PDA

View Full Version : Bay 24th

Darryl
24-11-2005, 09:46 PM
Well started off with wifey and i wanting to have 4 days on the water at curtain, didn't work that way as usual, we knew the afternoon storms were going to be a problem but couldn't get over yesterday afternoon so decided to fish the bottom reefs around peel for the usual squire etc.

Headed up lazerus's gutter for a camp and thought we would start an early attack for curtain before the wind got up. Got up at 430am and started too head out towards mud too have a quick look before we headed over to curtain.

Birds started going nuts so of course had to get the mighty lures out and have a go. At first i thought knowing my luck it would be a school of catfish but first cast and i was on to something pretty good. After about 20 minutes as i was only fishing light i boated my first ever longtail.

I was over the moon as the boat was covered in blood and of course had wifey going off in the background about the blood in the boat. ::) I was that happy i could have smeared the blood over my face like war paint. ;D

So after the first i thought i want another, and of course i nearly needed a defibulator after the first one as i'm unfit as the come of late. Cut a long story short i ended up getting 3 longtails in the boat in about an hour, which was just as well becase it got pretty rough and was quite uncomfortable.

So i'm as pround as punch to get my first longtails out of the bay and even though the weather was absoulute crap we still enjoyed ourselves.

Fish were caught on 10 gram halco's with a slosh of pink on them on a diawa ondine 3500 reel with a 6 /10 kg shakespear emerald uglystick between peel and green island.

Darryl
24-11-2005, 09:48 PM
:-?

Darryl
24-11-2005, 09:52 PM
::)

land_based
24-11-2005, 09:53 PM
Great looking fish mate and great photo too. I bet he gave you some curry on light gear!!

Darryl
24-11-2005, 09:57 PM
Ow and nearly clobbered this on my way past green.

And no fellas there were no mahi mahi under it ::) ;D

Anyways hope i didnt bore yas but that was my day that i enjoyed even though conditions were crap.

Darryl

Darryl
24-11-2005, 10:01 PM
Certainly gave me curry landbased, they are great fun mate i can tell ya on light gear.

Brejen
24-11-2005, 10:03 PM
Top stuff Darryl.
Bit a bad luck about cutting the trip short tho.

Next time we go into the bay i'll have to have you along my last Skippa didn't put us onto any fish. Not his fault tho. I just recently heard he's a little nuts ;D ;D ;D.

Talk soon hey.

Brett

Darryl
24-11-2005, 10:07 PM
Hhaaah for sure brett , i reckon it must have been webbys lucky esky i bought off him mate, it's a fish magnet, holds a lot of beer too ;D.

Mate at least you wont get wet in the carribean ;D

Sorry tony, had to say it . ;D ;D

jibby
24-11-2005, 10:08 PM
Lovely Report well done I will have to get out and give that a go :D. This is my first summer with a boat up here and I plan to make the most of it. Thanks for all the info to, it would be great if more people coughed up some once in a while ::).

Darryl
24-11-2005, 10:14 PM
Mate i'm happy to give out what info i can, despite what everywhone says there are a shitload of fish out there to be had. I'm pretty new to the bay as most of my fishing has been done off the gold coast.

But it's just about getting out there and having a look. If you are anywhere near peel island at sun up and head north mate look for the birds and these guys or bonito are always there, nearly every morning.

uripper
24-11-2005, 10:18 PM
Crestcutter,
Now thats a great post - good story, good info, no crap.
You have to be keen to fish in those conditions - well done.
Am puzzled though, tuna on bait board - what is hanging out of its mouth ??
What type of lures??
Rip.

Darryl
24-11-2005, 10:32 PM
Thats the 10 gram Halco lure mate hanging out of its mouth. Wifey was taking 20 pictures a second. Yeah just the lure mate, i was looking for the clobbering stick to calm it down so it had only just hit the deck.

Shitty picture of the lure but should give you an idea rip.

Brejen
24-11-2005, 10:41 PM
Any wonder you had to go fishin Darryl your dinner plate not looking all that full mate. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D.

Love the bit about the hugs and kisses freakin about the blood..

cyclops
24-11-2005, 10:49 PM
That's some really nice longtail mate, it's amazing what you can spin up in the paddock...

