PDA

View Full Version : Upper Noosa River

mjc85
20-11-2005, 07:26 PM
Went on a hunt for some jacks and crabs up past the 1st lake, managed to monster :( Female muddies.

There was quite alot of boofing going on around snags and prawns jumping out (jacks hunting u reckon?), so we got some live whiting, biddies and gars only to have our baits chomped and had some really solid hits and runs but no hookups, duno if it was just fast catfish?

Managed 4 catfish, thats all. Are catfish any good crab bait ?

Oh and water temp was a steady 29*C

cuzzamundi
20-11-2005, 09:42 PM
mjc85,

mate thats great watrer temp! usually the catties'll hook up if they hit your bait so they very well coulda been red terrors! you were definitely using the right bait! i get the same thing with livies - hits but no hook ups at times. were the hooks the right size for the bait? did you have em round the head of the baitfish? all these factors can influence whether you hook up or not. bet it was great day either way - beaut system that one.
cheers,

cuzza

cuzzamundi
20-11-2005, 09:47 PM
oh yeah, catties are great crab bait. just mush em up a bit, get the blood flowing, and youre away!

cuzza

keen_as_mustard
20-11-2005, 10:04 PM
..catties are a great crab pot bait - just don't forget to cut the three spines off with some pliers before you use them - they still hurt even when they are dead!

mjc85
21-11-2005, 10:39 AM
cuzzamundi
Yeh hopefully they were jacks, yeh we dd put the hooks in the head a few times, i think we were using 4/0 Mustad Big Red hooks.

marty_z
Haha yeh i punished them yesterday, cut them into 3 pieces with a tomahawk and snapped all their spines off.

We were anchored like 5 metres out from this snag were prawns and bait was getting smashed, and we were still getting big hits even sitting so close