PDA

View Full Version : I got my first fish

MagicRik
23-11-2005, 03:53 PM
i took out my new stuff today for about two hours, just for a quicky and got my first fish.......
i know its sad im putting it up here, but its my first fish......i was like yes my first fish :) hmmmmmmmm what is it? :-/.......so i took a pic.
the poor thing made a miss of itself....i was using suicide size 2 hooks and dropped down to a smaller hook, cos damn puffer fish was eatting all my bait. So i moved to longshank size 6 hook.
As you can tell ive not a clue what im doing....but i through if the fish can eat the bait off the hook, then the hooks too big. anyway the poor fish took the hook in its mouth and out under its eye.....i got it out fine and it swam off ok.
So what did i catch?
i was fishing off glebe point with green prawns, if anyone has any tips that would be great
Thanks Rik

Zeeke
23-11-2005, 04:05 PM
Looks like a spikey trumpeter... they got nice gill spikes.. and they know how to use them.. they swing there head at you when you try and pick them up..

Congrats on your first fish

Tim

szopen
23-11-2005, 04:20 PM
Congratulations and wishing you many more to come.
Bigger ones as well.

cuzzamundi
23-11-2005, 05:01 PM
well done mate! welcome to the addiction.

cheers,

cuzza

MagicRik
23-11-2005, 05:05 PM
thanks guys.
As for them spikes hell yeah they know how to use them.

bidkev
23-11-2005, 05:50 PM
thanks guys.
As for them spikes hell yeah they know how to use them.

Conratulations Rik. When you get up here I'll introduce you to a Happy Moment or a nice Lizard gill spike. You'll be well enthroned in the hall of fame then ;D

Mate, don't know how long you've been out here but the pommy saying about Qld is, "That if it doesn't, spit at you, then it'll sting you, or if it doesn't do that, it'll spike you, or failing that, it'll bite you, and if it just doesn't have any of those in it's armoury, then it'll simply shit on you".......................and that's only the general public! :o wait till you meet the wildlife! ;) ;D ;D

cheers

kev

CHRIS_aka_GWH
23-11-2005, 06:24 PM
now rick,

take the sinker off ya line, take that critter & put a 4/0 hook just in front of his dorsal fin, tie a balloon about 10ft up from him & set him free .....

oh yeah,

..keep a hand on ya rod ;)

welcome to fishing - you'll be broke in no time !

rabbitohbill
23-11-2005, 08:08 PM
I was catching those things in plaque proportions in the upper tweed 2 summers ago. Haven't seen one since.
I was trying to ID them, & stripey trumpeter was as close as I got, but I'm not convinced.

fishomatic
24-11-2005, 06:40 AM
Hope it starts you off on a long and happy fishing life.
Matt

MagicRik
24-11-2005, 08:02 AM
ive been up 20 min had some breekie and im off fishing again, its not even 9 am but i think the tide is on its way in so im off out.....

flickflack
24-11-2005, 10:10 AM
Congrats on the opener mate, now it begins

mjc85
24-11-2005, 10:37 AM
Congrats on the first fish, there shall be plenty bigger and better ones to come, i can still remember my first fish. A Bream off the Hornibrook Bridge like 14 years ago on one of those $19.95 kmart outfit.

RobSee
24-11-2005, 10:52 AM
Banded trumpeter.

Sometimes get them at whalleys gutter jigging for flatties. (foul hooked)

NeMo84
24-11-2005, 11:02 AM
yeh congrats mate, im sure there'll be some decent bream at that spot so keep persevering and im sure its only a matter of time before you come up with some even better fish, by glebe do u mean in sydney?

Louis
24-11-2005, 12:42 PM
Congratulations on your first fish MagicRik

You'll probably remember this fish for the rest of your life.

My first was a tiny winter whiting from the "Causeway" up Yeppoon way when I was about 4 years old.

With the Trumpeter: If you put them up to your ear you will here them making a noise: It doesn't sound like a trumpet to me, but I believe that is where they get their name from.

Louis

tshort
24-11-2005, 01:07 PM
Now thats how addictions start.

MagicRik
24-11-2005, 03:00 PM
yes glebe point in sydney Nemo.
I got another today was low tide not high, was reading the tide table wrong lol.
was a tailer 23cm
i took tape this time :)