Fishin_Dan
24-11-2005, 10:55 PM
[smiley=laola.gif] CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

That's a very nice effort mate! Especially in close!!!

Gotta get me one of them buggers....

What line did you catch them on? Did you find it hard to wind really fast with the 3500?

Darryl
24-11-2005, 11:04 PM
12 pound line dan, and i had to wind like hell to get them. I found letting it sink for a couple of seconds worked then wound like shit.

It was hard enough trying to cast in the wind that was there but they didnt seem to dissapear today when you motored up to them. They were quite happy to be choppin up all round the boat with the motor running as well.

All the other rods were rigged with paternosters dan so it was my only spare sitting there so i thought bugger it. ;D

So 12 pound line and it took me nearly 20 minutes a piece to boat them. Nearly had a heart attack mate by the time it was in the boat ;D

Times 3 and i was ready for an afternoon kip. ;D

Darryl
24-11-2005, 11:06 PM
Brett i had to get a fish mate, that lighter was all we had in the fridge mate ;D ;D ;D

lukesnapper
25-11-2005, 12:13 AM
nice longtail mate, i bet that had a few hard runs! pic 2 is a beauty!
lookin at the water at that time of the mornin the white caps arnt far off!!

p.s i reakon its round 30 kilos! ;) ;) ;) ;)

Tony_N
25-11-2005, 06:24 AM

;D ;D ;D # Lukesnapper (you must have seen how thick they were)

mjc85
25-11-2005, 07:14 AM
Hey, just wondering how do longtails go as sashimi ? Are they as good as yellowfin ?

Frank_Oostenbroek
25-11-2005, 08:18 AM
Nice Work!!!

Billo
25-11-2005, 08:23 AM
Love those bluefin ...not one , but 3 ...top effort !!!!!!!

That little halco is a surpriser , i have a few and have been reluctant to use them ....may need to give it a try

Darryl
25-11-2005, 09:35 AM
Luke i reckon more like 40 kilos mate, had a brick or 2 in its stomach ::) ;D ;D

Billo i normally use just a silver plug but of late they havent been interested so just though i would try the halco. And it seemed to work.

Argle
25-11-2005, 10:21 AM
Very nice work, have managed to get connected to a couple of longtails off Bribie but am still waiting to get one in the boat. I know what you mean about heart failure though, man they just go like freight trains.
Roll on the next non work weekend and look out bay!!

Cheers

bidkev
25-11-2005, 10:43 AM
Nice report mate. Your enthusiasm is infectious.

cheers

kev

lukesnapper
25-11-2005, 11:26 AM

;D ;D ;D # Lukesnapper #(you must have seen how thick they were)
LOL ;D ;D ;D ;D

longtail
25-11-2005, 07:43 PM
nice job there darryl ;)

good report mate , plenty of info and good for a laugh ;D ;D
bet the dinner plate looks more appetising now ::)

cheers
jason

skippa
25-11-2005, 07:54 PM
Geez guys,

It WAS pretty rough that day you know, sure as hell would of got wet in 'that old haines' too ... :P The Brisbane Southwind boat club members (all of us) have discussed this and we all agree ;D ;D

reckon you mighta got wet if ya hit that log .... gurgle gurgle oooOOOOO

Nice catch anyway Darryl , good to see you hooking onto some goodies in the bay. Rub your face in blood just luv it ;D ;D always pays to carry a rod with a slug eh. Good work mate.

Hopefully might be able to get on the water Mon or Tues. ::)

Cheers,
Tony 8-)
Time go and play Pool in my new garage suckin on a stub or two ;D

Darryl
25-11-2005, 08:25 PM
Jason, the kids are sick of eating lighters so they are pleased to be having a feed of fish ;D ;D ;D

Tony, i will be there in 40 mins, throw a few coldies in the fridge for me mate. ;D

2DKnBJ
25-11-2005, 08:48 PM
Darryl
Pity your trip was cut short but atleast you got out and had a go.And a very good one at that :D .Some nice fish there and i am yet to bag one of those little speedsters.
Might have to hook up and go chasing them with you one weekend soon.
Cheers Dazza

Darryl
25-11-2005, 09:20 PM
For sure dazza, anytime you want too mate thats more than fine with me.

Look forward to it.

Darryl