever not catch something AWESOME?
Cheers
Jackash

flickflack
16-11-2005, 02:53 PM
Troll with the outboard fritzy

flickflack
16-11-2005, 02:58 PM
Wayne

Havent fish them yet no.

Mate i caught heaps of kob in SA casting big minnows from the surf around the river mouths on 14ft rods and big overheads. The best time was also through the winter. Biggest on a minnow was 40kg. It was the fish I chased the most in SA they were very specific in the formation you fished and the tide played a big roll. Hard work with the big rods but rewards were worth it.

Kai_Lo
16-11-2005, 03:57 PM
what the report! hoping Brisbane river would produce similar report.

outsiderskip
16-11-2005, 05:56 PM
well done rod
good catch of soapies

cheers pete

rocket
16-11-2005, 07:08 PM
You need to go back to work!!! I have just come to terms with Foxy's Red Emperor catches and got that out of the system as being an expensive, not so achievable exercise, BUT then you start showing that Jewies are readily available (and in the daytime)!!

I have caught a lot of jew, but it's been along time between drinks AND I have hardly caught any in the day time hours.

Gotta love Jewies ... I'll trade you ten big snapper for every average schoolie (Not soapies) you catch. THAT'S SENSATIONAL STUFF!!! 8-)

flickflack
16-11-2005, 07:12 PM
Rocket

You might have a deal there mate

Rod

no_wind
16-11-2005, 07:27 PM
champion stuff there rod,I look forward to your weekly reports
if you get a chance to reply, do you check your lures for weed regulary when trolling?and what speed do you normaly troll for jacks thanks,
keep it up.

flickflack
16-11-2005, 07:50 PM
No Wind

I normally troll as slow as my motor will go, while i am trolling I give the rod a few very hard cracks to clear the lure of weed, but you can genereally feel when the lure picks up something it wont have the same rattling action on the rod tip.

cuzzamundi
16-11-2005, 08:15 PM
gday rod,

unbelievable! just as we get over your jack captures here come the jewies!!! sensational stuff!

cheers,

cuzza

fritzy
17-11-2005, 01:01 PM
Cheers Flickflack,
keen to get out this weekend and do a spot of trolling. We have had some limited sucess going at minimal speed - is this the best technique. May have to buy some more hardbodies - looks as though those livlie lures are a bit of a favourite of yours?? Any others worth looking at??
Cheers mate,
Fritzy

flickflack
17-11-2005, 01:05 PM
I only tow them and shad raps, but my mate swears by wally divers. the good old manns are also good. But me its either the lively lures or shad raps.

flickflack
17-11-2005, 01:15 PM
Fritzy

Sorry mate I use those for the jacks but we got the jewies on very deep divers towing them in 30 plus feet of water.

fritzy
17-11-2005, 01:53 PM
Thanks rod,
thats what i was after. Will be heading to the gold coast canals in the next couple of weeks and will be hoping to pin a jack on the troll.
Cheers Fritzy

fishomatic
19-11-2005, 10:30 AM
Very good effort, especially using the hardbodies in strong current in broad daylight!
Matt

fishomatic
19-11-2005, 11:01 AM
Just testing to see if my pic works

cyclops
19-11-2005, 03:25 PM
flickflack u amaze me every time ;)

rabbitohbill
19-11-2005, 03:59 PM
flickflack u amaze me every time ;)

I'm hearing feedback he drops grenades. [smiley=cowboy.gif]

flickflack
19-11-2005, 06:08 PM
Rabbitoh

Only little ones mate

matthill80
19-11-2005, 09:58 PM
got the sol mate and it an awesome reelso unbelievably smooth sold my 2 stradics to buy it tho (thanks kiktz :)) 5kg of drag from a 2000 size reel u gotta love that ;)

cheers matt

lukesnapper
19-11-2005, 10:37 PM
what a day rod! all top quality jew there mate! :)